HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   checking deer cams (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/326534-checking-deer-cams.html)

bowhuntermadness 07-26-2010 11:54 AM

checking deer cams

i just recently got a cuddeback and have been setting it out in various places; some places i have more luck and others not so good, but i was wondering once you guys set yours out there, how long do you usually leave it there before checking it again? and why is your reason for that?

H.L.H 07-26-2010 12:06 PM

I usually leave mine out for at least a week. The big buck you are trying to get a picture of is smart and checking your trail camera every other day and keeping your scent in the area will make him suspicious and keep him away. Set it out and give your scent some time to go away.

PastorJim08 07-26-2010 12:33 PM

I know it's hard but you need to leave them at least 2-3 weeks before checking them again. You don't want to put to much pressure on the spots. When you do check them, treat it like you're hunting. Be careful with your scent and everything else you do when you actually hunt.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

YooperMike 07-26-2010 12:40 PM

I let mine go at least 10 days. Having a 45 minute drive helps me control the urges to check them more. I also set my cams where I can get to them very easily and quickly. Field edges, roads, walking paths, all spots where I can enter and exit with very little disturbance. Pressure is pressure, and checking cams is no different than pressure during season. Wear your scent-free boots!

Hunting Kuk 07-26-2010 12:58 PM

I leave mine out 2-3 week's.. But the summer heat helps me stay away from it easily :D

diamondrack 07-26-2010 12:59 PM

2-3 weeks if possible in order to not hommie up your hot spots. In some areas I wait 3-4 weeks before going in and walking to retrieve my pics. Also, although its not season yet I still try to prevent as much of my scent as possible. I will spray down and wear rubber boats.. trail cams can be very benificial if used correctly but if you are going in and checking them every other day or every week, chances are you alerting everything that you are there.

luke/r 07-26-2010 01:32 PM

A couple weeks.

passthru79 07-26-2010 02:00 PM

I give mine 1-2 weeks during the summer before I check them. If I have mine set out during deer season it all depends if I am going to pass by the camera going to or coming from a stand. I try not to make any unnecessary trips in the woods unless Im hunting.

Mottz 07-26-2010 05:22 PM

Once a week. Pics always tend to slow down when the crops get to their different stages. So I need to move them around to find what direction they may be heading. If a cam isn't getting pics for 2 or 3 weeks then the cam isn't doing its job. Need to find the most action!