Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 07-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

More interesting statistics on crossbow hunters.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/ar...not_beginners/
Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by MO Archer
More interesting statistics on crossbow hunters.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/ar...not_beginners/
This is my favorite part of the article

"conducted by TenPoint Technologies, indicates that a majority of crossbow hunters are multi-season deer hunters"

Thanks for posting

Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

More numbers-

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09193/983377-358.stm
Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

More facts and numbers from Ohio's 08-09 Season.

http://www.oklahomaxbowshooters.org/...on-summary.pdf
Old 07-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Numbers from survey concerning crossbow usage in New Jersey.

http://www.oklahomaxbowshooters.org/...n-xbow-use.pdf
Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

MO Archer STOP IT ........ you're making too much sense
Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MO Archer
Numbers from survey concerning crossbow usage in New Jersey.

http://www.oklahomaxbowshooters.org/...n-xbow-use.pdf
MO Archer....you will never find a study or survey that will satisfy some. Unless you can find a study of 100,000 traditional archers that converted to xbows then you will always be accused of having a slant or spin. The facts are out there for anyone who wants them. Most do not want the facts or want to look. They have a preconceived idea and that's the end of it.

I can't even get some to admit that xbows have very similar hunting ranges with a compound bow and not like a gun. I mean how stubord can you be. It's like if they let their guard down and admit some of the things about xbows are untrue then they are a traitor to the brotherhood. It's shown they are not more unsafe, they will not harm the population, shorten seasons, and they have similar ranges, yet they will not admit it.

Like I always said....it all comes down to just not wanting to share the woods with more hunters. They think the xbow hunter will take over. I can at least respect someone when they admit this instead of throwing out a bunch of unsubstantiated "facts".
Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Ranger77
MO Archer

Interesting wounding study showing crossbow hunters are no more accurate than compound hunters.

Of course on a range I'm sure they are, but in the woods, in hunting conditions, the negatives of shooting a crossbow comes into play (they're heavy, they're loud, they're cumbersome etc)

ant-crossbow zealots will not recognize this study though ...... of course if it showed crossbows wounded more they would
Huh????? They are heavy, loud, cumbersome and deadly. The only one of those 4 things that is really relevant is the deadly part. Any disadvantage associated with them due to size, weight or shape is far outweighed by the fact that it is always loaded and can shoot immediately without movement. When hunting out of a tree stand having a bow that weighs 10 pounds (exaggeration) as opposed to 3 1/2 doesn't really matter. They may be loud but the speed the bolt gets there should eliminate any issue associated with the noise......unless someone is taking one of those 100yd shots.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 07-20-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
MO Archer....you will never find a study or survey that will satisfy some. Unless you can find a study of 100,000 traditional archers that converted to xbows then you will always be accused of having a slant or spin. The facts are out there for anyone who wants them. Most do not want the facts or want to look. They have a preconceived idea and that's the end of it.

I can't even get some to admit that xbows have very similar hunting ranges with a compound bow and not like a gun.
Thats because they don't. I can easily make a 60-70yard kill with an arrowgun. I guarantee it. I cannot with a compound. Only under excellent, I mean excellent conditions. KYbuck, have you ever held a compound for 30sec, even 1 min, maybe longer? Have you ever hunted in extreme cold after several hours, and tried to pull back and hold your compound at a deer at 50 yards? One of my biggest problems in extreme cold is my bulky clothing.

An arrowgun shooter can just sit there and take his time. Put his arrowgun on a rest. Slowly pull that trigger. No fatigue. No shaking. For me, this is just common sense. Mr. Islander on here even agrees. And we don't see eye to eye on this. But you want to take his experience, and mine and believe anything on the net you want.

But I am sure you and stealthy will both standup and say you never had these instances happen. And I hope you do for the audience reading.

My argument has been consistent all throughout this. I still stand by it. Sure, there are secondary arguements that strengthen my beliefs, but the bottom line is why archery season came into existence. The guys who worked for it. Thier arguement to state gov on why they need such a long season. If its not about tradition and doing something a little tougher than others, then make it open season. You don't like that ideal. You think its lame. Fine. I don't.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Huh????? They are heavy, loud, cumbersome and deadly. The only one of those 4 things that is really relevant is the deadly part. Any disadvantage associated with them due to size, weight or shape is far outweighed by the fact that it is always loaded and can shoot immediately without movement. When hunting out of a tree stand having a bow that weighs 10 pounds (exaggeration) as opposed to 3 1/2 doesn't really matter. They may be loud but the speed the bolt gets there should eliminate any issue associated with the noise......unless someone is taking one of those 100yd shots.
A club can also be deadly and well as a knife but they would also have some drawback when it comes to hunting, wouldn't you agree? I agree if you have a hand rail and the xbow on it ready to go it would make it easier. But if it's all about making it harder then why do we even hunt from a tree. All hunters give themselves an advantage by getting in a tree. If making it harder carries more weight then we all could get on the ground to hunt and stop taking the easy way out.

Also since sound travels around 1125fps the fastest bow or xbow arrow is still close to 3 to 4 times as slow. The xbow doesn't shoot that much faster than a compound if any. Depends on the model however but all xbows are much louder than a vertical bow.

Also you can get a second shot with a bow at times were the xbow would be nearly impossible. One other thing is a bow can be maneuvered around much easier to get a shot. If the deer is to the side or behind you it would be much easier to get a shot with a vertical bow.....The xbow doesn't have all the advantages if you want to be honest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.