Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 06-22-2010, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same argument could be used to allow unscoped handguns into bow season.
Except the pistol uses gunpowder as a propellent and goes boom - hence they are a gun.

Muzzleloaders predate compounds too. By your logic I guess we'll have them in bow season next. Another nonsense point by you.

Again - they use gunpowder and goes boom - hence they are a gun. Logic puts all guns in gun season and all archery equipment in bow seasons.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:42 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bigbulls
In the evolution of "archery" hunting the crossbow should have been legal long before the compound bow became legal. The crossbow has been around for hundreds, if not thousands, of years before the invention of the compound bow.

If it uses a "bow" and a string to propel an arrow then it is archery equipment and should be legal during archery season.

The don't call it compound bow season or long bow season. They call it archery season and a crossbow is archery equipment.

So all the naysayers can get off their high horses and welcome the new hunters that crossbow hunting will bring to the sport and help keep the old hunters that are no longer archery hunting... God knows we need them.
The crossbow your talking about it totally different. Most with a yew wooded prod, or horn and sinew.

Its going to be a freakin nightmare in MD this year. I was down at bass pro last week and arrow-guns are flyin off the shelf.

Overheard two younguns talking with the sales assocciate. He was telling them they can easily take deer at 50 yards. One of the kids said he has taken deer at 60 yards with his x-arrow gun.

If the deer seasons are not about tradition, and only about pulling in hunters, and deer management, then they should make MD deer season, weapon of choise. Shotgun, bow, arrow-gun.

But if it is about tradition. If it is about learning that the easiest way is not the most satisfying, and nothing easy is worth a darn, then arrow guns should only be allowed during gun season.

I freakin dread the season this year with all these slobs.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

The crossbow your talking about it totally different.
So is trying to say a modern compound has anything to do with the real bows that the seasons where started with.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
So is trying to say a modern compound has anything to do with the real bows that the seasons where started with.
I don't know, I didn't start with a modern wheelie.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could care less if people hunt with crossbows, there are no advantages to shooting them at all. If you have done your homework and scouted in the off-season, then who really cares if people sporting crossbows hunt your same woods? Just get in the woods and hunt. It is not like a guy shooting a crossbow can set his crossbow to semi-automatic and mow down a herd of deer.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

How about we concentrate on those who want to ban hunting, and leave each other alone? (I have never used a crossbow, just recurve, compound, muzzleloader, rifle, shotgun). But, we have enough people against us without turning on each other.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Muzzleloaders and bows are commonly called primitive weapons. Sorry you weren't aware of that. But whether they technically call the season that or not is a ridiculous red herring argument and totally beside the point. My point was to explain why these seasons were established in the first place. And you didn't touch that point because it's spot on accurate.
Are modern compound bows and a modern inline muzzle loader primitive weapons? That was your first attempt to prove a nonexistent point. I shot it down with the fact that you don't have a primitive weapons season in Alabama to begin with and even if you do still want to lump compound bows and modern in-line muzzle loaders as "primitive weapons" the fact that a crossbow is 2500 more years primitive than the compound bow and about 1700 more years primitive than the black powder gun solidifies that your point is based on nothing more than selfishness.

Muzzleloaders predate compounds too. By your logic I guess we'll have them in bow season next. Another nonsense point by you.
I never even remotely suggested such nonsense. Keep it in context if you can. Muzzle loaders are firearms and crossbows are archery equipment. I hope that you are aware of the difference but if not I will be glad to explain the differences to you.

Any kid that can't yet pull back 35 lbs on a youth compound bow couldn't lift a crossbow to fire it either. Another lame duck argument.
Is it too much to imagine the father helping the child out just as he would with a rile or shotgun?

Translation: "I have no comeback to the obvious truth of this statement so I will just call it a name."
No, the fact that someone would make such a feeble attempt to connect the "dumbing down of America" to a kid hunting with a crossbow is as lame an argument one could make in this thread.

Why should a kid that can't yet read be denied a high school diploma?

Why should a kid that isn't old enough to see over the dash board of a car be denied a drivers license?

Why shouldn't a 5 year old be allowed to go vote with their father this coming November?
Lump thiese with the above "dumbing down of America" comment that you made. Absolutely absurd.

Gee, I don't know. Cause maybe there should be some things in life that require you to meet a certain minimum standard of intelligence, age, strength and maturity.
I think I will leave that up to mom and dad to decide how mature their children are and when and what they should hunt with. It isn't up to my judgement and it sure as heck isn't yours either.

Face it. Your arguments hold about as much water as one of these.

The crossbow your talking about it totally different. Most with a yew wooded prod, or horn and sinew.
You are correct. I'd like to point out though that long bows and compound bows are as different from each other as the 2500 year old crossbows and modern crossbows so I'm not getting the point of this statement. Both long bows and compound bows are perfectly legal bows during archery season. And to get right down to it, the long bow is separated by thousands of more years from the modern compound than what is separating the crossbows.

Overheard two younguns talking with the sales assocciate. He was telling them they can easily take deer at 50 yards. One of the kids said he has taken deer at 60 yards with his x-arrow gun.
I hear dozens of those stories every bow season buy compound bow "hunters". I have told people I wouldn't sell them a bow simply because they were in there to buy the fastest compound bow made so that they could take a deer at 100 yards. I hear it far more from compound bow hunters than I do crossbow hunters.

I freakin dread the season this year with all these slobs.
There were people in Alabama making the same arguments as this when Alabama legalized crossbows during archery season and they have proven to be completely unfounded. We sold more crossbows that first year than we did compound bows and the woods and the deer are just as they were before crossbows became legal some 7-ish years ago.

Last edited by bigbulls; 06-22-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

How about we concentrate on those who want to ban hunting, and leave each other alone? (I have never used a crossbow, just recurve, compound, muzzleloader, rifle, shotgun). But, we have enough people against us without turning on each other.
What fun would that be?

I don't think anyone is "turning" on each other. Just arguing our points of view.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
What fun would that be?

I don't think anyone is "turning" on each other. Just arguing our points of view.
I think it goes past that, and causes a lot of discontent. As a matter of fact, I urge anyone who wants to bowhunt but is not comfortable with a compound/recurve/longbow to buy a crossbow and hunt (if legal in your state). The excise tax you will pay will help the sport. Also, join the NRA, as they are trying to protect all hunting. NWTF is another good organization, as well as SCI and others.

20 years ago, I griped about the "cross-gun" hunters, but I have gotten wiser with age.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:57 PM
bigcountry

There were people in Alabama making the same arguments as this when Alabama legalized crossbows during archery season and they have proven to be completely unfounded. We sold more crossbows that first year than we did compound bows and the woods and the deer are just as they were before crossbows became legal some 7-ish years ago.
Well, thats what supposal experts say about MD, when they legalized them for certain parts of the season a few years ago. The people for them, still say it made no impact. But as a person who hunts alot, I am here to tell you they are full of crap and spin. Pure freakin idiots. But I seriously doubt anything could change your mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.