Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads

Old 06-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Hey i dont know what the weight is then the lenght is 26" and it says gold tip on it i just use them for shooting targets.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Carbon express f15s
Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Carbon express maxiums 350 w/ carbon express f15s best setup out there
Old 06-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey i dont know what the weight is then the lenght is 26" and it says gold tip on it i just use them for shooting targets.
Assuming a Gold Tip 55/75 and with a 100 grain braodhead that arrow is only weighing in at about 375 grains total weight. At 260 fps you are generating about 56 foot pounds of KE.

I wouldn't shoot any expandable out there if I were you.

Stick with a moderate sized fixed blade like Slick Trick standard (1"cut), Thunderhead, NAP nitron, G5 montec, NAP hellrazor, etc...

Annika, it really doesn't matter to me at all what broadhead any one chooses to screw on their arrow but for you to actually try to claim that a mechanical, regardless of brand, broadhead is as durable and equally prone to breakage or failure as quality fixed blade broadheads is just plain absurd. You're gonna have to try peddle that somewhere else.

Last edited by bigbulls; 06-05-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Assuming a Gold Tip 55/75 and with a 100 grain braodhead that arrow is only weighing in at about 375 grains total weight. At 260 fps you are generating about 56 foot pounds of KE.

Stick with a moderate sized fixed blade like Slick Trick standard (1"cut), Thunderhead, NAP nitron, G5 montec, NAP hellrazor, etc...

Annika, it really doesn't matter to me at all what broadhead any one chooses to screw on their arrow but for you to actually try to claim that a mechanical, regardless of brand, broadhead is as durable and equally prone to breakage or failure as quality fixed blade broadheads is just plain absurd. You're gonna have to try peddle that somewhere else.
Great advice and post.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

At 260 fps you are generating about 56 foot pounds of KE.

On Whitetails he would be fine with a Rocket Steelhead expandable even with that level of KE. Especially the 100 gr version. But I would advise him not to use any of the really wide diameter expandables.

My friends and I have killed deer with Rocket Steelheads, Snypers, Spitfires, Grim Reapers, etc, etc. We have never had one fail in any way much less fail to open. When we have hit deer where we should they died. This group of friends and the number of deer we have killed is large enough for me to go out on a limb and say that either modern expandables are pretty dang reliable or we are, as a group, the luckiest SOB's to ever sling a stick. And if you had ever watched me play cards you would disregard that second possibility. LOL! But as a group we all know what amount of kinetic energy our bows are generating and our bows are all well tuned. A state of affairs that is IMHO not the case with many who have problems with expandables.

When expandables first came out there was a type called a Pucketts Blood Trailer. It was a weird thing that had blades that popped out when the tip was compressed on contact. It was a bad design and a serious P.O.S that often failed to open. It also launched the reputation that mech heads often didn't open. And the rep has stuck. However I do not think most of the modern types from well know companies deserve this reputation. In fact I would offer this bet to any here. We will shoot 100 expandables through cantaloupes. For every one that opens you hand me 100 dollars. For every one that fails to open I'll give you 1000 dollars. Any takers? Probably not as I would feel quite confident in taking 10,000 dollars off your hands.

As for a fixed head failing? Yep they sure can. I've trashed blades on Muzzy's which are a head legendary for toughness. I had the blades on a 100gr 4 blade Muzzy fold up like tin after hitting nothing but the ribs on both sides of a 90lb doe. She died but only after running 100 yards with virtually no blood trail. I have had two Steelforce broadheads completely shatter to pieces inside deer that thankfully I still found. I'm not trying to say that mechs are more reliable than fixed heads but in the grand scheme of things the modern ones are so close that the difference is insignificant.

Another myth of expandables is that it is the design itself that causes poor penetration for some people. The truth is that it takes very little energy to open even a fold from the front expandable. Even less energy is required for opening the rear deploying types. What makes for poor penetration is the wide cutting diameters. Very few companies, if any, make fixed heads for modern compounds that have 3 blades and are 2 inches wide. But if they did people with low powered bows would sometimes have trouble with penetration on less than perfect shots.

Last edited by Todd1700; 06-06-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:24 AM
Spike

where I hunt there is a lot of crap in the way, sometimes, so I stick to fixed blade because the is no moving parts to jam. Plus i can sharpen the blades on fixed blades easier than on expandables.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls

Man, anytime a person says that a quality mechanical can do what a fixed can do you fixed guys get your undies in bundle.

ALL I am saying is fixed can break, will break and have broken many times.

Explain to me why I have broken a few fixed heads in my day but never a Snyper or Rage mechanical? Lucky, I guess?

I'll agree that a good, quality fixed is hard to beat when it comes to durability but even those will break
Old 06-06-2010, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by annika3
Man, anytime a person says that a quality mechanical can do what a fixed can do you fixed guys get your undies in bundle.

ALL I am saying is fixed can break, will break and have broken many times.

Explain to me why I have broken a few fixed heads in my day but never a Snyper or Rage mechanical? Lucky, I guess?

I'll agree that a good, quality fixed is hard to beat when it comes to durability but even those will break
Well,for one you loose some KE deploying your mechanicals blades no matter what brand your shooting,and with a fixed blade the broadhead transfers all the KE to the animal.

And as a mechanic,I can tell you if you use mechanical blades long enough THEY WILL FAIL at some point.
I have only 1 problem with the RAGE heads that i've tried in the past to explain,and that is thier ads and rep's just seen there new ad in one of the bowhunting rags it says EXSPAND YOUR KILL ZONE!
and I don't care what broadhead you want to use NO BROADHEAD WILL EXSPAND YOUER KILL ZONE AND SHOT PLACEMENT IS YOUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY!
Old 06-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

ok thanks bigbulls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.