Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoudn't Do

Old 05-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default Shoudn't Do

What is it that you do when bowhunting that you know
you shoudn't do or wish you wouldn't do? Myself I have a couple of things I shoudn't do 1. I shoot does when I probably shouldn'nt [ have friends that can use the meat] 2.Don't always
use my scent control plan[ in a hurry] how about yourself.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

i shouldnt sleep in, since ive never killed a big buck in my bedroom.

i shouldnt stare off into space while yet another big buck is sneaking past my treestand.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

1. Approach a stand along a field edge from the open field. No other access point available.
  2. Drink coffee on morning hunts in my stand
  3. Get to my stand later than I would like on morning hunts.
  4. Get out of my stand too early on evening hunts. Been busted at the bottom of my tree too many times. I should sit past dark for a good 20-30min and then sneak out.
Edit: 5. Surf the web on my Blackberry to keep my mind active on longer sits.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jag-mag
What is it that you do when bowhunting that you know
you shoudn't do or wish you wouldn't do? Myself I have a couple of things I shoudn't do 1. I shoot does when I probably shouldn'nt [ have friends that can use the meat] 2.Don't always
use my scent control plan[ in a hurry]
how about yourself.
cRUD..DEF GUILTY...

MAN I KNOW ITS BAD WHEN I DO SOME THINGS, BUT IT HAS BEEN BENEFICIAL, OR SHOULD I JUS SAY SUCCESSFUL BEFORE.
LIKE ANY OTHER SPORT, IT REALLY DOES WORK OUT WHEN YA DO GET EVERY THING IN ORDER, AND MAKE A HABIT OUTTA IT
Old 05-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

1)Not wake up for morning hunts.
-Im not a morning person, and I hunt on the river so the warm bed is really tempting when thinking about going 30mph down the river at 5am when its 40 degrees...
2)Play on my iPhone.
-Sometimes it takes away from the experience, and im sure at least once that a deer has crept buy in the outer limits of bowrange.
3)Take cat naps in the stand.
-Again, im not a morning person. Coffee only works for a little bit, and I dont get much sleep anyways b/c im a night owl(work 2nd shift).

Id say thats about it. Im a procrastinator in the mornings as well so usually im a bit late.....

As far as technical hunting and being in the stand, I feel like I do everything pretty much right most of the time... Sometimes you cant plan for wind shift etc, but I try to prepare the best I can and hunt the spots that will be the best...
Old 05-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am definitely guilty of taking cat naps
Old 05-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Shouldn't stay out hunting so long, that's what wife will say for me. LOL
Old 05-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Falling asleep when in my treestand. I get in my stand long before the sun comes up and often it's a little chilly. When the sun comes up and the warm rays hit me in the face it's like a good massage. Hard to keep alert and awake.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to over analyze things a lot. I over think the situation and sometimes I get impatient and don't give my stands a good fair shake. I am also a compulsive shooting lane a brush cutter. I'll spend all this time sneaking in and trying to keep my scent signature down... just to turn around and start sawing down trees and crap just before climbing up to hunt! I don't make no sense sometimes.

I've never had much luck at all deer hunting in the morning... so I tend to sleep in, eat a nice breakfast and if its an off day I'll hit the woods around 10am and sit til dark or get up to stretch or move around 1-2pm.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

I move way too much when on stand. The older I get the worse I get.

Spudrow from MO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.