Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New to the game.. >

New to the game..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to the game..

Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Spike

Default New to the game..

I am very interested in getting into bowhunting, but i have no clue what kind of bow to get. I have a few friends who bowhunt religiously every year, but i really want to get as much info as possible before i get into the sport. i want a bow that is inexpensive in case i decide that this is not for me. any advice??
Old 05-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hateraid
I am very interested in getting into bowhunting, but i have no clue what kind of bow to get. I have a few friends who bowhunt religiously every year, but i really want to get as much info as possible before i get into the sport. i want a bow that is inexpensive in case i decide that this is not for me. any advice??

Go to local archery shop and hold as many as you can. Get one that feels right. Try to shoot a few. Then practice, practice, practice.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

You are telling my exact story. Three and a half years ago I was you. I went to a local dealer and bought a Mission bow (made by Mathews). The bows were inexpensive, high quality and very forgiving. I joined a local archery league and practiced like crazy.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned, visit some local Pro Shops and shoot as many different bows as you can and a few will stand out as great feeling/shooting rigs in your hands and these are the bows you should consider..... regarrdless of what anyone else or your buddies are shooting. Buy what works for YOU.

Also, you can do a ton of research here on the web. You may also want to visit some other forums and perhaps some that have a LOT more traffic, such as Archerytalk.com for more rapid feedback.

Good luck and good shootin' and welcome to the sport!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Read, read, read and go to.....

a 3D shoot, the first year, for sure, to watch and ask questions. You get to watch form and see what's on the market, even if a lot of it is on the higher side.

Fix the cost of your possible bow early. Stick with it. Many archers, hunt, and never get into the high price market. Some become near professionals. Archers are different; realize that early.

Good luck. Becoming a first time archer is a sentence I wouldn't want to go through again.

And I forgot for the newbies. There is a cost for the new bow. But then you have to add the cost of the rest, the sight, the arrows and on. The new bow is like buying a new automobile. Then after that, you have to buy the four tires, the steering wheel, and the front windshield. It's not just a "bow."

Last edited by Valentine; 05-18-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree about going to a pro shop and handling as many bows in your price range as possible. Also, when you find one that you like (and you will be the one shooting it, nevermind what feels good to someone else) make sure that the bow fits you. If you get the correct draw length and don't over-bow yourself with a high poundage bow you will find shooting much more enjoyable. Good Luck!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Spike

thanks for all the insight!! i am looking at getting something used so i dont just throw away 400 dollars and decide the sport isnt for me. is there anything i should look out for in buying a used bow?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Hateraid
thanks for all the insight!! i am looking at getting something used so i dont just throw away 400 dollars and decide the sport isnt for me. is there anything i should look out for in buying a used bow?
If applicable, take it to a pro shop and have it checked out. If not, inspect it REALLY good. Look for any visable cracks or major dings. Inspect the string and cables good and check for fraying. Also take a cotton ball and gently rub it along the limbs. This will help check for slight cracks.

If you are willing to spend $400, check into some of new entry level bows. I have a PSE Stinger and LOVE IT!! It's fast, smooth, and quiet. Everything I wanted in a hunting bow ($300 bare bow, $400 ready to hunt). Also I shot the new Bowtech Sniper and it is a very nice bow.

Just make sure it fits you and you are confortable with it. Bow hunting is addictive...and it's fun! I think you will really enjoy it!

Keep us posted and let us know what you decide!
Old 05-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Spike

I got a mission when I started out. It was relatively inexpensive and was perfect for starting out. It's not the best bow in the world, but plenty good enough to take game with. If you decide to really get into the sport, then you can upgrade to a hoyt or matthews
Old 05-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Spike

i am really only looking at spending 100-200 dollars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.