Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
shooting into bails of hay? >

shooting into bails of hay?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting into bails of hay?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

For an all-season target, the Rinehart 18-1 is amazing. They are guaranteed for one year for passthroughs, both fieldpoints and broadheads. Small, lightweight, portable, and will last you an incredibly long time. Block targets are certainly expensive...but with all the celebs on the commercials, they have to pay the bills somehow.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess my bows are too fast to shoot into hay, I've lost several arrows in round bales. I've never really had a problem with targets I buy several every year, but then again not too many people shoot as much as I do. I like to shoot a minimum of a hundred arrows a day and shoot eight hours on weekends.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The bows of today penetrate too deeply to use hay bails. You can get a descent target for $40 or $50 dollars that will last a while. If you use cheap targets like hay bails you will have to pay for new fletching and arrows often.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS
The bows of today penetrate too deeply to use hay bails. You can get a descent target for $40 or $50 dollars that will last a while. If you use cheap targets like hay bails you will have to pay for new fletching and arrows often.
Not if you make a press using all-thread. You can make it as tight as you like.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

If youre going to shoot into hay bales, make sure you shoot into them the right way....especially if youre shooting into round bales....if you dont know the right way, then buy a target...
Old 06-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
Not if you make a press using all-thread. You can make it as tight as you like.

The guy asked if he could shoot into hay bails not a pressed bail.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS
The guy asked if he could shoot into hay bails not a pressed bail.
All bales are already pressed you they make them. They are pressed tight and wrapped with twine or wire. I'm talking about the small square bales. The all -thread is just a way to keep them tight as the get shot.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Keeping up with the Davis'

Those $90 block targets must go good with those $900 compound bows.

Wish I could help, but I'm using my 20 year old homemade design. And what modern archer is going to use a design that old.

Besides, I had to design mine to carry some distance. It had to be lighter and thinner than the commercial block targets. Most archers only accept targets, where the point is totally embedded in foam.
My target would never be acceptable, as the light target stops the arrow completely, but doesn't embed the point. The negative psychology would be overwhelming, I guess.

$90 you say. Makes me feel a little bad, that I've been using these homemade targets for decades and never bought one. One target costs in a little labor(very little) and some $7.50 in material. Somehow I still enjoy the obsolescent sound of that.

But then, some things are too cheap for acceptablility.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

don't shoot into the flat side of a round bail-your arrow will bury-voice of experience
Old 06-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Burly...It all depends upon who baled the hay and how it was bailed...

Let's say that Lowes Hardware contracts with you to deliver 2,000 bales at $2.00 a bale...If you keep the ground speed high on the tractor and the pto speed low you put less hay into the bale and will get more bales per acre...

Now, let's say you are baling for yourself and are going to store them in a barn so you want the maximum amout of hay into each bale...In this situation, keep the tractor speed low and the pto or engine rpms high and you will have more charges per bale and a heavier bale...In other words, a tighter packed bale...

So, pick up the bales and see how much they weigh, look at the bales and see how far apart the charges are...Look around and find a farmer that packs a tight bale and you will be fine...

Pretty much the same goes with round bales...The slower ground speed and higher rpms produce a tighter bale...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.