HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How to catch a trespasser (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/325053-how-catch-trespasser.html)

KYDeerHunter03 06-27-2010 09:08 AM

How to catch a trespasser

Well I have this guy that LOVES to come onto our property. I actually had him try and climb up my ladder stand while I was in it last season!

I have seen him numerous times come onto the property and walk around while in stand...and we have chased him off MULTIPLE times.

Well now he has pushed me over the edge...he stole the SD card in my trail camera on MY property. We have posted signs all over the place and I guess he is so ignorant he doesnt care. I am happy he didnt take the whole camera...but now he knows what is on my card and he will probably be poaching whatever it is.

Are there any little tricks to catching someone? I really dont want to risk leaving my camera out there again...I was thinking about going and taking his feeder about 100 yards from the fence line and hiding it and leaving a note saying I want my card back and until that happens the feeder stays with me haha

Thoughts, ideas, recommendations? lol

mcraddock 06-27-2010 09:30 AM

He probably took your card after it took a snap-shot of him trespassing, therefore destroying the evidence. I'm not sure why he even left the camera as his moral compass seems to be way screwed up already.

I like your idea. It's not extremely aggressive, but it is assertive. It does seem that he is not easily deterred or scared enough to stay off your property. You may need to resort to stronger measures. I imagine that the local sheriff's office is not much help in this situation, but have you had him served with a trespass notice from the sheriffs office yet? That's usually a great start. If that proves to be worthless, then it's time for more drastic measures. Make sure your property is posted well. Post it with signs with his name directly on them, letting him know of your intentions to prosecute. If you have a picture of him tresspassing already, copy it and post it on property line. Threaten him with civil suit for damages to property.

Warning though, feuds can get ugly. I wish you luck.

halfbakedi420 06-27-2010 09:44 AM

certainly do not go take his feeder.
serve a trespass on him, easy to do...you can set it up with the Sheriff.
put a cam on your cam...a good hidden one with no flash, and preferably one that runs video.
He should be very luky you didnt think he was some kind of game animal :D
you should have called the 5.0 when he was climbing your tree stand the 1st time.
lawfully you can disarm him and keep his stuff. ( i.g if you tell him to drop his stuff, and then ****** him to the gate to meet the cops...what ever is on your land is yours.)

wvOHIOfan 06-27-2010 10:36 AM

Kick his ass one good time and he won't come back.

FlaBoy18 06-27-2010 12:10 PM

get an electric fence around your property:D

KYDeerHunter03 06-27-2010 01:38 PM

halfbaked....I kinda got scared when I seen him coming...being a girl I dont think I could take a grown man by myself if he chose to fight back lol I just flashed my flashlight at him instead of opening my mouth so he thought i was a guy and not a girl from hearing my voice haha:D

Im not gonna destroy any of his property...just do as he done. Except give it back once my property is returned :)

SteveBNy 06-27-2010 02:13 PM

Sounds like you have no problem catching him - when you do, get him charged and take him to court. The only option that will work and not cause you legal problems.

SteveBNy 06-27-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by wvOHIOfan (Post 3639896)
Kick his ass one good time and he won't come back.

Hard to get much hunting done when you are either in the hospital or serving time for assualt. Bad suggestion - usually from someone who has never been in a real fight.

halfbakedi420 06-27-2010 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by KYDeerHunter03 (Post 3639953)
halfbaked....I kinda got scared when I seen him coming...being a girl I dont think I could take a grown man by myself if he chose to fight back lol I just flashed my flashlight at him instead of opening my mouth so he thought i was a guy and not a girl from hearing my voice haha:D

Im not gonna destroy any of his property...just do as he done. Except give it back once my property is returned :)

certainly this takes you down to his level, makes you a thief, and all he has to do is call the cops and this whole thing back fires on ya. and your the one with the rap sheet. you will do what ya want, im jus sayin its worth thinking over....one time someone shot up my dry storage, a 55 gallon drum..and was painfully obvious where the shots came from, so i stuck a note on their trailer door...they called the cops said i trespassed, i did to leave a note, and said i took thing, which i did not. i never got in trouble, but i learned my lesson..waited for the guy to show up, called the warden, said i just saw him do it, and he got a ticket..sweet victory.

Huff04 06-27-2010 04:14 PM

Take a wireless security camera that feeds to you computer or tv where you can record it then set it up on your camera or stand. That way if they take it you still got a pic of them. Before all that i would check with your family to see if they pull the card, cause that happen to me last year. They pull the card and didnt let me know.

KYDeerHunter03 06-27-2010 05:38 PM

yea i guess youre right, i just cant stand a thief. I contacted the police and said they couldnt do anything unless he was physically on the property until they got there. I figured its not even worth trying cuz all he was to do is walk back over there after I call.

RidgeFACTOR 06-29-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by KYDeerHunter03 (Post 3639953)

Did you ever think that this guy is just playing with you. Since you said in an earlier post that you are a "girl", this guy might just be after you. By looking at your avatar pic, you are a very attractive lady. I would send your boyfriend over to visit him and tell him if he doesn't quit trespassing and harassing you, that you are going to the authorities and have him arrested.

halfbakedi420 06-29-2010 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by RidgeFACTOR (Post 3640970)
Did you ever think that this guy is just playing with you. Since you said in an earlier post that you are a "girl", this guy might just be after you. By looking at your avatar pic, you are a very attractive lady. I would send your boyfriend over to visit him and tell him if he doesn't quit trespassing and harassing you, that you are going to the authorities and have him arrested.

true that, you are smokin', somethin to consider.

nchawkeye 06-29-2010 06:50 PM

Here's what you do...Pick a week to invite all your hunting buddies from this site to hunt with you...

We'll come down, hunt his property, kill his deer and let him know that you have plenty of "cousins" that think the world of you...And we would surely be disappointed in him if he continued to tresspass on "our" families land...

Since trespassing laws are so lax in most areas of the country, he knows that it's going to me hard to catch him...Turn the tables on the old boy...

Of course, you could also make a homemade ladder stand and leave the top step loose for him as well...:)

KYDeerHunter03 06-30-2010 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by RidgeFACTOR (Post 3640970)

haha I doubt it, that person dont even know me and hasnt seen me cuz its always dark when he crosses over to set-up.

No boyfriend either so I am on my own haha I am just gonna bolt and chain that stupid camera so its gonna be tough for him to even try to undo it. Just hope he dont pick up a log and swing away :(

Damon 06-30-2010 07:30 AM

I agree with the comment of putting a cam on your cam. Best off not letting him know you are aware of the crap he has pulled this way you can catch him at his "finest". Take the evidence to the cops and have him served for trespassing since it seems your land is clearly marked. Of course a good ol' butt kickin' would be good for him but...

Kybuckhunter 06-30-2010 05:29 PM

How about a pit covered with leaves.....??

my7pointmonster 06-30-2010 05:36 PM

maybe he has the hots for you

ryan.

hmthtrfan 06-30-2010 07:06 PM

get a couple bear traps, put them infront of your cameras, you know it he wont.

englum_06 07-01-2010 12:07 AM

wvOHIOfan 07-01-2010 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by SteveBNy (Post 3639967)
Hard to get much hunting done when you are either in the hospital or serving time for assualt. Bad suggestion - usually from someone who has never been in a real fight.

I always get a kick out of the holier than thou clowns like you that like to sneer down your nose over the internet. You're right, I have ran from every altercation that I have ever encountered..... If only I were a NY badass like you....eh Steve?

Ben / PA 07-01-2010 10:45 AM

Lol, these threads always bring out the tough guys. Facts are, if you take something of his, he's brought you to his level. If you injury him via trap, pit, etc, it's on your property and you are exposed for liability. Trying to "catch" him might just make him want to do it more. IMO, your best bet is a certified letter from your lawyer, making it clear that he is in no way welcome and that if he is found on your property he will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Then your ass is covered an it's not a "he said", "she said", or "I though" situation. It's known flat out that he's not welcome and it's recorded. Good luck. It sucks that you have to go through this. I know how you feel. You feel violated and sick over it. Makes you not enjoy your time afield. It's the worst. Again, good luck. I hope it gets sorted out in short order.

Hunting Kuk 07-01-2010 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3640977)
true that, you are smokin', somethin to consider.

LMAO... smooth halfbaked although I gotta agree :D

SteveBNy 07-01-2010 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by wvOHIOfan (Post 3641529)
I always get a kick out of the holier than thou clowns like you that like to sneer down your nose over the internet. You're right, I have ran from every altercation that I have ever encountered..... If only I were a NY badass like you....eh Steve?

Not sneering at all - if you take the time to read.:rolleye0011:
Just pointing out some of the possibilities when internet tough guys think they are always going to solve a problem by opening a can of whoop azz - sometimes the can blows up in your face. Those that have really ever had to defend themselves other then maybe sucker punching someone understands this. The person in the right does not always win - being right has nothing to do with it.

I posted the right way to handle the situation for those smart and mature enough to understand. Let me know if I need to try to make it simplier.:)

JoshKeller 07-01-2010 07:24 PM

i still think you oughta just let me hunt the fence row :s13:

wvOHIOfan 07-02-2010 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by SteveBNy (Post 3641719)
Not sneering at all - if you take the time to read.:rolleye0011:
Just pointing out some of the possibilities when internet tough guys think they are always going to solve a problem by opening a can of whoop azz - sometimes the can blows up in your face. Those that have really ever had to defend themselves other then maybe sucker punching someone understands this. The person in the right does not always win - being right has nothing to do with it.

I posted the right way to handle the situation for those smart and mature enough to understand. Let me know if I need to try to make it simplier.:)

As far as the internet tough guy statement is concerned: Trespass on my property this fall.

As for your last paragraph, I suggest you learn how to spell before you make smart ass comments about making things "simplier" so that one can read them. FAIL.

Let's just say that our methods of motivating people to stay off of our respective properties differ and leave it at that.

SteveBNy 07-02-2010 08:11 AM

Going to beat me up for a miss spelled word? Anger issues? I'll look for you in the news - one way or another trying to beat up everybody will eventually backfire. Not a person ever lived who couldn't get their butt beat - or be arrested for assault. Good luck.

wvOHIOfan 07-02-2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by SteveBNy (Post 3641937)
Going to beat me up for a miss spelled word? Anger issues? I'll look for you in the news - one way or another trying to beat up everybody will eventually backfire. Not a person ever lived who couldn't get their butt beat - or be arrested for assault. Good luck.

Beat you up? Anger issues? lol! We are debating on the internet and you're blowing it way out of proportion.

However, if you (or anyone else) were trying to climb into my TREESTAND, or continually trespassed on my land, that would be a different story........

We disagree. Hopefully, it can be let go now.

Damon 07-03-2010 08:01 AM

LMAO! maybe you two should get together and go kick the trespassers azz!

petey the hunter 07-04-2010 01:34 AM

that has happened to me i just hide cameras looking at my stand and i got him

Vulture6 07-08-2010 06:40 PM

I became very good friends with a local federal law enforcement officer - he has the exclusive right to hunt my property on the days I'm not on it. We coordinate our hunting days, and he's out there as much or more than I am. I also gave him written permission to arrest and prosecute anyone caught trespassing on my very well posted property (he helped me post it too).

Beleive it or not, that worked pretty well last year.

salukipv1 07-08-2010 07:48 PM

carry a digital camera on you at all times, or a cell phone/camera/video camera....and snap his pics/vids when he's trespassing...

bigtim6656 07-08-2010 08:20 PM

I would agree, I am 25 and old enough to know how things can go. I got into a argument on Halloween when I was 17. These guys where tossing eggs at us from about 50 feet. I was with some younger kids and I am not the type to just walk away from something. Well I use to be. I told my friends we need to turn around abd beat the **** out of them. Being younger and none of them in a real fight they felt the walking faster idea was better :nonono2: ok well not much I was going to try and do by myself. A few minutes later I got busted in the back by an egg and told my so called friends that was it. I turned around got into a heated argument with the leader and figured 5 on 5 was fair since I knew I could take 2 or 3 of them. When the head guy said I will kill you you fat **** that was the end of it. I busted him in his mouth then his buddy. When he got back up I went back at him tossing punchs back and fourth. When the third guy came at me I was wondering where my buddies where. They where running full speed and two blocks away :mad1::mad1::busted: I was talking three of them pretty good till other two got in and I got wacked in the gut and went down to one knee and the head guy wacked me in the head with a red brick. :s11:. I got up dazed and very confused and came to the thought if I did not walk away I was going to die on that block. SO I did and end up a block away on a guy door step waiting for the police dam near falling over. 7 years later and when I scratch the back of my head I get a headach and a shooting pain down the right side and to my forehead.

A fight can go from punchs to bricks to guns quicker then a person thinks. Sure you could be in the hospital or jail there is another place it is called the morgue!!!!!!!!!!

I told my self that night while sitting in a CT machine for 4 hours the next time I got in a fight it would be for life or death not over some worthless reason.

As for the trespasser, I had a issue in KY got two guys on my property with 30-06s "squirrel" hunting :busted: When they came up behind my barn a nice talking to with the Ar15 resting on my shoulder did the job. Honestly to me your looking at getting a cop or Conservation officer to do something, a good threat(I hate threats just gives him a reason to shoot you when you in your stand) the good old dam squirrel in a tree reasoning for him, or shoot the guy(who wants to go to prison or atleast have to bury a body where they hunt.
Here is how I would handle it. Call the sheriff, call the fish and wildlife officer or conservation officer here, I do not threat so the next move would be the shooting but I doubt I would kill someone over trespassing. My issue would not be the trespassing but the issue of safety and concern he would opt for the kill you to keep hunting your land. I do not take threats well "read from above"

I am one who would shoot the thieve when he walks in not when he draws his gun and tells me to drop mine. Though still is it worth the trouble. Though I might tell him I have a issue with him on my land because I tend to do rapid fire target shooting with my ASSAULT RIFLES (this works better with said rifle on your arm) Or try and become buddies with him and help him understand your issue. I also like the CAM ON A CAM idea. This season I plan on setting on up from my treestand to avoid it getting stolen a third year in a row.

Originally Posted by SteveBNy (Post 3639967)

stabnslab_WI 07-10-2010 10:06 AM

Well Im sure you have some guy friends that act like brothers. You should always have your phone on you. Next time this creepy weirdo comes walking by.....call one of your friends. They will handle the problem. Sometimes "good ole stark raving fear" is all that it takes. If you can make him shake a little that is all that you need, mission accomplish. If your by yourself, a swift kick between the butt and junk will do it too. Good luck

halfbakedi420 07-21-2010 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 3641034)
Here's what you do...Pick a week to invite all your hunting buddies from this site to hunt with you...

We'll come down, hunt his property, kill his deer and let him know that you have plenty of "cousins" that think the world of you...And we would surely be disappointed in him if he continued to tresspass on "our" families land...

Since trespassing laws are so lax in most areas of the country, he knows that it's going to me hard to catch him...Turn the tables on the old boy...

Of course, you could also make a homemade ladder stand and leave the top step loose for him as well...:)

lol i cant disagree with any of this....so did ya ever catch the guy or what....and if not yet, what course of action were you thinking about taking?

wallhangr 07-22-2010 09:47 AM

When I first read this I was thinking right along the sames lines as you Jenna. But, making friends with the right Conservation Agent, Law Enforcement Agent, or possilby even the right probation/parole officer (this slimebag most likely has one) is probably the best route to go.

Good Luck catching this guy, and best of luck this season!

-DeerSlayer- 07-22-2010 12:50 PM

contact authorities.. keep them posted on what he does and when he does it. They can eventually help you catch and prosecute him.

little indian 07-23-2010 09:45 AM

In Ky all you need is the person's name to give to the CO. They will handle it from there.

OhioBowhunter 07-23-2010 10:19 AM

trail camera(: caught a couple last year. jerks walked right past my blind dropped a cig i my corn pile and drove their truck (leaving gas) half way to my honey hole.

Wheatley 07-23-2010 11:24 AM

How about a "Taser"?