Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whitetail Hunt

Old 04-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Spike

Default Whitetail Hunt

I'm thinking about going hunting in Indiana this year... Any suggestions where to go? I'm thinking Pigeon River so far.

Any info would be nice
Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pigeon River is my old stomping grounds. I grew up in Auburn, which is in Dekalb Co. There are a bunch of deer at Pigeon River, but they are high pressure deer. Be prepared for a bunch of people (weekend warrior types), so getting as far away from parking locations is required.

If you do end up hunting there, check out J section. It is one of the thicker sections with not a lot of field edge. Most of the weekend warriors tend to shy away from it, but that is exactly where the deer go when the pressure start getting to them. There is also a fairly big (very thick and nasty) swamp in J section that I have hunted in the past with very good results. It is a pretty good walk and getting a deer out by hand is a job, but worth it IMO.

I am assuming that public ground is you only option? Noble County (just west) has some amazing hunting.

Good luck
Old 04-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

are you doing a guided hunt through an outfitter or just hitting up a new area on your own?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Spike

Default Indiana

I am just going out on my own. Hittin up some state land..