Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads

Old 06-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by annika3
How does a 2-blade Rage fail? Broken blades? can happen with a fixed.

The design is that it will always open.

If you check your blades and make sure there snapped into the
o-ring they will not open in flight.

What can go wrong with a Rage that can't go wrong with a fixed?
It can not open.

It can open prematurely causing erratic flight since most setups arent tuned well enough, or lack the FOC to keep an arrow straight after blades are out and moving, unless spine is dead on and they are tuned for fixed blades(usually not the case with most mechanical users)

It can not open at all.

Only one blade opens

Holding screws can break which will cause the blade to come off completely as there is a lot of force on them comparitvely on them than their is on fixed blades.

Rages are aluminum so comparing them strength wise to a steel fixed head like a slick trick is ludicrous... Ive seen quite a few rage ferrules snapped.

Anyways, we know your tied to rage b/c of the previous years of rage posts so this is really beating a dead horse...

Last edited by drockw; 06-04-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never said it would penetrate better. I said with today's bows they have more than adequate penetration needed to passthrough animals.

Dependability? Every BH can and will fail at one time or another and just because it's mechanical doesn't mean it will fail more often. I promise you the person behind the arrow will fail much more often than the BH. I shot fixed for 20 years and IMO I see Rage overall as a more dependable BH.
Possibly one of the most ridiculous statements ive ever heard on the internet...

Duh the person behind the bow will fail more times than the equipment, but what the hell does that have to do with construction and dependability??? Absolutely nothing unless you are going to keep arguing in circles and possibly pull out the "rage will still keep even on bad shots" card

And yes, being statistical, a mechanical object with a dynamic change will fail more than a static 10 to 1... You are crazy if you really believe that a fixed head will "fail" more than a mechanical???

So now to you....

What on a fixed blade can fail period??? Other than blades breaking and ferrules snapping, which is entirely material related, nothing... Its not going to open prematurely or not open at all like a mechanical can. It is a static and unless the construction is broken, it CANNOT fail.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Did I ruffle some feathers?

Drockw:

What is so ridiculous with the statement? The hunter themselves will fail more often than the BH.

Never said that a fixed will "fail" more often than a mechanical.

Your Statement:
"What on a fixed blade can fail period??? Other than blades breaking and ferrules snapping, which is entirely material related, nothing... Its not going to open prematurely or not open at all like a mechanical can. It is a static and unless the construction is broken, it CANNOT fail."

If the hunter checks his equipment a Rage will NOT open prematurely and it next to immpossible for it NOT to open on contact of the animal based off how it works (or if you can, please explain to me how it's NOT going to open based off how it works). So it really looks like the only things that can happen, blades breaking and ferrules snapping, is the same as a fixed.

Have Rage blades broken? Yes
Have Rage ferrules broken? Yes

Have Slick Tricks blades broken? Yes
Have Slick Trick Ferrules broken? Yes

I used fixed for 20 years and then switched to Snypers and now Rage and IMHO the REAR OPENING 2 blade Rage is the best head I've used including all fixed that I have used.

I guess the difference between you and me is I have used both and don't bash fixed heads because I know most of them are good heads.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe if u wouldv payed attention, u wouldve read where I said I've never had a rage failure, nor am I a fixed blade shooter.

I am simply arguing the fact that all things mechanical can and will fail. I would bet you a grand right now that there were more mehanical bh failures last season than fixed... Wanna take that bet?

Since I do extensive bh testing year round, I have had the mehanical issues pop up during testing. I've had blades come open, and had them not come open upon impact(one did and the other didn't). I have also tested them with frontal rubber bands with and without the o ring.

I NEVER said I didn't like rages, I love them. They have brought me the 5 fastest bow kills ever in the past 2 years...

But u saying that it's just as likely for both to fail is ridiculous, and anyone who has any mechanical background would agree 100%.

You say"so long as the hunter does his part" I say so what if he doesn't? What if the hunter doesn't notice the small crack in the o ring and it opens in flight. Would that have had happened to cause a miss??? Maybe. But with a fixed head there isn't even the opportunity.

You even mentioning hunters shooting capability is completely irrelevant to this argument, and it's just your way of making you and rage feel better

have fun believing that the failure opportunity is even...
Did I ruffle some feathers?

Drockw:

What is so ridiculous with the statement? The hunter themselves will fail more often than the BH.

Never said that a fixed will "fail" more often than a mechanical.

Your Statement:
"What on a fixed blade can fail period??? Other than blades breaking and ferrules snapping, which is entirely material related, nothing... Its not going to open prematurely or not open at all like a mechanical can. It is a static and unless the construction is broken, it CANNOT fail."

If the hunter checks his equipment a Rage will NOT open prematurely and it next to immpossible for it NOT to open on contact of the animal based off how it works (or if you can, please explain to me how it's NOT going to open based off how it works). So it really looks like the only things that can happen, blades breaking and ferrules snapping, is the same as a fixed.

Have Rage blades broken? Yes
Have Rage ferrules broken? Yes

Have Slick Tricks blades broken? Yes
Have Slick Trick Ferrules broken? Yes

I used fixed for 20 years and then switched to Snypers and now Rage and IMHO the REAR OPENING 2 blade Rage is the best head I've used including all fixed that I have used.

I guess the difference between you and me is I have used both and don't bash fixed heads because I know most of them are good heads.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

See that is why i want to used fixed blade bh for the hunting season this year i cant see how they can not work. but i have dont some research on the 2 blade rage and i am rele liking it so im not sure which to get?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by whitetail94
See that is why i want to used fixed blade bh for the hunting season this year i cant see how they can not work. but i have dont some research on the 2 blade rage and i am rele liking it so im not sure which to get?
How much speed do u have an what's your arrow weight?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

it shoots at 265 fps and and the arrow says +/- 2 grains
Old 06-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by drockw
Maybe if u wouldv payed attention, u wouldve read where I said I've never had a rage failure, nor am I a fixed blade shooter.

I am simply arguing the fact that all things mechanical can and will fail. I would bet you a grand right now that there were more mehanical bh failures last season than fixed... Wanna take that bet?

Since I do extensive bh testing year round, I have had the mehanical issues pop up during testing. I've had blades come open, and had them not come open upon impact(one did and the other didn't). I have also tested them with frontal rubber bands with and without the o ring.

I NEVER said I didn't like rages, I love them. They have brought me the 5 fastest bow kills ever in the past 2 years...

But u saying that it's just as likely for both to fail is ridiculous, and anyone who has any mechanical background would agree 100%.

You say"so long as the hunter does his part" I say so what if he doesn't? What if the hunter doesn't notice the small crack in the o ring and it opens in flight. Would that have had happened to cause a miss??? Maybe. But with a fixed head there isn't even the opportunity.

You even mentioning hunters shooting capability is completely irrelevant to this argument, and it's just your way of making you and rage feel better

have fun believing that the failure opportunity is even...

I don't want to continue to argue about this but would you consider blades breaking a failure?

Because over my 28years of bowhunting I have broken blades on many of fixed blades but have yet to break any on a Snyper or Rage since I switched to rear opening mechanicals.

Good luck hunting this year
Old 06-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want to continue to argue about this but would you consider blades breaking a failure?

Because over my 28years of bowhunting I have broken blades on many of fixed blades but have yet to break any on a Snyper or Rage since I switched to rear opening mechanicals.

Good luck hunting this year
No b/c that is purely structural damage, not caused or related to a mechanical operation. Merely an issue of awkward impact, along with less than par materials(not talking specifically about any head, but we all know a rock will bend steel haha). Im with you tho, as many blades get bent and broken... Alot of the reason for that tho is b/c the fixed blade head is obviously more rigid... No movement allows for less "give" which causes more stress on the head than say a rage b/c the o-ring is like a shock absorber...

out of the 5 ive killed with rages(3 with 3 blades, 2 with 2 blades) 3 have been bent to unususable. 2 3 blades and 1 2 blade were bent pretty bad(blades). The other 2 were fine but were shot through better places Im not bashing the rage or anything b/c like I said, I love the results and they have done great for me! Those are just my true results on average deer kills...

On a side not, I had a blood runner break during testing last year. The ferrul broke in a spot that kept the blades from going in and out. I WOULD consider that a mechanical failure, although it would have still went through a deer and killed it like a fixed blade... The mechanical operation of the head was no longer able to work so it was a failure...
Old 06-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by whitetail94
it shoots at 265 fps and and the arrow says +/- 2 grains
Thats not the arrow weight. What model arrow, number and length???

To figure out KE and momentum you have to know arrow weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.