Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 06-28-2010, 06:12 AM
bigcountry

Why is the weapon of choice arguement silly? Bow season is eitehr about tradition or its not. Its about doing things that takes a bit more effort or its not. Its that simple. If its only about getting new hunters, and deer mgmt then, sure weapon of choice.

I sure don't want weapon of choice, I want it be about tradition, doing something that takes some effort. And if its not about that, well, at least we won't be hypocritical.

I like for men to be men. I don't like wishywashy people. Bow season is either about tradition or its not.

No big hyprocrit here. I just know for a fact that crossbows are for lazy slobs who do not want to put the time in to shoot a bow. They are too sorry to pull a bow back.

I have no issues with an elderly person or disabled shooting a crossbow. They have enough going against them. But thats not what we are talking about here.

BB, your the type of guy who would hire a race car driver that claims never to have been in a wreck. Any team owner would call you a complete idiot. But you honestly couldn't see that. You want someone that has experience. I have experience with crossbows, compounds, tradbows, selfbows. You call that elitist, I call it experience.

Dealers of bows. Goodness gracious, I thought you were just being stubborn, but starting to think difference. What do you think we are talking about here??? Keep up.

Whats so hard about your ML, archery, gun seasons, is its hypocritical. A arrow gun has basically the same stock and trigger assembly of a gun. Has the same advantage as a gun as point and shoot. The only thing it (crossbow for those who have trouble keeping up) doesn't have is range.

Originally Posted by bigbulls
So what you are saying is that you are the big hypocrite on this thread and now you are a traditional bow elitist? It takes everything away from your argument. You CHOSE to make your bows yourself and hunt with them. That was your CHOICE. But only after you CHOSE to be a bow "pervert"

Dealers of what? Guns or bows?

BC, your one season argument is just silly. I don't think that any dealers or hunters, gun or bow, would want a single hunting season and no one is advocating such a thing other than you. Is this what you want? You seem to be the only one here arguing for it. A single, anything goes season would kill profits of gun and bow shops allike and would kill the overall number of hunters... both established hunters and new hunters. I think it would have exactly the opposite efect of what you are trying to argue.

It's very simple really. Archery, ML and general gun. What's so friggin hard about that?

If it uses limbs and a string to propel an arrow then it belongs in archery season. You don't have to use any particular one if you don't want to. You can use your self made bows and Billy Bob can use his compound or crossbow.

If you must load the gun by drop the powder and bullet down the front of the barrel then it belongs in ML season. You don't have to use a modern inline if you don't want to. You can use a flintlock if you choose and Billy Bob can use a TC Encore.

If it fires a self contained cartridge that is made up of smokeless gunpowder, a case, bullet and primer then it belongs in the general gun season. Again you don't have to use one if you don't want to. You can use a 32-20 and Billy bob can use his 7mmSTW if he wants to.

Last edited by bigcountry; 06-28-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

BC, your one season argument is just silly. I don't think that any dealers or hunters, gun or bow, would want a single hunting season and no one is advocating such a thing other than you. Is this what you want? You seem to be the only one here arguing for it.
Thanks!

Why is the weapon of choice arguement silly? Bow season is eitehr about tradition or its not.
Tradition for you maybe - for many its about using different tools and extending their overall hunting seasons. Fred Bear marketed "be a 2 season hunter".

Bow season is either about tradition or its not.
You mean that 35 year old compound tradition?
As compared to recurve/longbow of 1000's and crossbow of 2400?

I have no issues with an elderly person or disabled shooting a crossbow.
If, as some claim, crossbows are not archery equipment, why should anyone use them in the bow seasons? Why not just allow them any weapon. They are either archery or they are not. Which is it?

Anybody that can't see or recongnize these advantages is a complete moron.
Pretty sure that is a rules violation. Discussions should not sink to name calling - especially if someone feels their points are strong. Good place to go when they are weak though.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:52 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Pretty sure that is a rules violation. Discussions should not sink to name calling - especially if someone feels their points are strong. Good place to go when they are weak though.
Your correct. I appoligize. I just can't believe that some can't see the advantages of a arrow-gun.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

BB, your the type of guy who would hire a race car driver that claims never to have been in a wreck. Any team owner would call you a complete idiot. But you honestly couldn't see that. You want someone that has experience. I have experience with crossbows, compounds, tradbows, selfbows. You call that elitist, I call it experience.
There's a difference in someone having experience that is willing to open them selves up to other peoples experience and someone having experience and thinks that their way is the only way to do it no matter what. You are the latter.

I just can't believe that some can't see the advantages of a arrow-gun.
I can see the advantages of a crossbow just as I can see the advantages of a compound just as I can see the advantages of a recurve over a long bow. No one here said that they didn't have advantages. What I did say is that crossbows meet every definition of archery equipment and date back thousands of years before the compound bow. So call it a primitive weapons season or archery season they qualify as both.

Last edited by bigbulls; 06-28-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:17 PM
bigcountry

There's a difference in someone having experience that is willing to open them selves up to other peoples experience and someone having experience and thinks that their way is the only way to do it no matter what. You are the latter.
Not in the least. Its just when someone tries out a crossbow and within litterly min, is able to hit deer vitals out to 60yards, you got ask yourself if this is really the archery tradition that was handed down to us.

Now, take the same newbie, and throw a compound in his hand and see if he can nail deer vitals 100% of the time at 60 yards. Not so easy anymore. Takes practice, muscle memory, stamina (even wit 80% letoff).

But with the new law coming in effect in MD, I am starting a new medieval crossbow build. Probably not up to your stardards with a scope or reddot with yardage comp, but am going to try to make as close as possible to 1200AD crossbow with a hophornbeam prod sinewed heavily and bone lever.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:22 PM
bigcountry

What I did say is that crossbows meet every definition of archery equipment and date back thousands of years before the compound bow. So call it a primitive weapons season or archery season they qualify as both.
Ok, so now its just about defintion of archery equipment?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Yep, keep telling yourself that "days of lives".

ok i won't sit here and argue with you. you hunt the way you want. i'll hunt the way i want. legally of course! there's just no need to cut someone elses way of hunting down and basically call me a lazy slob. i could cut you down and burn you real quick but i'm not gonna lower myself down to your immature level. maybe you should read the forum rules again!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ok, so now its just about defintion of archery equipment?
As it should pertain to the law. Absolutely.

You and your family can continue what ever hunting tradition that you wish. Just as with Christmas traditions. Some people feed the homeless, some sing carols, some sit at home and get drunk, some open up a single present on Christmas eve. What ever. Traditions, just like hunting ethics are nothing more than personal choice and not representative of the entire hunting population in the least.

Oh, and BTW. I don't own a crossbow, have never owned a crossbow, can't stand shooting a crossbow, never recommend a crossbow to anyone if they ask, personally don't want anything to do with a crossbow, and hopefully will never have to hunt with a crossbow. But I'm not so selfish to say that "Joe Hunter" down the road shouldn't.

Last edited by bigbulls; 06-28-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:52 PM
bigcountry

But you would be too selfish to let Joe Hunter hunt with his rifle during the coveted rut???

So for Joe Hunter to participate in good rut action, he has to go to your shop, buy a 500-1000 dollar rig. That doesn't seem fair does it? Joe Orange Army Hunter pays taxes just like the rest.

Again, its either about tradition and doing something a bit harder than the rest that takes effort, or its only about deer mgmt. Its that easy. Sure you don't want that. But your willing to go as far as saying arrow gun hunters should with amplified scopes and red dot sites.

Yea, right.

As it should pertain to the law. Absolutely.

You and your family can continue what ever hunting tradition that you wish. Just as with Christmas traditions. Some people feed the homeless, some sing carols, some sit at home and get drunk, some open up a single present on Christmas eve. What ever. Traditions, just like hunting ethics are nothing more than personal choice and not representative of the entire hunting population in the least.

Oh, and BTW. I don't own a crossbow, have never owned a crossbow, can't stand shooting a crossbow, never recommend a crossbow to anyone if they ask, personally don't want anything to do with a crossbow, and hopefully will never have to hunt with a crossbow. But I'm not so selfish to say that "Joe Hunter" down the road shouldn't.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

But you would be too selfish to let Joe Hunter hunt with his rifle during the coveted rut???
First of all, it's not up to me, it's up to the state to decide what you can use during the rut. Just as it is up to them as to whether they allow center fire rifles at all. Just as it is theirs to decide what minimum arrow weight, minimum bullet diameter, minimum draw weight, minimum arrow length, minimum broadhead diameter, season dates, bag limits, buck or doe seasons/tags, hunting license prices, so on and so on and so on.

Second, hunt with what every your state says you can hunt with during the rut. I hunt with my rifle during the Rut every year down here in Florida because I can. I shot my largest deer to date during the rut with my .270. But if i were limited to archery equipment then I'd buy archery equipment if I wanted to hunt.

So for Joe Hunter to participate in good rut action, he has to go to your shop, buy a 500-1000 dollar rig. That doesn't seem fair does it? Joe Orange Army Hunter pays taxes just like the rest.
Whether he is Joe Hunter or Joe Army Hunter doesn't matter. If he wants to hunt in the rut he is going to have to go to some sporting goods store in one of the 50 states and plop down $500 - $1000 for either a gun, ML or bow set up depending on what your state allows.

But your willing to go as far as saying arrow gun hunters should with amplified scopes and red dot sites.
Feel free to quote where I said that I am for magnified scopes on archery equipment. As far as red dots go I am pretty sure they are legal in nearly every state on the other style of bows. I know that they are here in Florida and Alabama.

Nice attempt at putting words in my mouth.
Try harder next time because this time you FAIL.

Last edited by bigbulls; 06-28-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.