Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Question about only using 1 fixed pin.. >

Question about only using 1 fixed pin..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about only using 1 fixed pin..

Old 06-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr
I really need to disagree with you on this. Ive been using one pin since I started shooting bows. My first bow was only shooting 250 roughly and I had no problems out to 30 yards. Its all how you shoot and how confident you are in your shot placement, speed plays a very small factor in it. My new PSE Stinger isnt shooting 350fps and I can nail the center of the block at 40 yards...using one pin.
I think have the credentials to consider myself confident and good in this game I would bet any amount of money that at any professional shoot u won't see anyone only using one pin for all, unless it's a slider of course. To have true accuracy another pin is pretty vital.

Sure u can guess all day long, but u aren't getting pin point accuracy. I'd lay any dollar amount out that if we shot a few different 3d targets at different ranges u would have some that were high/low at distance. How do I know this??? Like I said, I've done it as well. Hell, even have trophies from it, but it only works to a certain level of accuracy, and any amount of speed helps.

And when talking accuracy here, I'm referring to an arrow exactly where intended. Not a 15yd guesstimation of where over the back to aim...

Like I said, It works, but true accuracy will not be great this way. And aiming at the deers back is cool as well, as long as it works.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I thought the 1 pin discussion was for hunting only. I totally agree on more then 1 for 3d target etc..

I just dont see much difference in knowing where to hold a single pin or deciding which pin to use in the hunting setting when the shot matters. Both take practice, both require you knowing your distance. For me I know Im fine from 15 to 40 without raising or lowering the pin much. So I just aim and shoot, don't think about the distance that much. I do try to range as many trees as possible when Im in stand but sometimes as you all know deer come in quick and I dont have time to mess with the range finder.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Alot of good input on this. I just erased the stuff i wrote.

In the July 2010 issue of Petersen's Bowhunting, Bill Winke writes a great article on this topic. One pin if you shoot out to 30 and two pins if you shoot to 40. Bet you can still find it in stands. Both bigbulls and Bill Winke are believers in the K.I.S.S. principle.

Keep It Simple Stupid. This will save your butt everytime cuz you will find dumbest things to think about in the first 20 seconds you see that wall mounter and vaguely remember shooting over him and really cant remember ANYTHING important. Now I practice three things. 1. Anchor point 2. Pick the exact dot I want the arrow to go thru the animal 3. And Breath. I don't practice to shoot better anymore. I practice to keep ingraining those 3 things in my head and the muscle memory of it all. I dont THINK about shooting anymore. So when I get those special 20 seconds, I can actually remember the good stuff! Even if I miss, I generally know why. If I hit, I know where I hit, the sound of the hit, I know the reaction of the animal, the direction it left, the direction I last heard it...... And those are all great memories!!

Last edited by timmyzimmy; 06-30-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Duckbutter48
Well I thought the 1 pin discussion was for hunting only. I totally agree on more then 1 for 3d target etc..

I just dont see much difference in knowing where to hold a single pin or deciding which pin to use in the hunting setting when the shot matters. Both take practice, both require you knowing your distance. For me I know Im fine from 15 to 40 without raising or lowering the pin much. So I just aim and shoot, don't think about the distance that much. I do try to range as many trees as possible when Im in stand but sometimes as you all know deer come in quick and I dont have time to mess with the range finder.
If this thread is about hunting only, not shooting than I apologize to all and wis bow hunter for offering my experience...

As for the 15-40 statement with one pin... I would bet that most setups hav roughly 2ft of drop between those distances... When 2ft happens in a 25yd span, and u don't check yardage much, how many deer do you miss/wound??? That's a ton of variation man and u are doomed if u ever decide to shoot at one in the high 30 range IMO. Maybe not the first time, but the yardage WILL get u eventually n

I'm done with this thread. Have fun
Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice. A pin at 26-27 and one at 35 makes an easy bowhunting setup!
Originally Posted by timmyzimmy
Alot of good input on this. I just erased the stuff i wrote.

In the July 2010 issue of Petersen's Bowhunting, Bill Winke writes a great article on this topic. One pin if you shoot out to 30 and two pins if you shoot to 40. Bet you can still find it in stands. Both bigbulls and Bill Winke are believers in the K.I.S.S. principle.

Keep It Simple Stupid. This will save your butt everytime cuz you will find dumbest things to think about in the first 20 seconds you see that wall mounter and vaguely remember shooting over him and really cant remember ANYTHING important. Now I practice three things. 1. Anchor point 2. Pick the exact dot I want the arrow to go thru the animal 3. And Breath. I don't practice to shoot better anymore. I practice to keep ingraining those 3 things in my head and the muscle memory of it all. I dont THINK about shooting anymore. So when I get those special 20 seconds, I can actually remember the good stuff! Even if I miss, I generally know why. If I hit, I know where I hit, the sound of the hit, I know the reaction of the animal, the direction it left, the direction I last heard it...... And those are all great memories!!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

In order to be +or- 3 inches from the bow to 40 yards you will have to be shooting 405fps and sighted in to be zero at 33 yards.

You would be 3 inches high at 16 yards and 3 inches low at 40 yards.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

got one pin set at thirty i like this cause i no the drop from twenty to thirty is more than shooting high at twenty using a thirty pin. not too much higher..
Old 06-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

by the way your bow maybe shooting slower or faster than mine so you got to find that yardage you are happy with...
Old 07-01-2010, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been shooting one pin for a very long time. I use to take all pins off the sight except one and sight for 25 yds and practice at different ranges, I would hold over or low depending on range. I never shot competition or anything but I went on a 3d shoot one time and took first place my very first time out, all using one pin and shots were out to 50 yds, all done with hold over.
For a few years now I have been using a slide one pin sight.