HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What kind of hunting KNIFE for bowhunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/323617-what-kind-hunting-knife-bowhunting.html)

Vinny_HC 05-21-2010 05:10 PM

What kind of hunting KNIFE for bowhunting?

I am getting into bowhunting this year and plan on hunting in stand, and from ground. However I notice from rifle hunting, regular hunting knives hanging vertical don't allow you to sit since they go straight into the ground.

Two questions:

1) What kind of knife is appropriate for bowhunting (i.e. boot knife, horizontal mount knife, jack knife, etc).

2) My favorite knife for field dressing an animal is the Buck brand since they hold their edge so well. Are there any comparible knives to Buck because other I have bought don't hold an edge?

jag-mag 05-22-2010 03:18 PM

If you like buck knifes and are worried about the knife sticking
into the ground buy a buck folder with a sheath.Myself personally
always sit on a stool or bucket when hunting from the ground.

7danny 05-22-2010 03:45 PM

Use the same knife as for any hunting.

GTOHunter 05-22-2010 10:10 PM

I Rifle Hunt and Bow Hunt....my best Knife in the world to use is my folding Buck Knife Model 442 C.

A good Friend of mine gave each of the Groomsmen in His wedding a folding Buck Knife,its the best present I have ever had and I use it all the time...sorry to say His marriage didn't last but the Knifes are still going strong!

RidgeFACTOR 05-23-2010 05:30 AM

wvnimrod 05-23-2010 06:28 AM

I've used the same Buck 110 folding hunter for the last 30yrs for rifle and bowhunting and have feild dressed more deer than I can count.I have never seen a reason to have a differant knife for differant types of hunting, I do how ever have a set of knives for skinning and butchering!

Hurricanespg 05-24-2010 04:33 PM

I really like the Buck Alpha Hunter fixed blade knife. Works very well for me, but I keep it in my backpack as I do a lot of still hunting and stalking.

2 Samuel 22:35 05-24-2010 07:02 PM

The buck omni hunter is one of the best hunting knives I have seen
It holds an edge
And does not break when skinning game or chopping bone.

Vinny_HC 05-25-2010 06:20 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. Few more questions about your suggestions though:

1) Are folding knives hard to clean if used for field dressing?
2) Are all buck knife steel created equal? I used the 119 special and liked how it did not dull like my Muela knives did.

Stonewall308 05-27-2010 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35 (Post 3630015)
The buck omni hunter is one of the best hunting knives I have seen
It holds an edge
And does not break when skinning game or chopping bone.

I have several very expensive knives, but the buck omni hunter is my favorite by far - costs $40. The thing holds a good edge, and most importatly it feels like an extension of my hand. It is one of those things you have to feel to understand.

I bought an extra one just in case they ever stop making them. It is still sitting in the box unused.