HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bowhunting the sweet spot during the rut. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/324971-bowhunting-sweet-spot-during-rut.html)

AR Bowhunter 06-25-2010 03:29 PM

Bowhunting the sweet spot during the rut.

There is nothing sweeter than jumping to an from your best areas looking for the sweet spot during early rut or the seeking phase. You will know when you find the sweet spot. The bucks act as if the do not care if you are around. They are looking for that hot doe that is hanging out in the area.

You know the mature does that chose the area you are hunting as their home range. They seem to drift in an out grabbing some acorns an playing hide an go seek with the bucks. The bucks are grunting loud enough that you can here them from 150 yards. You see anywhere from 7 to 12 bucks sometimes. There are usually at least two good ones for your area in the group. You might even see a buck fight or two that day. They seem to sometimes move a little from area to area.

Here is a pick of a buck that had been ran off several times an was waiting the bigger buck out for his chance to get close to the does that were staying just out of reach an give the bucks a fit.

Doe that is playing hide an go seek with the bucks.

YooperMike 06-28-2010 11:53 AM

Coming from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, I had never really experienced a true whitetail rut. Sure the deer mate, but its aboslutely nothing like the pandemonium that happens here in IL. With so few bucks of any size around, and an absolute overabundance of does, creates a really watered-down version of the rut. Now that I hunt IL, that "sweet spot" is a real thing. Spending some time in the early season to get to know the does in your area definitely pays off. If you know there are couple doe groups on your property, figure out where they spend their down time when not feeding. This info is golden during the mid-day when the rut is on.

AR, that second buck is a GIANT!

AR Bowhunter 06-28-2010 03:29 PM

I get lucky about once every three years an get in one of those areas that you get to witness that type of activity. I always get in on that see buck chase doe. But, to get in the hub of the activity is something to see.

That buck is a good one. I had him 32 yds from me an following close behind a doe the day that picture was taken. I passed on the shot because there were to many vines an saplings between me an him. So, I just started snapping pictures about 80 yards away.

Thanks for the response.
AR

wis_bow_huntr 06-30-2010 03:30 AM

I have a couple of sweet spots that I wont even set foot into until mid to late october unless its to check my cam and get the hell out of there. Other than that I dont come within a 100 yards of them.

AR Bowhunter 06-30-2010 05:12 PM

Yes, I agree. On both sides of the location there is pines. I never walk in them for any reason other than to retrieve a deer. Also, never hunt that area until I know its right.