Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Wonder how many archers >

Wonder how many archers

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wonder how many archers

Old 05-18-2010, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

my dad works at an archery shop and he said a lot of people are ordering 60# limbs now a days because thats all they really need with the speed of modern compounds.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Voodoo
It's not always testosterone driven fellas, there are some out there that have to shoot relatively heavy bows for very different reasons...
I agree, but it's a very small minority. There are people who hunt elephants, rhinos, hippos and such. Other than that there isn't a thing in the world that 70# won't handle.

NOW, if we keep our thoughts to the North American continent there isn't an animal walking that 55# or so won't dispatch. It's proven year in and year out by people shooting elk, moose and such with 55# recurves and longbows, which produce about the same a mount of energy as a compound drawing maybe 10# less.

High poundage might seem good, but that's only if you can draw it and then be able to control it well enough to shoot accurately-----every time.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

which should gets injured the most the drawing or the holding cause a doctor told me that the holding shoulder gets alot of abuse. been through one surgery but that was job related throwing tires all day long will do it to it .
Old 05-19-2010, 03:24 AM
Fork Horn

I injured my shoulder when I first got into archery around age 14. I wanted a higher draw weight/faster arrow and would not settle for it to be to low. Deer came in and I could not get the bow back it was probably around 30 deg out. I kept trying and ended up injuring my shoulder pretty bad. The adrenaline was running pretty good and I did not know I had injured it until later that night.

Ever since then I stay within a reasonable bow poundage for what I can handle. My shoulder has never been the same since that day and still bothers me on occasion.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:19 AM
bigcountry

It took me over 20 years to injure my shoulders. My right shoulder is hurt now. I still shoot 70lbs, but don't shoot 500 arrows a week any more.

The trad bows seem to work easier on the shoulders. I hear folks say they would like to shoot trad but have to shoot wheels due to hurt shoulders. But if they tried they would find that with a wheel bow you are holding more wieght half way thru the draw than any tradbow. And this is a critical place to hurt the shoulders. By the time I get to full draw all the weight is on my back with a longbow.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buck-i
which should gets injured the most the drawing or the holding cause a doctor told me that the holding shoulder gets alot of abuse. been through one surgery but that was job related throwing tires all day long will do it to it .
Yep. I played baseball in highschool and am right handed, but competitive archery has made my left shoulder have occassional pain.

Holding up a 9# bow for 60 perfect shots, plus 10 for practice really takes a toll on the inner shoulder.

I shoot a relatively high DW for most people who compete regularly, bu my stature really needs it. 55#'s indoors for me doesn't yield enough holding weight even with 65% letoff.

Most people are overbowed tho... Good thread
Old 05-20-2010, 03:21 AM
Spike

I'm 77 and had to go to a release a few years ago. I now shoot at about 55lbs with my Mathews but you still have to work at it.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is exactly why i only shoot 60lbs. Ive played baseball ever since i was 7 and was a pitcher. So my shoulder is completly shot. When i move it it pops and cracks and makes all kinds of weird noises. I just hope i never have to go to a x bow.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Spike

At 74 yrs of age I have had 4 right shoulder rotator cuff ops followed finally by a complete right shoulder reverse replacement. I used to do the 65# plus stuff but I find (for me) the lower poundage of 53 PDF is more than adequate for pass throughs and most enjoyable for lots of backyard shooting.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

I have one bow set at 70# and another at 62# . I am 68 years old so in the next few years , I might have to lower my draw weight . So far it hasn't been a problem .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.