Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rage Broadheads? >

Rage Broadheads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage Broadheads?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by drockw
LEt me rephrase please...

"But your chances of getting a pass through are 1 out of 10 if you dont know how to build a hunting arrow that will maximize penetration"

Ive got 6 kills under my belt now with rage 2 and 3 blades, and only 1 was not a full pass through.

If you dont have the automatic benefit of higher KE(by shooting a higher poundage, or longer drawlength), then you should be using a much heavier arrow than most people tend to like to do. Since we are stuck on speed, everyone wants a roughly 400gr arrow for hunting... This is ok if you have ample energy, but when you are borderline, there is no sense in shooting that light of an arrow. Heavier will be more useful most of the time anyways as it will make the bow quieter, more efficient(at transfering its potential energy), and tuning is typically MUCH easier.

I bet your presumed 1 out of 10 number would double if everyone shot a 500gr arrow Id almost bet money on it
Thanks sorry if i came off as a h8er of rage.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
60 yards is actually fine,
I in no way ment that as an insult,just an example.
My point is although you had an awsome bloodtrail the deer was recovered no sooner than with any other broadhead(ie.your last 2 deer)one went 60yards(rage)the other 45yards(i guess from your first post a muzzy or thunderhead)
I just think that alot of newbee's to bowhunting can and will get sucked in by all the Hype on the Rage and think they will make up for lack of shot placement(practice)the rage is a decent broadhead if your bow has enough KE to use them and you make good shot placement,just as with any other broadhead.
And yes Annika3 I do know how far a deer will travel after a perfect shot,and thats my point the Rage although it may or maynot leave a good bloodtrail it WILL not bring down a deer any sooner than any other GOOD broadhead.But with all the Hype you hear about them you would think they killed like a rifle,they DO NOT!
Ill say most of your post is spot on, but I wouldn't agree that the potential for a quicker kill isn't there... 1.5" 3blade vs 1" is quite a bit more damage ya know. Like I said I agree with your post, but a bigger hole has to mean something some of the time

and yeah, the advertising to the inexperienced is what makes most people dislike rage. I'd agree with that.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

60 yards is actually fine,
I in no way ment that as an insult,just an example.
My point is although you had an awsome bloodtrail the deer was recovered no sooner than with any other broadhead(ie.your last 2 deer)one went 60yards(rage)the other 45yards(i guess from your first post a muzzy or thunderhead)
I just think that alot of newbee's to bowhunting can and will get sucked in by all the Hype on the Rage and think they will make up for lack of shot placement(practice)the rage is a decent broadhead if your bow has enough KE to use them and you make good shot placement,just as with any other broadhead.
And yes Annika3 I do know how far a deer will travel after a perfect shot,and thats my point the Rage although it may or maynot leave a good bloodtrail it WILL not bring down a deer any sooner than any other GOOD broadhead.But with all the Hype you hear about them you would think they killed like a rifle,they DO NOT!
I don't think you do or you certainly mispoke because you stated that I wouldn't call a 60 yard tracking job a perfect shot!

Have you ever used the Rage?

because I have used it the last few years and ON AVERAGE they do put down deer quicker compared to when I used a 1 1/8" fixed.

Also, my bloodtrails have been much better since I started using Rage with some of the same shot placements I had with my fixed but I do understand that EVERY shot will bring different bloodtrails even when you think you made a perfect shot.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Not trying to bash you or Rage,but I wouldn't call a 60 yard tracking job a perfect shot! I have had terrible shots that hit the femoral artery that dumped that kinda blood trail and less than 15 yards,but I wouldn't start recommending that you start aiming at a deers ass!
I agree that RAGE broadheads make a heck of a hole,but so will my
.300win mag. I too like and strive for a short blood trail but with a well placed shot,you will achieve both!

I would bet that you don't have too many deer falling dead at 15, unless you spine them. I have shot hundreds of deer and only have had maybe 2 falls that close with a bow. Yes your 300 hundred may do it, but I would highly doubt your bow will do it... I am sure everyone on this page would love for all their deer to be 60 yards from where they shot it with a bow... My point was that the RAGE left a huge hole and I would take the hole of a Rage to a Thunderhead or Mussy. Yes whatever you shoot them with, with the right shot will work. I was just saying that the Rage, in my opinion, and mine only, would leave more of a blood trail if both shots hit the same spot.. This is only MY experience. Not trying to bash you neither...
I don't know if you understood me.. I had no tracking job, the blood trail started where I shot the deer and just walked 60 yards to the deer. Where I shot the deer there was blood everywhere....
Old 05-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did shoot a yearling last year tht went a ranged 9 yd from where I hit her. Went through one shoulder double lung. It was insane. I thought I spined her bc she dropped and died so quickly.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

i havent used a fixed blade in years,tried a couple different mechanicals even a cheap allen head it worked just like my vortex did. but i have the most confidence in my vortex heads even after trying a rage three blade.

blood trails are great especially if the exit wound is lower .

the only disadvantage in mechanicals i see would be if the arrow is inside the body. the fixed heads would tear up more than the mechanicals because my heads mostly need forward motion to stay open and cut because they do not lock back.

so it might not do as much damage and the arrow might come out easier because the blades do close back up, giving that never did open look or head failure as some claim.

all in all i love my mechanicals they do great and not one issue after many years and deer. hey we all like different things and have different results with the same products.

the quickest iseen a deer go down not spined either and die,i was using a cut on contact head it jumped took three or so quick steps staggered and fell and was dead.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buck-i
i havent used a fixed blade in years,tried a couple different mechanicals even a cheap allen head it worked just like my vortex did. but i have the most confidence in my vortex heads even after trying a rage three blade.

blood trails are great especially if the exit wound is lower .

the only disadvantage in mechanicals i see would be if the arrow is inside the body. the fixed heads would tear up more than the mechanicals because my heads mostly need forward motion to stay open and cut because they do not lock back.

so it might not do as much damage and the arrow might come out easier because the blades do close back up, giving that never did open look or head failure as some claim.

all in all i love my mechanicals they do great and not one issue after many years and deer. hey we all like different things and have different results with the same products.

the quickest iseen a deer go down not spined either and die,i was using a cut on contact head it jumped took three or so quick steps staggered and fell and was dead.
Nice post, and I agree, being inside is a certain disadvantage, although even a mechanical is working while its inside, just not cutting as well

The one deer I didnt get a pass through on with a rage I shot in the shoulder. I was trying a light arrow setup out with the rage 3 blade... although it had ample KE, it did not have enough momentum to continue to carry itself through the otherside(it was sticking through the opposite side of the rib cage, but it did not break through the hide).

She had virtually zero blood, but went down in 40ish yards... Her vitals were destroyed obviously by the head, and no more destruction was needed

So with that one occurrence, I learned my lesson and will never use really light arrows again(they were in the low 300gr realm. apprx 325ish out of a 60# bow).
Old 05-19-2010, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I notice the the Rage advertising always touts about great penetration, even show a penetration test where the 2 blade Rage penetrates the target more than a fixed blade, BUT then Rage turns around and blows thier horn about great big entry holes.......but what about great big exit holes.......oh yeah.. I forgot, the fact is that making a huge 2" hole there's practically no way the Rage will penetrate deeper than a 1" fixed head....just can't happen....even though they say so...
Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've knocked 3 deer down with rage 2 blade with nothing but praise. I've seen a dozen others also meet there demise to the head. Ya they may come open in quiver pay attention lock the blades back down. Best head on the market. Only other mech i'd trust is a spitfire.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:29 AM
Typical Buck

i'm not going to say that one brand is better than another. i'm sure some give you better odds of a kill than another especially on "bad" shots. imo they all will work if placed right. and this is my main point here-SHOT PLACEMENT!!!!! alot of people are getting caught up on how big a hole it makes/leaves. while it can help i think we need to get our focus back on shot placement. a right placed shot = a dead deer every time, even with a field point. and as for the blood trail-yes alot of blood makes it easy to find. with little blood it is harder to find, with the right shot placement, you know it's dead and out there. it will probably take longer to find but you will find it if you don't give up(whether trailing hard to see blood spots or grid searching) and it will make you become a better blood trailer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.