Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

My point was clear, archery seasons started with tradition of archery. You know those guys, Pope, Young and Maurice, bear, Hill, Roy Case, Pearson. Maybe you don't know or care to know who they are. I would love to know how those guys would have felt with how thier pioneering work has paid off. Without these guys, there would have been no resurgence of archery and special archery seasons catering around prime times of the rut in the US.
Again - the tradition. The "tradition" of the compound is less then 40 years old and started for the most part after those named. Roy Case could not have possibly included the compound - it didn't come around for another 35 years.

The crossbow has been around for 2400 years plus as archery equipment - that is a tradition.

Notice I managed to post a point without calling anyone stupid, an idiot or any other name. Really was not that hard to do.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by BigLettx
He isn't disabled, he just can't keep a steady hand. He's 65 years old, old age got to him. When archery season opens up he gets a little depressed. I know he wants to be back out in the woods with me like we had done almost every year since I was 4. This year though we'll be back out and with another hunter (my sister got married and her husband hunts)
I understand that, but all he needs is for his doctor to write him a note.

I went to a shoulder doc due to a torn rotator cuff, and he offered me a note with all smiles and was shocked when I refused.

I am just saying he could have been hunting for years due to his condition. If they were going to give a note to me for small tears, they definately would for something real.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:23 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Again - the tradition. The "tradition" of the compound is less then 40 years old and started for the most part after those named. Roy Case could not have possibly included the compound - it didn't come around for another 35 years.

The crossbow has been around for 2400 years plus as archery equipment - that is a tradition.

Notice I managed to post a point without calling anyone stupid, an idiot or any other name. Really was not that hard to do.
Threads not about compounds, just you xbowers want to drag it in. Its about arrow guns.

So, let me get this straight for the record. You really believe that Roy Case, Pope and young and the others would be thrilled to see all thier efforts turn into using a modern crossbow with a scope and AR15 lower? You really believe that was thier goal? You honestly believe it wasn't to do something that took some skill but strickly to use something with a string and arrow to kill?

Old 06-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Spike

lol I suggested the same thing 2 years ago, he muffled something under his breath about when he'd use a crossbow. Guess he misses being out there too much. I live in Howard County and hunt public land mostly here and in Baltimore county. Crossbows have been legal but I haven't seen but 2 guys using them. Interested to see how many people are out there this season with crossbows.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:30 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
All you have to do is look at the tele check numbers...facts are fact. Big country I have respected many of your post on here but you are off the deep end with all the hate and name calling bud.

Also unless you are a native American then your tradition arguement holds little water. We are a gun slinging bunch by tradition.

Bow season , in Ky is about 4 1/2 months long and still it has little impact on the deer herd. We can have such a long season because it has such a small impact. Thats why we don't have an open seaon for all weapons.

The thing is some like you want to tell others that if they don't put in the time and effort you do then they shouldn't be in the woods. Not everyone wants to make it as hard as you do. That doesn't make them scum.
why native american? Folks in Northern Europe has been shooting the longbow long before native americans. They had some of the most advanced designs like the Holmgaard well over 2000 years ago. Then you have the famous ELB or English Warbow. Native Americans sure didn't have the market close to being cornered. We just got guns before they did.

Again, you got it wrong, I don't want to tell folks what to use. I want people to see the season for its humble beginnings and recongnize that. To see why the seasons began in the US and why it was so much longer than guns seasons. It was about tradition and doing something that took some skill. Read up about Roy Case from WI. Go to the WI archery association.

Its not all about wacking and stacking using the easiest way possible.

and if its not about tradition, then make it weapon of choice. At least we all won't be hypocrits. Lots of places have weapon of choice like Newfoundland. Sure hasn't hurt thier hunting numbers.

Last edited by bigcountry; 06-29-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
In the evolution of "archery" hunting the crossbow should have been legal long before the compound bow became legal. The crossbow has been around for hundreds, if not thousands, of years before the invention of the compound bow.

If it uses a "bow" and a string to propel an arrow then it is archery equipment and should be legal during archery season.

The don't call it compound bow season or long bow season. They call it archery season and a crossbow is archery equipment.

So all the naysayers can get off their high horses and welcome the new hunters that crossbow hunting will bring to the sport and help keep the old hunters that are no longer archery hunting... God knows we need them.
True
It will increase the bowhunter population and bring more to the sport.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:36 PM
bigcountry

lol I suggested the same thing 2 years ago, he muffled something under his breath about when he'd use a crossbow. Guess he misses being out there too much. I live in Howard County and hunt public land mostly here and in Baltimore county. Crossbows have been legal but I haven't seen but 2 guys using them. Interested to see how many people are out there this season with crossbows.
You know public land is what turned me away from crossbows.

I was hunting patapco park opening day. And saw two guys with xbows, spending the whole day walking up and down the fire roads flinging bolts at deer crossing. I was so freakin ticked off. And to beat it all, they never found one and ruined my hunt.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Spike

Yeah that was 2 seasons ago I think off driver road. I didn't see it but another hunter told me DNR came over one day while they were doing and told them to stop, they waited till DNR left and went back to it. DNR came back to check, saw them doing it again and took their passes away. There are stupid hunters all over in every season. Thats why I don't hunt public land during shotgun season lol.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:50 PM
bigcountry

Yeah that was 2 seasons ago I think off driver road. I didn't see it but another hunter told me DNR came over one day while they were doing and told them to stop, they waited till DNR left and went back to it. DNR came back to check, saw them doing it again and took their passes away. There are stupid hunters all over in every season. Thats why I don't hunt public land during shotgun season lol.
Wow, dead on. In fact so dead on with the time and place, I have a feeling this could be my buddy joe playing a joke on me. Wasn't only there, it was also going on at morgans run. Fortunately, the horser riders complained.

So here is a few of my experiences with drawing new folks to the archery season with crossbows.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Spike

lol I'm not your buddy Joe, and finally those horse riders did something besides ruin my hunt. I stopped hunting over by Henryton because of them. Last season I had a decent 8 come right under my stand, I stood up and pulled back and before I could get the shot off it ran. Look to my right and there was a lady with 3 dogs just riding around.

I'm not against anyone using a crossbow, except those who hunt unsafe (don't identify their target or take unethical shots). The more people we can get into this sport the better. They'll still have to learn to hunt the wind and scout things out. I have a feeling its gonna be a fad. This year we might see a few more people with crossbows but I don't see the woods being over run with crossbow maniacs. Really interested to see how this season goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.