Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
single pin or multi pin sights >

single pin or multi pin sights

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

single pin or multi pin sights

Old 07-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Spike

Default single pin or multi pin sights

I was wondering how many people use multi pin sights and how many use single pin sights and what are the advantanges to each thanks ;-)
Old 07-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

4 pin sight for me. Almost every deer I have shot was under 20 yds but when so many other things can go wrong the less thought I have to put in it when the time comes the better. I recently changed from 20,30,40,50 yds to 20,40,50,60 yd pin. By placing the 20 yd pin at the top of a deer's back and the 40 at the bottom of the chest I am hitting dead center mass at 30 yds, and with having an illuminated sight the further the 2nd pin is from the top the less distracting and cluttered my 20 yd sight pin is.I clipped the lower 3 fibers from my pins because it looked like a traffic light in front of my face and I couldn't see the target behind the pins.

As far as one pin, I have only one pin on my son's bow because I do not want him attempting 40 and 50 yd shots until he becomes more proficient and stronger with the bow and then the 40 yd shots will be at the groundhogs in the food plot or a coyote passing by at further distances than what I want him shooting deer at.

By keeping his yardages shorter at 25 yds or less with one pin he is forced to learn patience and build more appreciation for archery hunting and the skill it takes to get that animal so close for a shot.

When I was younger I shot instinctive, I wish I would have continued that but I went with a sight when I was 16 and now I'd miss horribly if I were to try shooting by guessing.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Currently shooting a single pin, I just shoot a whole lot better with it. 95% of my shots are under 20 yards so it usually never get moved while hunting. I keep it set at the 25 yard mark, because with it set there I am dead out to 32 and and about a half inch high at 20 and under.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im a 3 pin guy. 20, 30, 40 yards. I don't know that either has a huge advantage over the other but just what you get use to. My set up is second nature to me and I shoot it without even thinking much about it. I think thats the key no matter what way you go. I do believe having 4 or 5 pins could cause me problems with too many to sort through.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

I shot a 4 pin for the 6 years and just switched to a single pin again and love it. I like only having 1 pin to look at.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot a single pin for a few years. Went back to a regular 5 pin. Takes away the hassle of trying to compensate for changes in distance.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a single pin slider. Seems like out in the open spaces that I hunt in most, my shots are often 40+ and always have time to range my target. I like to put the pin on target, without holder over/under and at longer range, it works great.
When I'm back on the farm in KS. hunting whitetails from a perch, I set my pin at 22 yards, and anything that walks by will be in range and good to go, because for the most part, I won't get a shot longer than 30 yards.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

What I like may not be what you like. If you have the option to try both out, I'd see which one works for you the best.

I like a five pins sight, but that's what I've been using for a long time. For me it takes the guess work out.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Single pin for me. I may misjudge distance, but I'll never use the wrong pin... I keep it locked down at 25 when I hunt and try to limit my shots to 30 yards so I never really need to move anything. I'm dialed in from 20 to 60 yards though, so If I feel the need to take a longer shot I can.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a 5 pin for years but have dropped down to a 3 pin now set at 20, 30, and 40 yards. Never take shots farther than that in the thick woods here in Alabama anyway.

I guess the advantage/disadvantages of both would be this.

Multi Pin Bad: A multi pin sight I guess blocks a little more of your view although I've never had it be a problem for me. There also exists the possibility that you might inadvertently aim with the wrong pin in the heat of the moment.

Multi Pin Good: There are multi pin set ups out there from 3 up to 7 pins if you like. If you count the gaps between them too that gives you about as many aiming points as you could possibly need for any hunting situation. And you don't have to make any adjustments come shot time.

Single pin Bad: A single pin will either be fixed or a slider type adjustable. With a fixed you are gonna have to remember to aim at different levels on the deer for various distances. And IMHO you are just as likely to forget to aim at the right spot as your are to use the wrong pin with a multi pin sight. So I see no advantage there. With a slider you are gonna have to possibly make adjustments just before the shot. Where I hunt the woods are thick and shot opportunities can pop up quick and be gone just as fast. I personally do not want to have to be making adjustments to my sight at such a time.

Single Pin Good: No possibility of aiming with the wrong pin. Less obstructed view. Just aesthetically more appealing to some folks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.