Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 07-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you even hunt in MD to be even able to write on this thread?
How about a MD hunter posting on a thread about NY - please explain the difference.
Our is it only a requirement for some?
Post 10.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/nort...bow-bills.html
Old 07-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Do you even hunt in MD? Since you stay in the bowhunting forum so much, you ought to try to shoot a bow. I am just sayin.

But I do lease hundreds of acres to get away from the x-bow folks. Different breed, thats for sure.
like i said before. i don't have the money to buy a bow, if i did i would. i've been interested in trying it for a while. i just don't have the extra money too get one. that's the main reason i come in this forum and learning all i can until i do have the money. i'm for any style of hunting, as long as it's legal of course.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:02 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
How about a MD hunter posting on a thread about NY - please explain the difference.
Our is it only a requirement for some?
Post 10.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/nort...bow-bills.html
That was mainly aimed at you steve. Well because you crack me up with your logic or lack of. But you saw I bowed out rather quick, because I sincerely never plan to ever move or hunt yankee country.

Last edited by bigcountry; 07-09-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:19 PM
bigcountry

There is a good reason for all those deer. Its called urban spraw and if its only about deer mgmt. we can do that by making it weapon of choice. That will thin em, right? I have yet to see a state so crowded as MD with hunting. I would litterly wager that during the gun season there is one hunter for every open 10 acres (people that allows hunting of course). Carroll is unreal. I almost can't call it hunting anymore. Its just sitting on a hedgerow and waiting for deer to pass thru because its litterly thier ownly route to take.

AS a person who has hunted out west, KY, WV, TN, VA, Newfoundland, I have yet to see anything like it here in MD. Only way to really "hunt" is to lease a bunch of land for 3K or so. I tell folks you have to apply months in advance for lottos, and qualify to hunt other places, and folks can't believe it. I almost don't call it hunting. But its what I got.

But don't worry, it will thin out within the next decade just like PA. Especially with MD's DNR whose goal is to lower the deer pop, and not just hunting is a heritage.

Originally Posted by brucelanthier
I hunt in MD and hunt public land open to everyone. I have been open to crossbows during archery season before it became reality.

I have also advocated one long season and you get so many tags per weapon of choice. X amount of tags to use with firearms (to include ML's), X amount to use with archery (to include crossbows). I think that would make the woods less crowded, although my woods are not close to being crowded, even during firearms.

Right now, if I were to use all my tags, I could kill 6 bucks and 30 does (unlimited does in 4 countys). It would seem we are not killing enough deer in this state to have so many available tags. We kill 100,000+ deer a year and we still get 36+ deer tags a year and people are complaining about crossbows during archery season? I guess I don't understand. If it were so crowded with so many hunters how come we get so many tags?

I expect there to be a big rush on the crossbow front but when these hunters find out that deer aren't gonna just walk up and let them shoot them with an arrow it will die down and they will revert back to doing something easier.

I probably won't get one this year but I expect to own a crossbow next year and get my 9 yr old daughter out back in the blind to see if she can arrow her first deer.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know what areas you are hunting but last year opening day of gun season I was hunting 485 acers of public land that had only 2 other guys in it is the am 5 people all day. I don't know how you can say that MD is so crowded with hunters.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Madjac20
Recurve...compound...crossbow...even sling-shot, it all comes down to getting your target in range for an ethical/lethal shot. That's where you, the hunter you say you are, becomes the main part of the equation. I don't care what you use to seal the deal, just do it legally and ethically.
what dose it matter what you use if you hunt your on land why are some hunters dowing crossbows do they think compounds are not a edge like i said you hunt yours and i will hunt mind just my tne cent.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Marylandbowhunter
I don't know what areas you are hunting but last year opening day of gun season I was hunting 485 acers of public land that had only 2 other guys in it is the am 5 people all day. I don't know how you can say that MD is so crowded with hunters.
I rarely see any one during firearms/ML and I hunt public land open to everyone. There are times I see other cars in the parking lots but don't see the hunters. There is over 4000 acres of public land I can hunt all within 20 minutes of where I live and they seem to be opening up 100's of acres to hunting every year. Just last year they opened up a 1700 acre parcel. I scouted it out this spring and will hunt down there this year. We'll see how many others are hunting it then.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

I totally agree. I hunt a lot of public land in MD and hardly see many other bow hunters at all, and I see a lot of deer. either MD hunters don't shoot anything because these deer are reproducing to an unhealthy number.

My private land is way up in the counties and I still see about 10-15 deer per sit. I agree though that MD is a big deer hunting state. It was always neat to see how the first Monday of gun season my high school was pretty empty. Damn red necks, lol
Old 07-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well bigcountry....looks like three Md. guys in a row don't agree with you. Maybe you should hunt another spot. If the hunters are as bad as you say then how are there any deer left?
Old 07-09-2010, 05:34 PM
bigcountry

Are you talking ft meade? They have a limit of people there if thats what you are referring too. Where?

I am talking Morgans Run, Sawmill, Fishing Bay, blackwater, Hugg Thomas, Indian Springs, Wye Island, Millington, Lecompte If you really believe those places are not crowded then we live in totally different states. And if you say you can hunt those places and not see a hunter during gun season, your a bald face liar. Thats all there is to it.

I own several acres behind my house, and first day of gun season, I can see 4 hunters in every direction. Sitting right on the edge of my property.

If you guys think MD is real hunting, I suggest heading west and trying CO or even Eastern Ky. Where the deer have a choice of going over the next mountain when there is pressure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.