Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
When do you put stands, ground blinds in the woods ?? >

When do you put stands, ground blinds in the woods ??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When do you put stands, ground blinds in the woods ??

Old 07-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Spike

Smile When do you put stands, ground blinds in the woods ??

In the area we hunt, season starts on Oct. 16th.

When would be a good time to finalize stand/ground blind placement. We have two stands that we leave out year round but we have i more climber we want to put out as a "leave out stand" with tree steps(which we will take down except for upper half of steps) and a ground blind. We are also looking into buying bulk ground blind material as well....

We want all scent gone and are leaning towards putting the rest of our stuff in the woods either this month or next? Your opionions needed...

Thanks
Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Spike

For tree stands I would be putting stands up in late August and Early September. You need to give the deer in your area time to adjust to your visits in the woods. You also don't want to stroll in there hanging stands a week before season starts cause deer might lock on your positions and seek out other areas to roam.

On ground blinds I'd rather put them out 2 wks before hunting them. Blinds can tear up very easy and I'd hate to come to a blind tore up because of damaging winds. But thats a risk we take when putting gear in the elements.

Good luck and Be safe.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

agreed as to putting blinds out early, its a bad idea only do it a couple weeks ahead of time but spray down good and wear rubber boots.

also agreed when putting stands out but try to do it on rainy days. the rain will wash out most scent and cover up some of the noise of hanging the stand and cutting shooting lanes
Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Spike

With it being so hot here in the northeast lately, we decided to ask what the latest would be...We also thought later in august early september due to lower temps...Hot as hell out there now !!

We know about the ground blind being possibly damaged by wind. Ours took a good beating last year, went out one afternoon and found it in a pile. One of the sides were bent but I was able to bend it back to original form, thank god. Them ****s are expensive.... That's why we are choosing to go with bulk burlap type material this year, and staple them around a couple tree's t make our own blind. Did that one year and had deer within 3 ft of me...Unbelievable !! I could have reached out an touched this one doe, it was actually scary !!
Old 07-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

i agree i love ground blinds ives seen alot of deer from them and shot one last year from ground blind. i personally dont like the burlap i think it rips very easy especially when it rains then gets windy. the wetness is in the burlap then and it gets heavy. hunters specialty makes another type with leafy material thats very durable 20.00 its on there website. thats just my input though. ive had 2 burlap blinds and they both ripped from rain and wind. like i said the rain just soaks in to burlap.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

normally i like to put my stands out in the end of august. (our bow season starts october 1.) this year i will have to wait until 7 days before season since the public land i hunt will not allow us to do it any sooner. I love ground blinds but only use pop up blinds since its public land
Old 07-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just put a stand up this past weekend . I have 4 more to hang .

Hatchet Jack
Old 07-07-2010, 03:49 AM
Fork Horn

My neighbors and I just put up a ladder stand in a cedar tree behind my house this past weekend. It was hot, but now it is in place and set. Additionally, because of the hot, dry weather, everything has pretty much stopped growing, so we were able to get all the shooting lanes cleared and they should be good to go come October 16.

I think the sooner the better, after the spring growth, if it is controlled land.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

It depends on the spot. Stands that are not over food plots, I'll hang those around the first of August. Stands that are over or near food plots, I'll hang those when I'm working up the plot. Where I'm at, that's early to mid September.

I don't hunt out of ground blinds.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hang my stands usually in June. I still have some to get up. Blinds, depends on the set, I only use one right now and I plan on putting it in at the start of Sept.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.