HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How many have Hunted Africa? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/32516-how-many-have-hunted-africa.html)

Turk_man 07-01-2003 08:24 AM

How many have Hunted Africa?

I`m curious because this is a dream of mine and more and more bowhunters are going. When you compare the cost against an Alaskan moose hunt it`s usually cheaper, but you end up with a bigger taxidermy bill because you take 5-7 animals.

BobCo19-65 07-01-2003 09:07 AM

RE: How many have Hunted Africa?

but you end up with a bigger taxidermy bill because you take 5-7 animals.
Not to mention trophy fees and no meat to bring back.

mez 07-01-2003 09:38 AM

Bob, even after the trophy fees it is still cheaper and a better value to go to Africa. I went 5 years ago with my brother and we had the time of our lives. We hunted for 10 days, I took 4 animals, he took 4 and including airline fees and getting out stuff back we spent about $4000. We are in the process of booking a hunt for next summer now. The way it looks we will spend between $5000-$5500 this time all inclusive. We didn' t have anything mounted, we did our own european mounts when we got the stuff back. I don' t know what the taxidermy would cost. If I remember right it was about $200 to prep a crate the animals and $150 to ship the crate back home. Turk, you need to go if this is a dream of yours. Imagine watching Wild Kingdom in real time and getting to shoot the stuff. There is just something about sitting in a blind, glancing out and seeing a zebra and an ostrich strolling by.

BobCo19-65 07-01-2003 09:52 AM

All, I' m going to say is to beware of hidden costs and trophy fees. I' m not saying you can' t get good deals there. Just be sure about costs up front. One of reason that I personally shy away from Africa is because I can not bring the meat home. Maybe it isn' t important to a lot of people, but it is to me. Also be sure to see a Doctor before going and get the necessary shots to prevent disease.

mez 07-01-2003 11:48 AM

The trohpy fees are listed right up front. You pay a daily fee that covers food, lodging, guide and trackers. You pay a trophy fee on anything that you shoot, you are given a list before you book the hunt and one when you arrive. The prices don' t change once the hunt is booked. There are no additional trophy fees on top of what is listed and presented to you up front.

liquidorange 07-01-2003 12:02 PM

watch out for monkey pox and black mambas. just kidding! when i checked into it the best prices were on limited plains game like zebra and a wart hog hunt. i would like to experience it but its just too complicated. why cant an outfitter come up with an all inclusive price for a weeks worth of hunting inluding food and lodging.i wonder what kind of immunization your gonna need to protect yourself.

BobCo19-65 07-01-2003 12:11 PM

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/safrica.htm

liquidorange 07-01-2003 02:35 PM

WOW thats scarey i think i will stay right where im at.

medium 07-12-2003 12:05 AM

Hunting Africa has also been a dream of mine and this last winter my godfather and I booked a trip. I did my homework and found a reputable guide through a local guide and we are going in June of 2003. I have spoken in person to 3 people that have gone with this outfit and have been more than satisfied. It is a plains game hunt in SA and we can shoot 7 animals. The main animals I am going for are a Kudu and Gemsbock. This is one of the few companies I found where you get both of these animals included...many companies make the Kudu and Gemsbock an OR deal and not an AND deal. I am planning to have those 2 shoulder mounted. We also get to hunt warthog, wildebeast, impala, blesbok, and one other than slips my mind right now. We are spending some extra money and getting the all inclusive deal where the trophy fees, dipping fees, and packing fees are all included up front. Just take your time and do your homework.