HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bino's or Rangefinder? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/326087-binos-rangefinder.html)

my7pointmonster 07-17-2010 08:55 PM

Bino's or Rangefinder?

I have about $150 that I can spend Should I buy a pair of binoculars or should I get a range finder? I don't have either one so. Anyone have any first hand experience they can pass down to me?

Thanks again
Ryan.

Wingbone 07-18-2010 03:58 AM

Unless you're hunting spot and stalk out west, my vote goes for a good pair of bino's. They'll be much more useful. When I set up my stands, I pace the distances to various trees or other features so that I have built-in range markers when I'm hunting. I'm not convinced that you'd use a range finder all that much for bowhunting.

passthru79 07-18-2010 07:48 AM

I agree with wingbone. You can always pace off yardage and set up markers. You cant do much as far as looking at a buck out there a couple hundred yards with out binos. Im very particular on what I shoot so a good quality pair of binos is critical in judging bucks for me, but your better off saving your money and getting both.

Kybuckhunter 07-18-2010 08:17 AM

Good binos are a must for me now. I will see deer I never would see otherwise. I can pick deer out in thick cover that the eye cannot see into. I can focus right into the cover. I love my rangefinder also

The Rev 07-18-2010 10:07 AM

The places I hunt bino's are not a necessity when I see them they are normally less than fifty yards away. I have both, and I never carry out the binos, but I do have my range finder with me, I don't like to pace off the distance. I like to stay off the trails, and not give a chance to leave scent!

blakefrautschi 07-18-2010 04:51 PM

i would say rangefinder hands down! we are talking bow hunting here, so i would say its more important to know the range of the deer thats maybe.. lets say 50 yards max? than being able to see what a buck will roughly score at 200 yards.

your not going to be shooting that far so you should be able to see how big of a deer you're shooting with a bow without the use of bino's.

i dont even use bino's personally.

krabbiepatty 07-19-2010 10:20 AM

i have both but if i had to choose i would agree with the guys that say rangefinders. i would rather have it than binoculars.

GMMAT 07-19-2010 10:30 AM

Hands-down.......Binos.

I stopped carrying a rangefinder, couple years ago. If I forget my binos, I feel naked.

I use them to look at deer I might not necessarily be able to shoot, THAT day. but, if I see a good deer, I know more about "him", having glassed him.

It's also saved me from maybe shooting a BB a time or 5. Around here, the BB's are bigger than their mamas, late in our season. What looks like a nice, plump doe is often times a BB. Identifying this, early, is good woodsmanship.

I use my binos all year long....and for things outside of hunting. Besides my bow and climber, they're my most cherished piece of hunting equipment to have with me.

Ben / PA 07-19-2010 11:03 AM

I'd buy a 100 dollar pair of 10X42 bushnels and save the 50 towards the rangefinder. I love having both, but given the choice, I'd have the binos. In most situations, you don't need super expensive binos, but you notice the difference by having something more than the 20 dollar walmart ones. Good luck.

BigBuck95 07-19-2010 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Wingbone (Post 3648879)
Unless you're hunting spot and stalk out west, my vote goes for a good pair of bino's. They'll be much more useful. When I set up my stands, I pace the distances to various trees or other features so that I have built-in range markers when I'm hunting. I'm not convinced that you'd use a range finder all that much for bowhunting.

the only time I use one is to mark out distances before I hunt a spot. Then Ill make a small indicator (Cross two branches, etc) to show different distances. Then just use binos to see the deer coming and prepare for the shot:cool2:

BigBuck95:sign0016: