Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Thoughts

Old 05-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that was awesome. I can not wait to get to the camp an tell somebody. No cell phones then.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

It took me 4 years to shoot my 1st deer. It was a beautiful 4 pointer. A 25 yard shot. I remember thinking to myself "Wow, I hit him good...It ran 40 yards and crashed down dead. Then thought to myself..."Damn, I actually did it"!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
After I made a good double lung shot, I couldn't wait to get out of the stand and get my hands on him. That 15 minute wait before looking killed me. I had called my dad knowing he would tell me to "give him some time before going after him". My first bow kill was 10x the rewarding experience of all the deer I've taken with a rifle combined. It still gets me amped up thinking about it, hurry up archery season!
and

Originally Posted by Madjac20
Boy, that shotgun's never going to see the woods again.
Very similar to my feelings..... After the first year I arrowed a deer, that was the last season I took to the woods with a shotgun in my hands, from there out, I was strictly a bowhunter, because I found more enjoyment and challenge killing them with a bow.

My first THWACK was a magical moment, captured in my mind in an almost surreal dream. It was just a nice meaty doe, but she came in and browsed around made it to about 20yds. from the base of my tree and I drew that bow back, the breathing very hastened, my heart pounding as if it were going to come right through my sternum, I settled that pin, took one deep settling breathe and put my finger on the trigger of that release, and gently squeezed, and ..........."THHHHHWWAAACK!!!!" , could be heard in that little hollow. She bolted about 45-50yds away and fell dead, a perfectly placed arrow through both of her lungs incapacitating her almost immediately, and then the RUSH of emotions.......WOW, THANK GOD, WOW, THAT was the MOST AMAZING KILL EVER!!! I didn't climb down from the tree, I "ascended" as if I'd been flying, walked across the forest floor and stood before the "prize" that the hunting gods had blessed me with that evening. From that day forward, I wasn't only hooked on bowhunting, but I was a changed person. And addicted person, a person that yearned for the time of year when the air got crisp and the leaves started to fill the forest with colors that only meant the winter was fast approaching.

I find that each year when another bow season comes to a close, I feel a bit of sadness, even a mild depression as it will be 7-8months before I can again head to my favorite spots and attempt to arrow the bounty that our good GOD has placed here for us.