Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Is the deer black? >

Is the deer black?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is the deer black?

Old 05-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Spike

Default Is the deer black?

I just wrapped up the spring gobbler season, and was going back to check on my perfect bowstands from the previous season and the trails that are 50% man made, and 50% deer natural seemed almost completely natural by now.

Anyway, I had set up one of my cameras facing the trail they have made that leads to my acre food plot. I pulled this film last month and still connot figure out or understand what is trailing this bachelor pack. My camera is set to take two shots, a second apart, each minute activity is close enough to activate the shutter.

I noticed something awkward, and zoomed two shots to see if anyone can help me identfy what this is that seems to congregate with this group of about 25 coeds. It appears to me as being a very dark color (not a shadow)...99% black.

Any clues, or has anyone encountered a very dark or near black deer, much less catch it on film. I admit that this upload here doesnt do it justice, but zooming in on a 25 inch monitor...its something out of the ordinary...do you see it?

Old 05-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

I have seen photos of black deer before. It's a genetic think like albisim.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

mmmmmm looking at the angle of the camera and the shape of the ears im thinking it may be a large hog????? it seems to have a short neck and you can see the base of the ears as well
Old 05-16-2010, 05:15 AM
Spike

Oz,

Given the fact that it is in VA, and in a place Ive hunted for 5 years, the thought of it being a hog doesnt seem realistic. Ive studies the pictures in various zoom levels, and angles, it appears the other deer are not afraid of it, yet welcome it as part of the group.
The thing that stands out most is the tail and ears.

I have another shot of him, but much larger distance away w/o clear markings, shapes, etc. This is the closest and clearest shots I have off the trailcam. Ive seen albinos, but never a solid black deer like this. It travels with them (according to trailcam shots) to continue to graze by their side in the food plot of sweet peas, clover, turnip, and growing corn.

Im wondering if he will survive until season, and the question of the day would be....would you target him to get out of the genetics, or simply to harvest a black deer.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:02 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ozbowhunter
mmmmmm looking at the angle of the camera and the shape of the ears im thinking it may be a large hog????? it seems to have a short neck and you can see the base of the ears as well
I thought large hog at first but the deer don't seem to be bothered by it. I would think they would try to keep their distance from a hog.

I wouldn't target it to get it out of the gene pool, but rather to get it in my freezer
Old 05-17-2010, 01:15 AM
Typical Buck

good points but i have seen back home in australia hog traveling with fallow deer and also crazing in the same area i could be wrong but i could be right as well
still has hog features
bu as to harvest i would take it for meat but if it was in the gene pool i dont see a problem
Old 05-17-2010, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

Its BIGFOOT,lol
I was thinking like ozbowhunter kinda looks like a hog,but in the second photo almost looks like a LOG !!
Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Both photos look like whatever it is its not moved much, have you made sure it's not a fallen tree or log? If not a log I'd say maybe a black deer but I doubt a hog down here if you see a hog in the woods you might as well kiss your deer hunting goodbye I've never had luck when I see hogs or coyotes.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why don't you just put your camera back where you had it and then get some more pictures to better tell you what it is or isn't. I'm sure it will be back.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Honestly it looks like a deer standing in the shade, no sunlight hitting it for the camera to get the color right like the deer in the sun.

Camera needs its subjects to be lit to take good pic. So I think it is the lack of light falling on this deer which makes it look black.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.