Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Thoughts

Old 05-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default First Thoughts

What were your thoughts when you took your first big game
animal with a arrow? Mine was amassment at how fast the
animal died and the short distance it traveled after the arrow went through her. One thing for sure I was hooked on bowhunting for life, I passed this down to two of my sons and I
know they are hooked also.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Spike

Thumbs up

Boy, I felt like jumping down from that tree stand 20 feet in the air. After seeing it done on TV over and over and then doing it myself, I was on top of the world. Best yet, the young buck died in full view only about 30 yards from where I smacked him.....like you I was hooked. That was 10 years ago when I still lived in Southern WI, now I'm chasing bigger game here in WY, and I think my addiction has only progressed to chronic levels. Picking up my new Destroyer tomorrow and I can't wait to get my hands on it!
Old 05-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first bow kill was a mule deer buck my wife & I watched him run about 40-yards after the shot and fall over dead in plain sight. I was hooked on bow hunting after that moment.
My wife bought a bow shortly after that happend. Her first bow kill was a Pope & Young Whitetail buck. Her buck ran about 50-yards and died in plain sight.
My wife is a better shot with her bow than most men are. I do not even like to shoot with her.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

I had to pick out a young doe out of a herd of maybe 30 red deer and it felt like an eternity at full draw before I was satisfied with the shot I was about to place. I hit her a little back but she went 60yards over a hill and I heard her crash down. I was so pumped I couldn't manage to blow the horn in order to let the others know I had a kill and a doe down....
safe to say the bug bit me and now I can't wait to get go hunt again......

F.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first thought was " Holy crap I'm pretty sure that I hit him" and then in a few seconds I heard a loud crash and I was sure that he was dead. Once my buddy and I found him just 50-60 yards from where I shot him, following one of the best bloodtrails that to this date I've seen, we discover that I had hit the young buck right in the side of the head and the arrow had exited out his neck cutting all of the arteries on it's way through.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Site Buck Guru

My first thought was.......... "Holy crap! I can't wait to do this again!"
Old 05-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still waiting , let you know when it happens . what I lack in experience , I make up for in enthusiasm
Old 05-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

After I made a good double lung shot, I couldn't wait to get out of the stand and get my hands on him. That 15 minute wait before looking killed me. I had called my dad knowing he would tell me to "give him some time before going after him". My first bow kill was 10x the rewarding experience of all the deer I've taken with a rifle combined. It still gets me amped up thinking about it, hurry up archery season!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GregH
My first thought was.......... "Holy crap! I can't wait to do this again!"
Same here Greg!! Even after 40 plus years Bowhunting and over xxx animals tagged with a bow.

I Love it!!

Dan
Old 05-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Boy, that shotgun's never going to see the woods again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.