Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent sticks

Old 06-23-2003, 10:27 AM

Default scent sticks

has anyone ever use scent stink ,like deer sense or tink with positive results? i used them when i lived in nj but here in pa they just didn' t seem to work ,the year before last , when i had them out and burning the deer didn' t show any intrest in the smell and in the past they usually would go check it out, i guess deer really are different from one another.

Old 06-23-2003, 10:35 AM

Default RE: scent sticks

I recall reading some articles on them that claimed great results, though I have never used them. I probably wouldn' t use them as they are a little obtrusive for the areas I hunt.

I personally can' t see smoke drawing in a mature buck....But I have seen stranger things
Old 06-23-2003, 01:04 PM

I tried them this year hear in west virginia, but never saw a single deer while I had them out. I find some things just don' t work as good here the same way they do everywhere else. It may be the tough, mountianous terrain. I had this idea that if i got down in the bottoms along a good trail running up hill, and lit them, that the scent would rise up the mountian trail nd bring one in, but I was wrong. Of course though, last years rut was all out of wack. They weren' t responding much to anything!!
Old 06-23-2003, 03:33 PM

I didn' t have any luck last year with any lures. Tried the scent sticks, Deer blew on it and left. Tried bow hunters setup, Deer blew on it and left. Tried tinks, wildlife research, and code blue. either they ingnored it all toghter or blew and left..

Didn' t use any scent. Deer came under the tree and got whacked.

I still don' t know why the scent didn' t work last year????

Old 06-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the doe in heat sticks during the rut and found out they will work.I' ll try them again next year.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

A friend gave me a rutrageous to try out. It broke in half so I used it two days in a row. He warned me to only use it during the rut. So I waited until then. First morning 3 does came in and ate all around it. Then I hear a soft grunt from my left I look over to see a nice eight point checking them out from a distance.
The doe that was by herself put her rear legs together and began to pee all over herself sing out " come and get it!!" " that was all the eight pointer needed to hear and he came running in to get some. He charged and they all ran outta sight.

Next day, foggy morning, I lit one in the middle of a pipeline stand and out of no where steps another eight with a 16" spread. Guess how I know what he measured!!
Old 06-25-2003, 05:56 AM

If you want something that has me sold on it try Hawgs Synthetics scents. We are currently using them (putting out new scrapes) and to my amazement just like I was told the deer are tearing them up. You can check out a few trail pics we have of deer this year hitting the scrapes. I know this sound crazy and it has gone against what I have thought all my life, but hey it is had to dispute what we are seeing. We will be doing some videoing over these sites this coming year and hope to get a few on film over the Hawgs sites.