Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Controlling yourself at that moment >

Controlling yourself at that moment

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Controlling yourself at that moment

Old 04-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bailsuk
Steve , thats a fair answer and I suppose I will only know when it comes to that moment

Frank , at least I know how you react

Sam and Ryan , that's a real honest account and kinda get the feeling my reaction will be somewhere along the same lines .

Don't get me wrong , I'm fully confident that if I get to draw back on an Elk , the deal is sealed . I'm just interested in how others react and deal with that moment before release and really appreciate the input Guys .
Dave, I actually was more worried after the shot than at full draw.......
but packing an extra pair of shorts is always a good idea
Old 04-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by m9a9g9i9c
Dave, I actually was more worried after the shot than at full draw.......
but packing an extra pair of shorts is always a good idea
Lol!!! Good one!!
Old 04-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not shoot tradational. I use a bow that has "Training wheels" and I rifle hunt.
I get worried for a split second then I remind myself this is what I have been waiting for all year. I do practice often during the off season with my bow & rifle. I do not miss very often and I have shot enough game to control my emotions. I settle down and take the shot when everything feels right.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

Just take a deep breath and focus on your sights and where on your game it is going to hit. The shakes last year cost me a buck so I have to work on this too. Good luck
BigBuck95
Old 04-18-2010, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL , you Guys kill me

I keep reading the comments on this thread and think to myself , different people react different ways and I for one will not know till that Elk steps out in front of me how I'm going to react , but I will keep all these comments in my head as a reminder and maybe that will help

Rev , mums the word .... I'm really lookin forward to hunting with Russ and think he will help me bucket loads when we meet .
Old 04-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave,

Remember, "patients is a virtue." If it's meant to be, it will happen. Visualize the moment in your head beforehand -thousands of times (it's mental practice). Hash out what you intend to do. Run several scenarios. Bring yourself into the "zone". If you prepare this way, and when the moment is upon you, you will find your sub-conscious and instincts will take over (we'll be calling you Mister Automatic). When and if your heart starts racing-you feel yourself slipping-Slow Down! Close your eyes and get control! When you've regrouped, open your eyes and re-engage! It's better to have the memory of a missed opportunity than the memory of a wounded elk shot in haste or panic.

I'm in your corner....cheers!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Typical Buck

IamY, last time I took a shot at a doe she was standing in a herd and I had to pick one. If I had closed my eyes to get a grip they would have moved on.....
But I agree that training your subconscience is the best way to deal with these moments.......
three rules that apply to every situation; be prepared, stick to the plan and don't panic.
The fourth rule of bringing and extra clean pair of shorts didn't pass the bill..........

F.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your input Will , you always seem to make perfect sense of any subject hunting related and it also helps that I'll be hunting with you again this year and you will get to see the result of your wisdom

I'm counting the days Buddy

Frank

when are we gonna get privelege of your company on Elk camp

Last edited by Bailsuk; 04-21-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bailsuk
Thanks for your input Will , you always seem to make perfect sense of any subject hunting related and it also helps that I'll be hunting with you again this year and you will get to see the result of your wisdom

I'm counting the days Buddy

Frank

when are we gonna get privelege of your company on Elk camp
Dave, I just maxed out two creditcards in the US and I have a wedding to pay in july...we'll talk in 2012....

F.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Spike

When I'm watching or hearing a deer work it's way to me my heart starts beating a mile a minute and I get that sudden adrenaline rush. But once I know I'm going to take the shot and it's in my shooting zone, I settle down and am rock solid. I don't focus on anything other than the back of the front leg and about about a third of the way up the chest, everything else is out of my picture.

I've always been like this though. I didn't do any special exercises or techniques, nor do I have any quirks that help me focus and settle down. I'm fortunate in this, it's just something I was born with. I'm a shaking, weak kneed, mumbling fool after I make the shot though, especially when I see or hear the deer go down. It's crazy how fast the adrenaline can push itself out and back in again. A buddy of mine on the other hand is a nervous wreck through the whole thing and has messed up many opportunities. He can't control it at all. Sucks for him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.