HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Pendulum sight? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/321737-pendulum-sight.html)

luckyshot 04-17-2010 01:33 PM

Pendulum sight?

does anyone use a pendulum sight? what kind and what has been your experience? I'm thinking of trying one in preparation for this years hunting season. Do they work on any bow or is it just for the fastest of bows? It seems like a great thing for the tree stand. Thanks in advance

redmag 04-17-2010 02:48 PM

I have used the Savage pendulum for quite a few years now and they are great but try to setup on fairly level ground. They work on all bows but probably are more of an asset on the slower bows. JMO.

Jim

wvnimrod 04-17-2010 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by redmag (Post 3614058)
I have used the Savage pendulum for quite a few years now and they are great but try to setup on fairly level ground. They work on all bows but probably are more of an asset on the slower bows. JMO.

Jim

I agree,they worked OK on the slower bows but with todays faster bows IMO they are not of much use.
Unless your huning very steep terrain or shooting at very steep angles they aren't of much use.
Shooting the average bow from a treestand that is 15-20 feet high and at a target out at 20 yrds the line of sight distance and the actual distance is only going to be 1-2yrds differance,and JMO but with most of todays bows + or - 1-2 yrds isn't going to change your pin choice.
There kinda like the angle comp. rangefinders,unless your hunting very steep terrain or well over 20 feet high, IMO they are not of much use.
And the main draw back they seamed to have had even on the slower bows I herd of from guys who used them was that when you were on level ground they were not very accurate

yz426 04-19-2010 08:02 PM

I have a vital gear pendulum, i believe its called the camelback. I will say this, its the best thing i have done to my bow. I hunt out of a treestand mostly and i dont think i will ever get rid of this sight!

PastorJim08 04-20-2010 02:15 AM

I have shot a pendulum sight for over 20yrs and love it. Most of that time it was a Keller but recently I bought a Trophy Ridge Mantis with v-drive, no longer made but available on ebay, and I like it even better. The advantages of the trophy ridge are more adjustment when you are shooting on the ground. I don't think there is anything better when shooting from an elevated stand than a pendulum, just aim and shoot, just like shooting a .22.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

IL-Cornfed 04-20-2010 06:42 PM

The popularity of Pendulum sights isn't even a 1/10 of what it used to be. 15 year ago it seemed that every whitetail stand hunter had and used a pendulum sight. These days, with arrow speeds and equipment vastly superior to those of yesterday, they just aren't needed.... as you will find out.

stikbow26 04-23-2010 08:34 AM

Same as yz426 my buddy use's the Vital Bow Gear pendilum and loved it so much I bought my daughter one and she loves it to death. It is so easy to sight in. It took us all of about 5 minutes to set it up she is shooting a Hoyt at 42 lbs and my buddy is shooting a Elite Z28 at about 285 FPS and it works great.. Walt

Quinnerdog 04-23-2010 08:42 AM

I just bought a Summit Hot Dot Plus red dot sight which gives the option to switch between pendulum mode, or fixed sight mode. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know what I think once I shoot it.