Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie Question

Old 06-30-2003, 07:46 PM

Default Newbie Question

Season is getting close and this will be my 1st year in a stand with a bow. What will be the most awkward thing for me to be prepared for. Its no problem setting there with a gun across your lap, but with a bow, arrows, release around my wrist and other stuff, it has to be tricky. I plan on climbing a tree before long and practice setting there quitely. Any tips? Like keeping my release from banging on everything. By the way, Murphys Law applies to me greatly.
Thanks
Old 06-30-2003, 08:09 PM

Default RE: Newbie Question

The best advice that I could give would be to shoot from the stand as much as possible, and get comfortable being and moving around in it, confidence will help a lot. It is different shooting from an elevated stand with a bow so practice it. Like you mentioned, watch your release and everything else, if theres metal to hit together, it will do it somehow. I also dont hunt higher than Im comfortable, usually about 18-20 feet, no sense having something else to be nervous about. Last but not least, wear a safety harness, yes they are a pain in the a$$, but they boost your confidence and you are not thinking about falling when you need to concentrate on shooting. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

By the way, Murphys Law applies to me greatly.
Take up knitting.[&:]

Stand mounted bow holder, quiver attached to the tree, take your release off while climbing, if you do not have a back to your seat then wrap a shirt or jacket around the tree to eleminate niose from you rubbing the tree with your back.

Other guys that hunt out of a tree stand more than I do will be able to help more.

Good luck on your first bow hunt.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:40 AM

and wear a saftey harness![:-]

Old 07-01-2003, 05:56 AM
nub

Your just gonna have to live and learn. Theres way too many things to list that can go wrong. Since we bowhunters have to let the deer come in real close, I' d say the #1 thing thats gonna get ya busted is movement. Learning when to move, be it drawing your bow, looking for the cause of a noise, putting down your grunt call, or whatever is the biggest challenge.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure your comfortable. Definitly practice shooting from your stand. I set one up in my backyard to shoot out of about a month before season. Shooting from a stand is different then 2 planted on the ground. Especially at short range shots. Be sure to keep your upper body the same, and only bend at the waist to line up. Several make the mistake of trying to lower their arms down, to line up for a shot. Practice this on the ground first. Hold your bow out straight in front of you, then bend at the waist downward. Your shots will be better. Also practice shooting while in a sitting position. As far as equipment, everyone' s different. I personnally use a Realtree ez hanger while up in the tree. It simple to use, screws into the tree, and can be adjusted to position your bow & equipment in easy arms reach. Check & double check all your equipment. Especially for stand squeaks. If you hear a slight squeak now in it, it' ll sound 5x' s louder in the woods. 10x' s louder to a deer!!! I also wear a full body safety harness. I hunt alone alot, and a cell phone would never work where I am. So I have to be extra careful! If you' ve ever fallen its a feeling you' ll never forget! Prep your bow stand sights early. I' ve alreadly prepped several for this coming season. Be sure to have clear lanes. Little tiny unseen branches sticking up have away of ruining a seeming easy shot. I also like to have several small lanes in different directions. O' Mr. Whitetail has away of showing up from the least likely direction you expect! Most of all have fun & learn to enjoy it!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2003, 05:48 PM

I normally set in a climber, facing the tree. This shouldn' t cause a problem. I better get one of those hangers though.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:15 PM

I normally set in a climber, facing the tree. This shouldn' t cause a problem. I better get one of those hangers though.
Seems like facing the tree with a bow would be awkward ...I' ve never tried it, so I' m just speculating. You probably should try it ahead of time though......If you like bow hunting you probably should check Summit Treestands out! They are great for bow hunting........I agree with a lot of the rest, every thing needs to be quiet....Your clothes, stand, bow and accesseries. You also need to be scent free, safe and confident of where your arrow will strike.......Be sure of your distant to your target. Good Luck!
Old 07-01-2003, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Practice just like your hunting! Use you stand and all your gear. Shoot, " practice" with all your hunting gear on and at targets in differant positions and distances!

Good Luck!
Old 07-02-2003, 02:09 AM

Where a safety strap, don' t clip the release to the string until you' re ready to shoot (you might need that hand free for something), hang the bow on a nearby branch (little more freedom to sit and stand as you please) and practice.
Mike,-

Quick Reply: Newbie Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.