HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Rage Broadheads? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/322547-rage-broadheads.html)

drockw 05-05-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35 (Post 3622511)
This is a very old, old ,old topic.
Bottom line-Rage has good entry hole size but your chances of getting a pass through are 1 out of 10.
Go with a cheaper broad head that will pass through something like muzzy or slick trick will do the same and even a better job with killing deer.
Even thought they are only about 1 1/8 inch in diameter you will almost always get a pass through.
Hope that helps.

LEt me rephrase please...

"But your chances of getting a pass through are 1 out of 10 if you dont know how to build a hunting arrow that will maximize penetration"

Ive got 6 kills under my belt now with rage 2 and 3 blades, and only 1 was not a full pass through.

If you dont have the automatic benefit of higher KE(by shooting a higher poundage, or longer drawlength), then you should be using a much heavier arrow than most people tend to like to do. Since we are stuck on speed, everyone wants a roughly 400gr arrow for hunting... This is ok if you have ample energy, but when you are borderline, there is no sense in shooting that light of an arrow. Heavier will be more useful most of the time anyways as it will make the bow quieter, more efficient(at transfering its potential energy), and tuning is typically MUCH easier.

I bet your presumed 1 out of 10 number would double if everyone shot a 500gr arrow;) Id almost bet money on it

4evrhtn 05-05-2010 01:12 PM

Here are the results of a poll I posted last year prior to the archery season. I asked which type of broadhead do you prefer. Here are the results. It is evident that the fixed blade broadhead has proven itself to be the preferred broadhead. Why? Because they work and always have and in spite of the new perceived "mechanical advantage", Most hunters stick with what they have confidence in and have always killed game with.

Solid one-piece fixed blade- needs resharpening
16 10.74%
Replaceable razor style fixed blade
80 53.69%
Rear opening mechanical
38 25.50%
Forward opening mechanical
15 10.07%

Voters: 149. This poll is closed

RidgeFACTOR 05-05-2010 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35 (Post 3622511)
This is a very old, old ,old topic.
Bottom line-Rage has good entry hole size but your chances of getting a pass through are 1 out of 10.
Hope that helps.

Wrong, more like 6 out of 10. Sure it depends on arrow placement but these heads are good enough for way more than 1 out of 10 pass-thru's.

drockw 05-05-2010 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn (Post 3622672)
Here are the results of a poll I posted last year prior to the archery season. I asked which type of broadhead do you prefer. Here are the results. It is evident that the fixed blade broadhead has proven itself to be the preferred broadhead. Why? Because they work and always have and in spite of the new perceived "mechanical advantage", Most hunters stick with what they have confidence in and have always killed game with.

Solid one-piece fixed blade- needs resharpening
16 10.74%
Replaceable razor style fixed blade
80 53.69%
Rear opening mechanical
38 25.50%
Forward opening mechanical
15 10.07%

Voters: 149. This poll is closed

The problem with a silly internet poll is simply this... Most people will vote for what they are currently using, regardless of if they have ever used the other... Give everyone a pack of rages, and everyone a pack of muzzy's, and then make a poll.

Just saying...

DeerandbearhoG 05-05-2010 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by HoytUltratec (Post 3620477)
I dont think an arrow passing completly through the animal is always a plus some times i think its best when the arrow is stuck and everytime that deer its a tree or branch that broad head tears causing more damage and a better blood trail.

I would have to disagree here. A 1'' hole through the lungs will do all the damage necessary to recover a deer within 100yds or less, from the site of impact, you dont need to turn the vitals into hamburger. A non pass through will only do alot of damage if it goes in just the right depth, it will also very likely come back out rather than stay inside the deer. The biggest problem w/ a non pass through is that you will almost always get less blood on the ground , especially if the shot hits high on sharp angles. IMO a pass though is always better than an arrow sticking in the deer.

4evrhtn 05-06-2010 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by drockw (Post 3622801)
The problem with a silly internet poll is simply this... Most people will vote for what they are currently using, regardless of if they have ever used the other... Give everyone a pack of rages, and everyone a pack of muzzy's, and then make a poll.

Just saying...

The poll asked "Which broadhead do you prefer?"
I have used all the above including Rages and I have found G5 Strikers to be by far more reliable and hassle-free. Therefore I use replaceable razor fixed heads. Why would anyone use a broadhead they feel is inferior to another. Exactly what are you "just saying"? Whether they have used another type in the past is irrelevant to the poll. The question asked is what do you prefer. And if that type is preferred it shows what the majority of hunters trust. Nothing silly about it.

drockw 05-06-2010 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn (Post 3622863)
I have used all the above including Rages and I have found G5 Strikers to be by far more reliable and hassle-free. Therefore I use replaceable razor fixed heads. Why would anyone use a broadhead they feel is inferior to another. Exactly what are you "just saying"? Whether they have used another type in the past is irrelevant to the poll. The question asked is what do you prefer. And if that type is preferred it shows what the majority of hunters trust. Nothing silly about it.

Its simply biased because of the fact that not everyone has ever even owned or used all of the types... Yes, you said "prefer" but that doesnt mean diddley squat considering most people will obviously put what they are using regardless... The poll shows nothing more than what most people are likely to be using, thus not a good measure at determining what really works the best.

thats great that you like the strikers! I wasnt saying anything bad about any head or choice of another archer either tho.

Most polls are skewed in the direction of what people are currently using, which is likely a fad, or is something that will not be the leader of the polls in years ahead. Obviously, the poll you asked about was going to result in fixed blade razor heads winning. Not because its a fad, but its pretty much a given. More people have them, and have used them forever... You can get a pack of bh's at wally world for 10$, but a pack of rear deploying mechanicals.... not gonna be cheap, which means they are less accessible to the community b/c of price etc.

Anyways, if I offended you by critiquing your poll, I apologize.... Polls are fun, and sometimes useful...

drockw 05-06-2010 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn (Post 3622863)

How can that not be biased if everyone does not have experience with both??? Preference is one thing, but like I said, how many guys do you think voted one way or the other that hadnt used both??? And i'd be willing to bet that the winning side had less users of both:s12:

drockw 05-06-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG (Post 3622818)
I would have to disagree here. A 1'' hole through the lungs will do all the damage necessary to recover a deer within 100yds or less, from the site of impact, you dont need to turn the vitals into hamburger. A non pass through will only do alot of damage if it goes in just the right depth, it will also very likely come back out rather than stay inside the deer. The biggest problem w/ a non pass through is that you will almost always get less blood on the ground , especially if the shot hits high on sharp angles. IMO a pass though is always better than an arrow sticking in the deer.

I have to agree with you on that account. A broadhead chewing up the insides is GREAT dont get me wrong, but when the deer runs into a thicket and dies without a blood trail, things can get really really tough... Even if both deer went 100 yds and ran the exact same route and died in the same spot, the deer with the pass through is going to at least be easier to find.

ozbowhunter 05-06-2010 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by drockw (Post 3622801)

Just saying...

give me a pack of rage and you will find them in the bin to much hype makes me uninterested