Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 06-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is my point of view as for my reason for being against cross bows. If you read back through some of my old old posts I've had enough encounters with total idiots, now this is how I see crossbows, It doesn't really matter about the public opinion (Imo) they'll do what they want.

Ryan.

On a side note another problem I see with them is it makes shooting out of a vehicle 10000x easier because hey lets face it how many times in the woods have you heard someones bow go off?

So crossbow are legal now......-cross-bows.jpg
Old 06-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
In the evolution of "archery" hunting the crossbow should have been legal long before the compound bow became legal. The crossbow has been around for hundreds, if not thousands, of years before the invention of the compound bow.

If it uses a "bow" and a string to propel an arrow then it is archery equipment and should be legal during archery season.

The don't call it compound bow season or long bow season. They call it archery season and a crossbow is archery equipment.

So all the naysayers can get off their high horses and welcome the new hunters that crossbow hunting will bring to the sport and help keep the old hunters that are no longer archery hunting... God knows we need them.
Best post in the whole thread
Old 06-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MOhunter46
Best post in the whole thread
Agreed! I've heard all these arguments a long time ago, when compounds came onto the scene. They weren't alway legal either.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

When I was "able" to shoot a compound I always said I would NEVER go to a crossbow, NO WAY NEVER HAPPEN! If can't shoot a compound I will quit bow hunting!

Well, few surgeries later and a Dr. that told me never to shoot compound again or pull anything with weight. I thought do I want to really quit bow hunting at the age of 34 just because of my pride???

Next DR's appointment I took the form in to have him fill out so I could shoot a crossbow because here in Missouri it is not legal without a DR.'s excuse.

To me hunting with a crossbow is just as hard as a compound because there shots I can't take with crossbow that a could with a compound. I was more accurate with my compound than I am with the crossbow and that is a fact. Crossbows weigh alot more than a compound and are harder to get around with in the woods or stand. Forget about 2nd shots!

It took me needing to use one to find out that it was NO easier to hunt deer with a crossbow. JMHO

Also I would have no problem if Missouri made crossbows legal for everyone.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay I'll be the bad guy and confess to my reasons I still oppose their inclusion in bow season.

First ask yourself this; why do we have primitive weapons seasons? Any and all game management goals could be met just by using gun seasons. Want more animals killed? Lengthen the season, increase bag limits, or issue more gun tags. Want less killed then do the opposite. So what is the purpose of a particular season like muzzleloader or bow season? To me those seasons exist to promote the use of a particular weapon so that the skills associated with it will not fade from our collective consciousness. Want to be able to kill an extra deer or hunt a few extra weeks then the price of that option is to learn to use a bow or a muzzleloader. You get more hunting time and that weapons use is preserved in our society.

Now comes crossbows being dumped into bow season. Anytime you give people an easier option they will take it. Oh sure there won't be much of an immediate effect because all the older hands like myself who already have bows and know how to shoot them aren't likely to undergo the unnecessary added expense of buying a crossbow and decking it out with everything needed to make it woods ready when we already have a bow. But what about the young kids? All they want here in Alabama now is a crossbow. Why? Simple, it's easier. Why learn to shoot a bow with proper form; worry about learning to tuning a bow; fuss with over or under spined arrows; get busted trying to draw on a deer under your tree; be handicapped by a short draw length; etc, etc. Just get a crossbow. Minutes to master with no effort on your part and bow season is all yours.

It's the same dumbing down of America you see across the board. Don't demand that our kids study harder to get the national grade average up, just make the tests easier. That will get the scores up too. End result is the same right? LOL! God help us.

And in that same vein lets discuss what was at the root of the crossbow push in this country. MONEY!!! Ding! Ding! Ding!
There was no grass roots crossbow movement. No crowd of people clamoring for crossbows. Handicapped people could already use them. This will not get anyone into hunting that wasn't at least already gun hunting. It wasn't for the children. This was a push purely by crossbow companies and associated businesses that stand to profit from the inclusion of crossbows in bow season. Crossbow companies dream of selling one to every gun hunter in America and outfitters dream of being able to sell archery season hunts to thousands of gun hunters that heretofore could not master a bow. So they bribed state game commissions to open the door for them to make big profits. End of list.

If national crossbow advocates, and I've never met one that didn't stand to profit off them somehow, want a season then give them a separate one. But don't take the season that others have fought so hard for.

Last edited by Todd1700; 06-21-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

First ask yourself this; why do we have primitive weapons seasons?
A modern compound 90% plus let off, steady rest, drop away, scpe sight, shot with a trigger at 350fps plus is hardly a primitive weapon. So little to do to become hunting proficient with one that a good number using them practise no more then the average gun hunter. Fred Bear promoted their sale as the way for a gun hunter to easily become a 2 season hunter.

But don't take the season that others have fought so hard for.
That season was fought for by those shooting recurves and longbows that required a lot of work to become and stay proficient with. Not anything like the modern compound. Take the compound out of bow season or let all archery tackle in. It is just that simple.

Last edited by SteveBNy; 06-21-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

So little to do to become hunting proficient with one that a good number using them practise no more then the average gun hunter.
Compounds are still far harder to master and much closer to a recurve than a crossbow. Crossbows are ****ed all the time while hunting, can be fired from a rested position and are aimed like a gun. There is absolutely nothing about the skill needed to use or hit something with a crossbow that is even remotely similar to shooting a bow of any kind, be it recurve, longbow or compound.

And ask yourself this, if compounds are so easy then why would gun hunters need crossbows?

Fred Bear promoted their sale as the way for a gun hunter to easily become a 2 season hunter.
Did he mention crossbows? No! Wonder why? They existed in his time as well. Why didn't he promote them as a way to be a two season hunter?

That season was fought for by those shooting recurves and longbows that required a lot of work to become and stay proficient with.
The people in those traditional archery clubs and organizations that fought for and got bow seasons agree with me.

A modern compound 90% plus let off, steady rest, drop away, scpe sight, shot with a trigger at 350fps plus is hardly a primitive weapon
Same argument could be used to allow unscoped handguns into bow season. Hey, they have a similar effective range right? That's all that matters right?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

It was made legal during archery season a couple of years ago in Ky. but I have only seen two people with a crossbow and one of them was with us in camp and could have used it anyhow because of a disability. I didn't care much for the fact that they made it legal here either but it has really been unoticed in my opinion. They are kinda cumbersome to carry through the woods.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

First ask yourself this; why do we have primitive weapons seasons?
So what is the purpose of a particular season like muzzleloader or bow season?
To me those seasons exist to promote the use of a particular weapon so that the skills associated with it will not fade from our collective consciousness.
Now comes crossbows being dumped into bow season. Anytime you give people an easier option they will take it. Oh sure there won't be much of an immediate effect because all the older hands like myself who already have bows and know how to shoot them aren't likely to undergo the unnecessary added expense of buying a crossbow and decking it out with everything needed to make it woods ready when we already have a bow.
In Alabama you don't have a primitive weapons season or a bow season. You have archery, muzzle loading and general gun season. Since your season is an archery season and not a primitive weapons season or a bow season, you should have absolutely no objection what so ever to crossbows being used during this archery season.

As I already stated Alabama does not have a bow season but even if Alabama called it bow season a crossbow is in fact a "bow". If they called it a primitive weapons season you loose this argument as well because crossbows have been around since about 600B.C. which is about 2500 years before the compound bow.

Crossbows are archery equipment no matter how you want to argue it and they are far more primitive than compound bows.

But what about the young kids? All they want here in Alabama now is a crossbow. Why? Simple, it's easier. Why learn to shoot a bow with proper form; worry about learning to tuning a bow; fuss with over or under spined arrows; get busted trying to draw on a deer under your tree; be handicapped by a short draw length; etc, etc. Just get a crossbow. Minutes to master with no effort on your part and bow season is all yours.
And you know this how? Are you overseeing all of the archery sales in Alabama? How many 8 - 10 year old kids can pull back the legal minimum of 35 pounds? Should they not be allowed to hunt during the archeryseason? Why should a kid that can't muster the strength to pull 35 pounds on a compound bow not be allowed the opportunity to deer hunt? Are you that selfish to deny children the opportunity to enjoy hunting with their fathers?

It's the same dumbing down of America you see across the board. Don't demand that our kids study harder to get the national grade average up, just make the tests easier. That will get the scores up too. End result is the same right? LOL! God help us.
Wow, that statement is so ridiculously absurd that there are no appropriate words.

Perhaps, because they were able to legally hunt with a crossbow at an earlier age, the kids that got out there at that younger age became that much more proficient in their hunting, tracking, shot placement, and general woodsman skills and hunting ethics than the children that were required to wait 2-4 more years. How exactly is it a bad thing to get a child hunting and learning the woods at a younger age than he or she would have been able to with out a crossbow?

And in that same vein lets discuss what was at the root of the crossbow push in this country. MONEY!!! Ding! Ding! Ding!
There was no grass roots crossbow movement. No crowd of people clamoring for crossbows. Handicapped people could already use them. This will not get anyone into hunting that wasn't at least already gun hunting. It wasn't for the children. This was a push purely by crossbow companies and associated businesses that stand to profit from the inclusion of crossbows in bow season. Crossbow companies dream of selling one to every gun hunter in America and outfitters dream of being able to sell archery season hunts to thousands of gun hunters that heretofore could not master a bow. So they bribed state game commissions to open the door for them to make big profits. End of list.
Heaven forbid a company make a profit and at the same time introduce people to the sport of hunting. Do you honestly believe that the same wan't true of compounds "back in the day"?

If national crossbow advocates, and I've never met one that didn't stand to profit off them somehow, want a season then give them a separate one. But don't take the season that others have fought so hard for.
I didn't realize that the crossbow advocates and states game management comissions have excluded you and other non crossbow hunters from hunting in the hard faught archery seasons across the country.

Last edited by bigbulls; 06-21-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Alabama you don't have a primitive weapons season or a bow season.
Muzzleloaders and bows are commonly called primitive weapons. Sorry you weren't aware of that. But whether they technically call the season that or not is a ridiculous red herring argument and totally beside the point. My point was to explain why these seasons were established in the first place. And you didn't touch that point because it's spot on accurate.

If they called it a primitive weapons season you loose this argument as well because crossbows have been around since about 600B.C. which is about 2500 years before the compound bow.
Muzzleloaders predate compounds too. By your logic I guess we'll have them in bow season next. Another nonsense point by you.

Why should a kid that can't muster the strength to pull 35 pounds on a compound bow not be allowed the opportunity to deer hunt?
Any kid that can't yet pull back 35 lbs on a youth compound bow couldn't lift a crossbow to fire it either. Another lame duck argument.

How exactly is it a bad thing to get a child hunting and learning the woods at a younger age than he or she would have been able to with out a crossbow?
Then hell let's just put guns in archery season. I mean if the point is to get more kids out there in archery season then why fart around. Guns would get'em out there down to the age of 6. Hell a 4 year old can squeeze a 3lb rifle trigger. What? You don't agree? Child hater!!!!

But of course that isn't the point and it never was. This isn't about children. Anytime you hear somebody on the national level claim they are doing something because they just care so deeply about children, put one hand on your wallet and don't bend over, cause you are either about to be robbed or screwed. Maybe both.

Wow, that statement is so ridiculously absurd that there are no appropriate words.
Translation: "I have no comeback to the obvious truth of this statement so I will just call it a name."

Why should a kid that can't muster the strength to pull 35 pounds on a compound bow not be allowed the opportunity to deer hunt?
Why should a kid that can't yet read be denied a high school diploma?

Why should a kid that isn't old enough to see over the dash board of a car be denied a drivers license?

Why shouldn't a 5 year old be allowed to go vote with their father this coming November?

Gee, I don't know. Cause maybe there should be some things in life that require you to meet a certain minimum standard of intelligence, age, strength and maturity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.