Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bashing crossbows? >

Bashing crossbows?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bashing crossbows?

Old 07-01-2003, 08:59 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bashing crossbows?

Might wanna throw another bag in the microwave. I have a feeling this might have a way to go yet!
Old 07-01-2003, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

When Im 75 and can not pull 45# I sure hope you guys let me use a cross bow.Instead of making me stay home, or is getting old considered handicaped?
Old 07-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Athur.
Crossbows have been around for centuries.
It dont matter one iota to me what people use as long as it is legal.
Just going out to get more butter and soda pop.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:22 PM

If you are disabled or " no disrespect" to old to draw back a bow you should be able to use a cross-bow. But to allow general use of a cross-bow during the archery season is not right. If you want to use something that holds 100% power on its own,you should be rifle hunting. Yes we use releases but we are still have to draw back and hold it. Cross-bows are not like that. IMO if their was a separate season for crossbows their would not be all this controfersey. Gotta go the popcorn is done in the micro.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Humm much like a bow you say! Shoulder held, made on a firearm type stock, Scopes more like a rifle type not of archery type, Trigger firing mechanism not separate rel type aid, always cocked and in loaded position, 150lb draw weights, they use bolts of lighter weights not arrows, capable of longer more accurate distances I don' t care what anyone says on that its obvious what they can do. Doesn' t take yrs of mastering a form to learn to use precisely & consistantly. Is advantage on deer by not having to draw & hold back attempting to take a shot. Its a wanta be bowhunters weapon if used in archery season. If you want to be a bowhunter pick up a real bow, and take the time to learn to use one. If your handicapped 1st check around I' ve seen some amazing archery equipment for handicapped persons. If its not possible, then I have no problem with someone of that nature using a crossbow in archery season. Otherwise a crossbow is a completely different weapon, and has no place in archery seasons. It takes away from the archers who have taken the time to learn the art, and traditions of true archery. Crossbows in there own season, or gun season is fine by me otherwise.
Enough said, and all I' m going to say[>:]
Old 07-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

MEAT hunting with a bow? I remember when meat hunters used GUNS!

Elitists are simply those that believe that the challenge of bowhunting should be preserved, so that our seasons can also be preserved. Of course, we' re called elitists by the people that want everything as easy as possible. When bowhunting gets easy enough for people to proclaim themselves meat hunters, then our seasons are practically as good as lost. Who gives a flip if the guy in the next tree is toting a crossbow when the guys in two other trees are carrying 7 mags? One big, happy, free-for-all hunting season. That' s where we' re heading unless people start pulling out their heads and waking up.

By the way, the holding weight on my 60 pound, 65% letoff compound is 21 pounds. That' s exactly two pounds lighter than the trigger pull on that piece of junk crossbow that' s hanging in my garage.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:57 PM

I contstantly see comments like " they should be ok for the disabled or the handicapped - but that is it." Why? If you object to scopes on them, then have the law written that you can only use pin sights.

In muzzle loader season in Georgia, we can use In-lines but they cannot have scopes.

If you guys are so concerned about " traditions" , then give up you compound bow and hunt with a recurve with no sights. The line has to be drawn somewhere. A modern compound is FAR from a primitive weapon and it doesn' t take years to master Minute of deer accuracy out to 25 yards.

Crossbows are legal in Georgia and I could have bought one, but instead I just bought a new Mathews LX with a bunch of goodies.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:57 AM
nub

capable of longer more accurate distances
I don' t think so.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Crossbows have their place, but for those able-bodied folks who choose to use them in bow season (I hunt in GA where their legal), I personally remind everyone I see, " Cheater bow" . I don' t care if it' s legal.

Those 21 lbs someone' s holding at full draw almost the same as a trigger pull... C' mon, you have to hold the 21 lbs and pull the trigger with the compound, plus have consistant shooting form and hide the eyes of your quarry from your movement all at the same time. A crossbow is basically a firearm with a 30-40 yard range. Kinda like a shotgun and buckshot.

On the other hand, I have the utmost respect for the traditional archer, who has made his task even more challenging than my own. I used to shoot some traditional, but with shoulder issues, not any more. But I still refuse to pickup a crossbow. For me the joy of archery would be diminished.!!!

If you guys really want a ' primitive' challenge, check out this article:

http://www.augustachronicle.com/stor...pav_pavey.shtm
Old 07-02-2003, 07:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Have we all forgotten the hubris that resulted when the compound bow first became available in the 70s ? The " real" archers were vehemently opposed to legalizing them , many still are . The traditional bow is only slightly older than the crossbow , and guns are a fairly recent addition themselves . I went through this thread at another site' s BB , and they didn' t resolve the matter any better than this thread probably will . If you want to see how assinine this argument can get go to hoosierhunting.com and check the Bowhunting forum . Like it or not , crossbows are legally defined as " archery equipment" in all states , and by most bowhunting associations including the IBO . Most of these same organizations sponsor crossbow shooting events , and even have their own teams . Most states that legalize them for hunting do so because the hunters are not taking enough deer to keep the herd numbers down , especially does . It seems that our passion for big racked bucks has become our own undoing , and other tools are being made available to compensate for our lack of understanding about game management . Those who cannot embrace new tools should try to accept that there are some people who do . If you don' t want to use one don' t buy one , but why would you deny someone else the opportunity to share in the wonderful experience we call hunting ? Archery can also be an expensive undertaking , and some folks just aren' t willing to part with the kind of loot that it takes to own a first class bow . While a crossbow may not be used in exactly the same way as a compound or traditional , it still exposes the person who tries one to the fundamentals of archery . For those of you who' ve never tried one let me assure you that it takes just as much practice to master one . Granted , it has 100% let-off , but only if you leave it cocked . Those of us who own one can tell you how bad that is for the prod(bow) , it can even cause them to break under fire if done constantly . It also has a shorter range , less KE , and greater drop than a bow . Anyone who considers them to be an advantage over bows , or easier to use , has never used one . Face some grim facts , our numbers are declining , and fewer children are being exposed to hunting with each passing year . The antis are aware of this , and never fail to bring it up when they lobby your state Legislature to ban hunting for whatever ridiculous reasons they may have . Yes , a crossbow is different from other bows , but this doesn' t make it something to be feared or loathed . Personally , I wouldn' t want to be in the woods with mine when the gunners are out there too , much too hazardous for my taste . And why all the opposition to their use during the general archery season ? If it uses a stick and string to launch a stick with feathers it is a bow by any generally or legally accepted definition of " archery equipment" . Your personal view of it may differ , but as state after state makes them available to help manage the herd we' ll all have to make a little bit of room for each other . After all , regardless of the tool we use we still have one thing in common , we' re all hunters .

Quick Reply: Bashing crossbows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.