Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Wonder how many archers >

Wonder how many archers

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wonder how many archers

Old 05-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jim W
At 74 yrs of age I have had 4 right shoulder rotator cuff ops followed finally by a complete right shoulder reverse replacement. I used to do the 65# plus stuff but I find (for me) the lower poundage of 53 PDF is more than adequate for pass throughs and most enjoyable for lots of backyard shooting.
My hats off to you sir 74 and still
shooting the arrow.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

I dislocated my shooting shoulder playing football, and im pulling just under 80lbs no problem.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

60 lbs for me. Don't need anything higher.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

I don't personally know anyone that has injured thier shoulder do to draw weight,but after a work mishap injured my shoulder last year I lowered my draw weight to 64# and thats where it will stay!
I do know alot of guys that would greatly improve thier shooting accuracy if they lowered there draw weight,IMO if you can't pull straight back your draw wt is to high.

Last edited by wvnimrod; 05-28-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

First of all, I don't think it should ever happen, I think that's more of my father's generation sort of manliness.

Talked my dad into a 60lb peak bow when he was looking, he could pull 70 prob or at least 65, but he's only getting older and doesn't shoot often, and 60lbs is plenty for NA game...

Personally I'd work up to whatever weight I wanted to shoot. People have to remember sitting in a cold stand for 4 or 8hrs before getting a shot, they have to pull that bow back. I saw a guy on tv say you should draw your bow once every hour to kinda keep that shoulder/arm warmed up.

Either way draw what you can, if you're in decent shape and shoot often no reason you can't really be any age drawing any reasonable weight.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default Agreed!!!!!

Originally Posted by Sniper151
I believe this happens more than most archers think. Not only age, but the weather will have a dramatic impact on the body. In the winter when your tight, one draw can do a job on cold muscles or joints.
there have been days that I wondered "can I even get this string back?" Of course I try to be tagged out by then. maxed my bow at 60 lbs, then twisted the string for another 3. Thinking about dropping it 10 lbs. now.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

I will be 69 years old in September . My Parker Phoenix is set at 70# . I don't want to hurt my shoulder so I don't have it maxed out .