Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Is the deer black? >

Is the deer black?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is the deer black?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

I would have to agree with 7danny
Old 05-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Spike

Zdanny,

Not a log. I cut that trail 2 times a year, coming out of bed of thorns. I also didnt want to believe a black deer, but the ears and tail are in different positions in both pictures. This is about 10 pics I have of it but the best pictures to crop and get a half-way good look at it. Its definately not a log, and the angles of shade/sunlight are inconsistant with the terrain there, much less the deer within 2 feet of it. Im at a loss for words, as I havent ever seen a black deer, and it almost looks like a dogs tail, instead of a whitetail...but the deer would be scattered if it were a dog. I will try and do some cropping and zooming to get a better picture, but its not a hog, log, or a figment of our imagination. He shows up too often. The reason I took the camera was to reload batteries, and if you notice the slant, it was about to fall off of tree.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7danny
Honestly it looks like a deer standing in the shade, no sunlight hitting it for the camera to get the color right like the deer in the sun.

Camera needs its subjects to be lit to take good pic. So I think it is the lack of light falling on this deer which makes it look black.
i agree with this theory
Old 05-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7danny
Honestly it looks like a deer standing in the shade, no sunlight hitting it for the camera to get the color right like the deer in the sun.

Camera needs its subjects to be lit to take good pic. So I think it is the lack of light falling on this deer which makes it look black.

I agree too.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

the first picture looks like there are two black deer back there. If you look closely it looks like you can see the butt of one almost in the middle of the other "black" deer. I agree with the lighting argument...
Old 05-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Spike

I thought I would throw a few variables in here to compare to. This is the same trail where the last bunch was coming out (looks more like a darker brown than black, and in the other photo (same trail) there isnt anything resembling log

Old 05-18-2010, 02:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Looks like 2 deer standing in the shade.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

the more i look at i see a hog
Old 05-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Looks like 2 deer standing in the shade.
Go back to the first set....if thats two deer in the shade, one has obviously darker pigmentation. I have looked at the pictures (about 10) Its tail is not a deer's tail, its not a log, and shade wont darken both sides of him when he is not under the canopy. It is actually 2-3ft. outside the treeline. I just hope I get a chance to see it in person. That same bachelor group has made it a daily routine on that path, at least for the past 2 weeks. I actually bush hogged it and then mowed it to the ground, so its the only clear opening via the thornbush for 40 yrds both ways.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Are these recent pics, hope you can capture the heard again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.