Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads

Old 06-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
Well,for one you loose some KE deploying your mechanicals blades no matter what brand your shooting,and with a fixed blade the broadhead transfers all the KE to the animal.

And as a mechanic,I can tell you if you use mechanical blades long enough THEY WILL FAIL at some point.
I have only 1 problem with the RAGE heads that i've tried in the past to explain,and that is thier ads and rep's just seen there new ad in one of the bowhunting rags it says EXSPAND YOUR KILL ZONE!
and I don't care what broadhead you want to use NO BROADHEAD WILL EXSPAND YOUER KILL ZONE AND SHOT PLACEMENT IS YOUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY!

I'll agree I'm not a big fan of the "Expand your kill zone" but......

the loss of KE on a Rage is a non issue and who says they will fail if you use them long enough? You? other diehard fixed guys?

If you check your equipment, including your BH's, I don't see any reason why they would "fail" any more than a fixed.

As I said earlier, I used fixed for close to 20 years and broke many blades and even bent over the tip of a Muzzy but have yet to have so much as a blade break in the last 8 years of using Snypers and 2 blade Rages.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Todd1700
Like i said thats MY opinion. I couldnt care less if you use expandables, if you like them and have cofidence in them then go for it. But i just dont like them thats all.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like i said thats MY opinion. I couldnt care less if you use expandables, if you like them and have cofidence in them then go for it. But i just dont like them thats all.
And I wasn't commenting on your choice of broadheads. I don't care if you use knapped flint heads. You said there were no advantages in using an expandable head unless you couldn't tune your bow. Not only is that the worst possible reason for using one; it's just flat wrong and a sort of derogatory swipe at anyone using expandable heads.

Last edited by Todd1700; 06-07-2010 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

And as a mechanic,I can tell you if you use mechanical blades long enough THEY WILL FAIL at some point.
The funny thing I have found with reasons like this for not using a mech head is that this same argument is never used against putting a drop away rest (which seem to be universally loved) on your bow even though it is a far more complex design, has to stand up to much more repeated usage and therefore has a vastly greater chance of a mechanical failure. A mechanical head after all is just basically a simple hinge when you get right down to it. And for me it only has to function properly as a hinge once. That being the case, I like my odds. And through about 8 different designs and many deer I haven't seen one fail or fail to open. As for the latter I don't see how it could fail to open unless I glued or tied it shut. It simply defies the laws of physics.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The funny thing I have found with reasons like this for not using a mech head is that this same argument is never used against putting a drop away rest (which seem to be universally loved) on your bow even though it is a far more complex design, has to stand up to much more repeated usage and therefore has a vastly greater chance of a mechanical failure. A mechanical head after all is just basically a simple hinge when you get right down to it. And for me it only has to function properly as a hinge once. That being the case, I like my odds. And through about 8 different designs and many deer I haven't seen one fail or fail to open. As for the latter I don't see how it could fail to open unless I glued or tied it shut. It simply defies the laws of physics.
I use the same argument for drop away rest as well... I am a former mechanic, and now a mechanical engineer student(got tired of bein a mechanic so I went back to school)... I think I have my experience with dynamic operation No one here can say that a mechanical head wont fail... Its simply inevitable, and I have seen there structural integrity tested in an engineering format, with one of the top 5 archery companies world wide I had an interview with one of them and I got to see what kind of KE heads really took to deploy, and what kind of abuse a rage and other top name heads could take in test ranging from meat, to concrete blocks...

A mechanical failure is when an operation of one, or many moving parts did not operate correctly, causing an undesired result. A blade breaking off a fixed head is not a mechanical failure. It is an integrity failure certainly, but the head still performed as it was suppossed to b/c it was never able to fail in the first place b/c it is a static.

I am not a fixed head advocate, as ive stated many times I use, and will continue to use mechanical heads, but there is certainly a difference between some of your thoughts of failure and what is actual...

also, I dont care what anyone shoots You can shoot a meat cleaver for all I care, but when someone asks a question, I am going to answer it truthfully... If i only had 60#'s of KE with low momentum, I would not use or advise use of a fairly large expandable... If you do, so be it, but if you asking, ill give an opinion.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by drockw
I dont care what anyone shoots You can shoot a meat cleaver for all I care, but when someone asks a question, I am going to answer it truthfully... If i only had 60#'s of KE with low momentum, I would not use or advise use of a fairly large expandable... If you do, so be it, but if you asking, ill give an opinion.
Your truthful answers are appreciated. Straight forward answers with no bias are hard to come by anywhere...epsecially when it comes to bowhunters!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

And I wasn't commenting on your choice of broadheads. I don't care if you use knapped flint heads. You said there were no advantages in using an expandable head unless you couldn't tune your bow. Not only is that the worst possible reason for using one; it's just flat wrong and a sort of derogatory swipe at anyone using expandable heads.
Once again, thats my opinion. I dont know if you know how forums work but people sometimes ask questions and ask opinions of other people and i was just giving mine
Also like i said before if you like expandables then there is nothing wrong with that, there just not for me.

Last edited by MOhunter46; 06-07-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

why dont hunters argue about using releases they are mechanical. hell my bow is mechanical. my broadheads have yet to fail me so i can say forget all the worries about failures it just aint going to happen at least thats what i believe.

i just know my broadhead is small in diameter and large when cutting,less chance to hit a twig which really shouldnt come into play anyways. alls i can say is mechanicals work from my expirience using them. and i killed two deer using rages and ruin both heads.but they worked .ive used fixed heads and killed deer and ruin heads.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buck-i
why dont hunters argue about using releases they are mechanical. hell my bow is mechanical. my broadheads have yet to fail me so i can say forget all the worries about failures it just aint going to happen at least thats what i believe.

i just know my broadhead is small in diameter and large when cutting,less chance to hit a twig which really shouldnt come into play anyways. alls i can say is mechanicals work from my expirience using them. and i killed two deer using rages and ruin both heads.but they worked .ive used fixed heads and killed deer and ruin heads.
Ever had a release fail?!?! It sucks. Punched myself right in the mouth with both. One broke, and one I simply set too light and the hinge popped when I had it about half way back

ouch!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by drockw
Ever had a release fail?!?! It sucks. Punched myself right in the mouth with both. One broke, and one I simply set too light and the hinge popped when I had it about half way back

ouch!

Yep! It does Hurt. I don't use mechanicals anymore because for me they offer No advantage and only the chance that they might fail. I have seen and experienced failures so I'm not going there anymore.

There are way too many top notched fixed blade heads to choose from in todays market.

Good Luck with whatever you choose to hunt with.

Dan