Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 07-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
But there is no reason why they couldn't shoot the same size and wieght. I have arrows from 400gr to 700gr. Almost all Mfg for wheel bows require 350gr arrow at min for a 70lb bow. There are rare exceptions. IBO speed is at 6gpp. In fact, my ACC's are 400gr on the nose. Arrowgun shooters do shoot 400gr or higher, just like I do for wheel bows. These are all facts.

As long as they wiegh simular and have simular drag. Arrowgun shooters don't shoot 600gr or more. I have arrows from 400gr to 700gr. I know many a arrowgun shooter who shoots 400gr arrow.
I think a 400 gr. is about the minimum weight for a xbow. I think I would want to be safe and shoot heavier and also help with the noise they make. IBO is actually 5 gpp but I think most people don't shoot that light....I don't. The lightest arrow may be good to make a sales pitch for speed numbers but not for hunting. Xbows don't have an IBO standard so it's up to the manufacture to list it.

We can split hairs on this all day but all I was wanting to say is the xbow is not the long range weapon some say it is. It's pretty much the same as a vertical bow....Would you agree with that ?

I agree the xbow is easier to pick up and learn to shoot at 40 yards over a bow. No argument.....but in the end they are both very similar in their kill range in the real world. Would you agree ?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:13 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bigbulls
TOTALLY CRAZY!

I must be in a parallel universe where the everything is opposite of the reality I remember.
Nope, you know what they say about free advise on the internet? Do you believe every story on the net or only ones that align with your spin?

Old 07-20-2010, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting Kuk – of course you’re entitled to your opinion, but is it reasonable, logical and does it make sense?

If your proposed restrictions are placed on crossbows, use the same litmus test and place compounds on restrictions to vs longbows/recurves. Right?

Yes we need more people to start and fall in love with our sport,THE SPORT OF HUNTING not the sport of killing something with my xbow.
Those who truly want to learn to hunt will do so.
Those who will only hunt if they can use a specific weapon the sport can do without!!
That’s what we can say about compounder’s too, isn’t it?

Hmmm I dont think that anyone here ever said without a xbow, hunting is doomed. But what is fact, is that it IS legal archery equip, equal to a compound/longbow.
Alex G bowhunting wasn’t doomed when compounds were allowed in, however no one can argue the huge boom HAS helped bowhunting in so many ways.

Recurves and longbows are in a totally different league than compounds and crossbows. Nobody can argue that and its proven just by looking at 99% of people choosing to NOT shoot them because of the difficulty.

Compounds are still the bow of choice in Arkansas, even though crossbows have been legal for 35 years. Why would that be?

And YOU were the one that was crying earlier about xbows bringing more people to hunting,are those the kinda of people you think our sport needs,I don't.
wvnimrod what “kind” of people do you think uses crossbows?

Right now almost all states allow handicap to use them, maybe “those” people are the ones?

There are so many slob hunters its pathetic, you need only look to the opening day of rifle season to find more than you’ll ever find in archery. Sorry, it’s the truth, and knowing that your argument there isn’t up to snuff IMO.

Boy I'm glad your not my preacher! Two differnet things. It still doesn't change the fact that X bow hunters are not freaking archers!
The Rev ….. actually that’s a good point there, they’re probably NOT considered archers, but really are compounder’s archers?

Didn't say it should be up tp me,but if you think that any nut job that wants to kill something should be welcomed to come hunt,I hate to tell you,that is one of ANTI-HUNTERS biggest logs on their fire!
Wvnimrod – I’m with you on this, which is why traditional bowhunting has so much appeal. 99% of the hunt has nothing to do with killing.

So far my experience with crossbows is that is has been a tremendous "gateway drug" for my friends. They have started out with the xbow.....then decided they wanted to try a compound......and eventually most have ended up shooting traditional
Pa_yote_hunter very good testament there 

Bigbulls – I just noticed your icon there – love it
Old 07-20-2010, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

All of this arguing is a lost cause. Read this, taken from here-

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/weapon.asp

I find it interesting that draw locking devices are legal on vertical bows.

Vertical Bow Regulations

Vertical bows (compound, recurve, or straight limb) may be used to hunt nutria, woodchucks, and all game birds and game mammals, including migratory game birds, with the exception of beavers, long-tailed weasels, mink, muskrats, and river otters.

Draw locking devices are legal on all vertical bows except when hunting waterfowl.

Release aids are permitted.

For hunting deer and bear, the vertical bow shall have a full draw and pull of not less than 30 pounds.

Crossbow Regulations

Crossbows may be used to hunt nutria, woodchucks, and all game birds and game mammals with the exception of beavers, long-tailed weasels, mink, muskrats. river otters, and waterfowl.

The use of telescopic sights is permitted on all crossbows.
A crossbow used for deer or bear hunting shall have a draw of not less than 75 pounds.

All crossbows should have a working safety.

It is unlawful to have a ****ed crossbow in, on or leaning against any vehicle.

Regulations Pertaining to Both Vertical Bows and Crossbows

Arrows used for deer or bear hunting must have a sharpened broadhead with a metal cutting surface having a minimum width of 7/8 of an inch.

The vertical bow and crossbow may be used for hunting deer during the Deer Firearms Season and Muzzleloader Season, in accordance with Firearms and Muzzleloader Season regulations.

Firearms may not be carried while hunting deer during the Bow Season.

The use of poisoned arrows is not permitted.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have went from believing X bows are the devil to believing their OK back forth back forth back forth.. Dang theirs good speache's on both sides I'm kinda in the mid point's now IDK what to think lol

lets all be friends how bout it
Old 07-20-2010, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

More information. Seems crossbows have had a part of the archery season in MD for some time now.

This article was taken from here-

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/p...05/092605.html

Crossbow Deer Hunting Opens October 1

ANNAPOLIS, MD — The Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) reminded hunters today that deer hunting with crossbows is open during Maryland’s Archery Season from Oct. 1-15, 2005 and Jan. 16-31, 2006.

All crossbow hunters must possess a Resident or Nonresident Hunting License and a Resident or Nonresident Bow Stamp. Any white-tailed deer or sika deer taken with a crossbow will count toward the appropriate Regional Bow Bag Limit. All bow-hunting regulations apply to crossbow hunters.

In addition, crossbows must have a minimum draw of 75 pounds and have a functioning trigger safety. Arrows used for deer hunting must have a sharpened broadhead with a minimum 7/8- inch cutting surface. A ****ed crossbow may not be transported in a vehicle and should never be hauled into or out of a tree-stand.

Deer taken with crossbows will be registered as taken with a crossbow. Deer taken with straight limb, recurve or compound bows will be registered as taken with vertical bows. Maryland DNR deer biologists will be able to accurately analyze the harvest of deer taken with crossbows and vertical bows to study the impact of archery equipment on deer populations.

NEW THIS YEAR: successful Maryland deer hunters will now register their deer by calling 1-888-800-0121 or online at www.gamecheck.dnr.state.md.us Hunters are required to immediately attach a completed field tag to the head of the deer and complete the Maryland Big Game Harvest Record provided with the hunting license. Hunters will receive a confirmation number when registering the deer. All documents must be recorded in ink. Complete instructions for the new check-in process are located on pages 26 – 27 of the 2005-2006 Guide to Hunting & Trapping in Maryland or at: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersgu...k_instruct.asp

Seven sika deer and 344 white-tailed deer were taken during the 2004-2005 four-week crossbow season. During this same four-week period, 143 sika deer and 4,114 white-tailed deer were taken with vertical bows. The top counties for the four week crossbow season were: Baltimore- 39; Harford- 36; Frederick- 31; Allegany- 26; Washington- 26; Montgomery- 25; Prince George’s- 22; Charles-17; Anne Arundel- 16; Garrett- 12; Howard- 12.

Hunting is one of the safest outdoor activities. In order to maintain this safety record, DNR reminds crossbow hunters to follow these safety guidelines:
Maximum effective range is 40 yards.
Know exactly where the arrow will hit before you pull the trigger (practice, practice, practice).
Never walk or climb a tree with a crossbow ****ed and loaded with an arrow.
Always use manufacturer recommended arrow weights.
Practice with the same type of broadhead you plan to hunt with.
Keep your fingers and thumb down on the crossbow forearm out of the path of travel for the string and cables.
Always identify your target and background before you shoot.
Never shoot if there is any doubt about the shot.
Never shoot if the animal is alert.
Carry a field point tipped arrow in your quiver to un**** the crossbow at the end of the hunt by shooting the arrow into soft ground.
Maryland Crossbow Deer Hunting Season is part of the Maryland DNR Deer Management Project. Archery hunting combined with firearm and muzzleloader deer hunting, provides outdoor recreation for over 80,000 Maryland residents, manages white-tailed deer and sika deer populations and contributes over $150 million annually to Maryland’s economy.

Complete bag limits, season dates and bow hunting regulations can be found at the DNR website, www.dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide. The Hunting & Trapping in Maryland 2005-2006 Guide, issued with each hunting license, also contains detailed information about all of Maryland’s hunting seasons.
September 26, 2005
Old 07-20-2010, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

Wounding study conducted on modern archery equipment (vertical and cross bows) in MD.

SEE ATTACHMENT
Attached Thumbnails So crossbow are legal now......-pedersen-31-34.pdf  
Old 07-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Nice comparison with cited sources. Click link to download.

http://www.crossbowed.org/images/Cro...%209-15-08.pdf

Last edited by MO Archer; 07-20-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Another great article with good information.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/product...rformance.html
Old 07-20-2010, 06:49 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by MO Archer
Another great article with good information.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/product...rformance.html
So, they are using a top of the line speed bow and comparing with a mediocre to good performance arrowgun. Imagine that.

I have seen arrowguns that have chrono'd over 350fps. I have yet to see but one compound do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.