Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Wonder how many archers >

Wonder how many archers

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wonder how many archers

Old 05-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wonder how many archers

injured their shoulders by going too high on the draw weight? Always wondered the age of the archer, when he reduced the draw weight to save his shoulder(s).
Old 05-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Often thought of lowering mine, really don't need it so high. But as long as I can still pull it back I guess.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe this happens more than most archers think. Not only age, but the weather will have a dramatic impact on the body. In the winter when your tight, one draw can do a job on cold muscles or joints.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The amount of injuries is probably a lot more than most people will admit to. That's especially true for men who have this problem with testosterone. And how many are in total denial of their real capabilities?

Typical is the statement, "I can draw 70# all day long". My answer? Sure you can and when was the last time you did so with the lst shot being as accurately shot as the first? I'm not talking about a measley 30 arrow 3D course either. How about a 100 arrow practice session or a 112 arrow field course where accuracy is all that matters.

So what do these things have to do with hunting? A lot really. It builds muscle memory and promotes good shooting form if you're dedicated enough. Sniper said a good thing to think about. When cold and stiff it's harder to draw a bow. Shoot the maximum poundage you can ahndle and it may tear some muscles loose. Make it easy on yourself.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I can relate to this. When I was in my early thirties, I saw this video by Dan Fitzgerald. He was shooting a bow at 85#. I thought, well if he's doing that then that's what I should be doing. So I set my bow at 85#, and remember, let-off was a lot less then, and that's where I shot for several years. Now at age 55, I am paying the price. I have constant shoulder pain and must be very careful in everything I do. I'm shooting a more reasonable 65# now and it's plenty. One more testosterone inspired thing I did in my thirties. My local shop had a bow that they had special ordered for someone set at 100#. One day I was there with my brother-in-laws and we decided to try to pull it. Neither one of them could do it. Well, I, who had been shooting 85#, grabbed it and pulled it with seemingly ease. I put it back and said; "that was nothing, what's wrong with you guys." What I didn't tell them was it felt like it ripped my shoulder from it's socket and honestly, I couldn't lift my arm for the next few days and I had pain for probably two weeks. Oh the joy of high testosterone.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 05-16-2010, 06:02 AM
Spike

It's not always testosterone driven fellas, there are some out there that have to shoot relatively heavy bows for very different reasons...

Last edited by Voodoo; 05-16-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

When I first started bowhunting, about 8 years ago I was shooting 72# and I wasn't no spring chicken then. I would practice no problem, shot my first deer about second week of oct
no problem. Sitting in my stand late dec afternoon a buck came in and yes I was excited, brought the bow up started to draw
and the string only moved about a inch. I panicked and kind
of yanked on the string, bullcrap I almost had the bow over my
head and was yanking on it hard. The buck ran off of course
and I have been shooting 60# ever since that day and when
I cant pull 60# smooth in cold weather I will go down to 50
than 40 and so on and so fourth.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I draw what feels easy to me. I have to be able to pull to full draw easily without any excess movement, for me that is straight back (no pointing the bow in the air). After all it's about killing a deer not about speed or seeing how much I can pull. I shoot all year to stay strong, for me 68lbs pulls like butter and I can hold it for 3 mins on the clock.

Don't worry about the draw weight, it is what it is, for you to hunt.

Last edited by LKNCHOPPERS; 05-19-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

i had mine at 65, having wieghtlifted i thought no problem. soon enough though it was totrue to shoot 100 shoots. so i put it down 60, much better. You dont need a bow past 60 really.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've actually never known a guy that injured his shoulder directly due to his draw weight.

However, I do kow many, many shooters that have lightened up their poundage over the years. I myself have went from the 70# I shot for decades down to a silky smooth 63# these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.