Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 06-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My fear is that X-gun use will result in higher 'bow season' kills and therefore bow season will get shrunk down into a 2 week season similiar to muzzle loader season.
Can you post an instance where this has happened? Also the crossbow has been around since 400 BC shooting string powered projectiles - 1800 years before the first guns appeared and aprox 2370 years before the compound bow/machine.

Are you willing to sacrifice the nice long bow season by including in it a weapon that is much easier to use and efficient at killing deer?
That easier weapon is already been added to the bow seasons - the compound. Way harder to successfuly hunt with real bows - lonbows and recurves. That is why less then 10% of those hunting the bow seasons use them - too much work to bother with.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you feel so strongly about xbows should have there own season, then take that up with your state reps
No hope there. I don't have the kind of money that buys their votes. Unfortunately the crossbow industry does.

That easier weapon is already been added to the bow seasons - the compound. Way harder to successfuly hunt with real bows - lonbows and recurves. That is why less then 10% of those hunting the bow seasons use them - too much work to bother with.
LOL! Thanks, you are making my point. Look what compounds did to the use of recurves and long bows. But that's water under the bridge. I was a child when compounds came on to the scene and therefore I was not involved in the debate. By the time I got into archery compounds were the overwhelming dominate force in the archery world so it's no shock that's what I came to use. But now the logic seems to be that since one step was taken towards a more modern bow then all bets are off trying to prevent anything with a string from being used. I don't follow or subscribe to that logic.

A compound still has to be drawn and held at full draw. You have to learn how to shoot it with good consistent repeatable form just like you do any bow. Yes, it's easier than learning to master a long bow. But it still involves the same dynamics.

By comparrison there is not a single skill involved with shooting a recurve or long bow that is required or used in firing a crossbow. They are completely disimilar. A crossbow is ****ed and remains that way on it's own. You aim it exactly like you do a gun. It can easily be fired from a rested position. It can and usually is fitted with a scope that helps you see better in low light situations. And despite the vastly exaggerated IBO speeds you see listed for most bows the speed of crossbows are almost always much faster than what the average bow hunter is getting.

Ask yourself this, if a crossbow wasn't much easier than a compound then why would their legalization get more people out there as their defenders claim? I mean if compounds were just as simple then why wouldn't all those people already be out there using one? Food for thought.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Fork Horn

shoots a shaft tipped with a broadhead like a compound,uses a string to launch this shaft like a compound,pull a trigger to release the arrow like i do on my compound has limbs like a compound,wheels like a compound,does not use powder common sense says it belongs in archery season if not dont let the handicapped use them in archery season..

love my compound but am going to recurves,more public hunting oppertunities.. i just dont see how a person says they belong in rifle season... i see a hunter scared of competion for deer..seen crossbow hunters in the woods usually older hunters,,they still have to put themselves where the deer are...
Old 06-26-2010, 01:39 AM
Typical Buck

blahblahblahblbhalbhalbh

You can tell the people that have never used a crossbow............

Go ahead and allow them in the NORMAL archery season. It won't change anything. Last time I check Ohio has allowed crossbows for many many years. Big, no HUGE bucks are taken there every year.

Fact is crossbows (most of them, there are a couple exceptions with VERY large price tags) have equal range (at best) as a modern compound.

Modern compounds are EASIER to move through the woods with.

Modern compounds are typicaly FASTER than crossbows (yes there are some VERY EXPENSIVE exceptions).

Modern compounds are quieter.

Modern compounds are easier to shoot without a rest (as in sandbags, tree, etc not an arrow rest).

The "slob hunter" everyone is so afraid of will by a cheap crossbow, take it hunting. miss three deer at 75+ yards. Cuss the POS crossbow and never go hunting again with it.

If you ever used a crossbow you know that they are not an advantage. I wont use on until I have to.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cartman308
blahblahblahblbhalbhalbh

Go ahead and allow them in the NORMAL archery season. It won't change anything. Last time I check Ohio has allowed crossbows for many many years. Big, no HUGE bucks are taken there every year.

Fact is crossbows (most of them, there are a couple exceptions with VERY large price tags) have equal range (at best) as a modern compound.

Modern compounds are typicaly FASTER than crossbows (yes there are some VERY EXPENSIVE exceptions).

Modern compounds are easier to shoot without a rest (as in sandbags, tree, etc not an arrow rest).

The "slob hunter" everyone is so afraid of will by a cheap crossbow, take it hunting. miss three deer at 75+ yards. Cuss the POS crossbow and never go hunting again with it.

If you ever used a crossbow you know that they are not an advantage. I wont use on until I have to.
There is no way you can equate shooting a compound bow and a cross bow, except for approx. equal range and speed of projectile. Those who do are just being disingenuous.

A crossbow is a 'gun' version of a bow, and only differ from a gun in that there is a mechanical means to propel the projectile vs. a chemical means. Thats it.

A bow, whether it be a compound or a trad bow, requires very precise and practiced form, muscle control, a most importantly excellent timing when pulling back for the shot.

I can understand folks wanting crossbows during archery season....if you don't want to take the time to learn how to shoot a bow well yet you want to be able to spend more time in the woods hunting the crossbow is your ticket.

The arguement that shooting a crossbow takes about the same skill as shooting a compound bow is just stupid. I would be willing to bet anyone $1000 that if I went to a rifle range, grabbed 10 folks who had never shot a bow, and then spent 1 hour teaching each of them how to shoot a crossbow and a compound bow, those 10 would all be proficient with the crossbow and would still be in the steep part of the learning curve with the compound bow.

Add in the extreme difficulty involved with picking the right time to draw a compound bow, and it is clear that the X-bow is not in the same class as either a trad or compound bow.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cartman308
blahblahblahblbhalbhalbh

yes here in ohio we've had crossbows legal probably longer than any other state and we have never had (to my knowledge) a problem with deer being over hunted. in fact our deer herd is still growing very well after 2 yrs. of record harvests. here in defiance county they just increased our limit of 2 deer to 4 deer this year. ohio has an excellent deer management program. and i also realize this is a great habitat state for deer which helps, but even so, once again we have an excellent management program. we also don't have all this bickering(unless it's about careless,unethical hunters). yes some still don't like crossbows or bows or shotguns or muzzleloaders etc.. they all have their own preference. if you are worried about over hunted deer your state should get/use a better management program. and yes i know some states don't have as good a population or habitat but as i just said......and for the sake of one of the arguements yes compounds and recurve takes a little more skill/work/practice- so what- we are all out in the woods for the same purpose no matter which legal weapon we choose. so you shouldn't be worried about and saying the crossbows will bring in too many hunters and over hunt deer when it hasn't even happened, and you can't say that it will. you don't have to like cb's but you will have to accept them when it's legal to use them. and as i said in my previous reply. if you want cb's to have their own season then don't cry and complain about how short your bow season is or when it starts/stops because you will hate that alot more. opc orn:
Old 06-26-2010, 08:54 AM
bigcountry

Holy cow, arrow gun shooters are some sensitive folks. I have a feeling noidurism is home crying right now. Listen noid, put some practice in, and actually try to hunt with real bow. It won't kill you to actually put some effort in something. In fact, I guarantee you it will be rewarding to actually try.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

like I said. you can tell who has and hasnt used one of those "evil" contraptions.

I have used my dads to target shoot. I will never use one in a regular archery season until i'm forced to due to injury or age.

Like someone else said. If they make special seasons for crossbows, what season do you think they will take from???? Dont cry when "your" archery season is shortened.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

like I said. you can tell who has and hasnt used one of those "evil" contraptions.
They are not evil any more than a rifle is evil. They just, like a rifle, don't belong in the same season as a bow IMHO. And yes I have shot one. They used to be illegal during any season here in Alabama unless you were handicapped and I was a very vocal critic of that fact because I saw no reason they should have been restricted from all seasons.

But look, we separate muzzleoader season from centerfire rifle season down here. Yet a muzzleloader and a rifle are waaaaay more similar weapons than a bow and a cross bow. Why then shouldn't those two weapons be separated also?

Last edited by Todd1700; 06-26-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like someone else said. If they make special seasons for crossbows, what season do you think they will take from???? Dont cry when "your" archery season is shortened.
Why would it be shortened? You can still use a bow in gun season and they should still be allowed in any proposed crossbow season. You can still use a muzzleloader here even after rifle season comes in. You should always be able to use the more difficult weapon even when an easier ones season comes in. If a person wants to impose more of a challenge on himself by using a more primative weapon than is currently allowed then who should care?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.