Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
how important is cover for your TREESTAND? >

how important is cover for your TREESTAND?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how important is cover for your TREESTAND?

Old 06-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Spike

Default how important is cover for your TREESTAND?

so i use a climber stand and like everyone else, even though you might find a perfect spot to hunt, you might not have that "perfect tree". thats my exact issue, i found a perfect new spot on my property-a natural funnel with 2 intersecting paths- but there is one lone tree in range of the spot. i feel like if i am in that tree i will stick out like a sore thumb. there is no other cover near my tree so a deer would prob pin me. how important is cover for your stand and should i find a spot that doesnt make my location so obvious? Thanks!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Now days I cant stand it if I don't have some cover. I climb in trees that most other people wouldn't even think about. My favorite tree in my favorite spot has 4 trunks. The other trees work as my cover except that last year one of them broke off in an ice storm and kinda messed it up for me. I'm hopin some new limbs will grow out of it. It is an awesome spot.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

Don't know where you are from but here in Pa the deer look straight up as often as they look side to side. If I couldn't find a tree with cover there is no way I would set up in a tree where I could be skylined or just plain out busted. I would use a groundblind and break up it's silhouette with whatever vegetation is around.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think it depends on where you are hunting. Like posted above, deer around here are hunted alot and are always looking up... Depends on deer you are hunting and location... I have a stand that is very low, but very well concealed and I kill deer often out of it.... I also have spot where I use my climber and i need to go very high to due to the lack of cover available... all situational. Ideally, or given the choice, take the cover.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd sure rather have cover, but hunting some of the places I do in Texas cover is a luxury!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Background cover is a must, tree cover is a plus.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I rarely ever go above 15 feet, but if there is no cover on the tree I will go up another 3 feet or so.

The main thing is to limit your movement. Deer really don't have great vision, but they can see movement really well.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can't get the cover you need go 5 or 10 feet higher.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If ya feel as though yer gonna stick out, build a "black hole" on the ground in some bushes and tree's.. You will need one fer morning and another fer evenin...they, or it, should look like a black spot in the bushes when ya look at it
Old 06-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

I like to have a backdrop, something to break up my outline to a deer. One tree, I would feel like I would stick out. Maybe put the stand up a month earlier and put climbing sticks up to it and just let it set for a month so that the deer can get acclimated to it.
BigBuck95

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.