Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Controlling yourself at that moment >

Controlling yourself at that moment

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Controlling yourself at that moment

Old 04-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steve , thats a fair answer and I suppose I will only know when it comes to that moment

Frank , at least I know how you react

Sam and Ryan , that's a real honest account and kinda get the feeling my reaction will be somewhere along the same lines .

Don't get me wrong , I'm fully confident that if I get to draw back on an Elk , the deal is sealed . I'm just interested in how others react and deal with that moment before release and really appreciate the input Guys .
Old 04-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my limited experience, the "shakes" and heartbeat that's so loud you'd swear the deer are going to hear it both come before the shot ever presents itself. Once the deer is in range everything calms down for me and I'm on auto-pilot. One thing I started doing last year worked really well for me. As soon as I saw a deer I would start mentally quoting something or even mentally humming the theme song to a TV show. What began as a desperate attempt to focus a part of my mind on something besides the fact that there was a deer on the way became a normal thing for me. When I found that it worked, I stuck to it. The first time I tried it I used the theme song to "Bonanza" (it seemed appropriate.) I've used a short children's book I used to read to my kids and I've also used Mark Antony's speech from Julius Cesear (I still remember that from High School.) Anyway, it works for me since it gives me something else to focus my mind on. Hey, you asked how we dealt with the pressure.

Last edited by LittleChief; 04-13-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LittleChief
In my limited experience, the "shakes" and heartbeat that's so loud you'd swear the deer are going to hear it both come before the shot ever presents itself. Once the deer is in range everything calms down for me and I'm on auto-pilot. One thing I started doing last year worked really well for me. As soon as I saw a deer I would start mentally quoting something or even mentally humming the theme song to a TV show. What began as a desperate attempt to focus a part of my mind on something besides the fact that there was a deer on the way became a normal thing for me. When I found that it worked, I stuck to it. The first time I tried it I used the theme song to "Bonanza" (it seemed appropriate.) I've used a short children's book I used to read to my kids and I've also used Mark Antony's speech from Julius Cesear (I still remember that from High School.) Anyway, it works for me since it gives me something else to focus my mind on. Hey, you asked how we dealt with the pressure.
If it works LittleChief , who am I to question it . Great idea though .
Old 04-14-2010, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

In most cases people don't control it well at all. I do believe archery hunters have to learn to control that better than most because it's easier to screw it all up.

There's alot of instances it doesn't bother me at all. 4x4 bull standing in front of you not really a big deal. Same scenerio with a 300+ bull standing there a lil added blood pressure. But there's a point where everything slows down and the focus gets alot better after each animal you kill with a bow. I flung arrows back in the beginning. Now I aim at them. But that's a 20yr difference.

Some people are born stone cold and some make themselves that way over time. But everyone can get rattled at one point or another. I finally got to take a bear with a bow about ten years ago. I could control everything breathing, steadiness, aim, release, follow through. But the entire time all that excitement went to my right foot dangling off the tree stand. I thought for sure it was waving like a flag in the wind. I guess it wasn't too bad the bear didn't see it. lol But it sure feel like it was gonna run off on me.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

I always seem to get that boost in adrenaline and have to calm myself down for the shot. Start breathing heavy and shake some.

Last yr I had a strange experiance with a doe. I saw her about 70 yards out and she worked her way up to me. (I was using blackpowder) took maybe 3 or 4 minutes for her get to about 35 yards and gave me a perfect broadside shot. I was as relaxed and calm as if I was shooting targets in the back yard.

I never got the boost in adrenaline or the shakes. But once I fired the gun it kicked in, she ran towards me and stop 5 yards from my stand and fell over dead. I found it weird at first that I was so calm for the entire time.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bailsuk
Well I'm back out hunting Elk this September with Will and a whole gang of other HNI and BH.com members , I cannot wait to get back into the Colorado Rockies and take in the sights and sounds of the Mountains .

My question is this :-

How do you prepare yourself for that moment the Elk , Deer , Bear or whatever the Game you are hunting steps into shooting range and presents that broadside shot to you . Do you get nervous , shake , sweat or does everything just fall into place and you release , take into concideration that I'm shooting Trad gear and have still to Kill my first Big Game Animal
Dave, IMHO there is No substitute for experience in killing animals. Some learn to control the excitement, and many never do. I just focus on the spot I want to place the arrow and go about the business at hand. If I get excited it's once I'm looking down at my Trophy!

Dan
Old 04-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Site Buck Guru

I've killed a decent amount of deer including some fairly big bucks. Like MeanV said, experience is the best teacher. What works best for you?

This is what I do for any animal that I hunt.

Once I spot an animal, I try to determine if it is one that I want to shoot. When I decide that I want to shoot, I switch all focus to a spot I want my arrow to hit and how I'm going to get it there. No more looking at the antlers (worst thing you could do), just the spot, where the animal is traveling and how I'm going to get the arrow off, quietly and Score!

This works best if you really study deer/animal anatomy along with pics of different shot angles. That spot that I pick has to make for a quick clean kill. After that it is all experience.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dan

You're a cool customer Buddy , I hope I can get 1/10th of your experience in my lifetime . I have goals , but I need more experience first

Greg

I know you are right about picking the spot , I have only ever hunted furry stumps and had no problem releasing , put an Elk in front of me and I don't honestly know how i will react . As for picking which animal I will take , I'm in this sport right now to gain experience and any Legal Elk will do , I'll concentrate on A Big Bull at a later date
Old 04-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

typically, i am very good about keeping cool and just making the shot...even my first bow kill...i was so frustrated with the morning and had a buck slip by earlier when i see him, i just stood up, drew, and drilled him...

thats the key is not thinking about it...just DO IT..

this years bow buck though, it was my 7th hunt..ive yet to SEE a deer..havent seen a deer up close in almost a full year...i seen him coming through the saplings and he looked like a monster...(just because it was one of the first "decent" bucks ive had that close with a bow in my hands..90" deer) anyways, when i seen him, i stood up or was already standing..cant recall...but my right leg started twitching up and down uncontrollably..i dont know how he didnt hear my boot hitting off the stand..after i realized it was happening i had to actually LIFT my leg to stop it from hitting the stand...then i quit looking at him..took a couple breaths and went into "kill mode" as i call it...just completely focused on the shot and the moment..nothing else...i knew he was legal and knew i wasnt passing..so i went into kill mode..cleared my mind and when he went behind a tree i drew..when he stepped out i drilled him..

ive had people watch me..even my first deer ever..and tell me i control myself very well...after the shot, all bets are off..i might loose it..i was shaking 15mins after i killed my first bow kill so bad my buddy had to climb up and help me down lol...the guy i was with when i killed my first deer thought i was gunna pass out from breathing so hard...

but, ive killed a bit of game..and spend alot of time behind the trigger or bow...making the shot is pretty much 2nd nature to me...on good hunts, its hard for me to remember what happened because i wasnt thinking about it..i was just doing it..

im probably bit of a freak that i can go into such a mode..i dont know...i never thought about it till guys on forums asked about controlling it..then thought about how i do it...

ive been fortunent enough to see ALOT of deer in my days and ALOT of deer up close...i shot a deer in rifle season that i could honestly stabbed if i had a bayonet on my rifle...ive had bucks in small game and fall turkey pretty much lick my boots before i started bow hunting...

i still get the shakes and get a little nervous and stuff..but its typically not too bad...this year was the worst by far and alot of it was just because i havent seen a deer in almost a year...and i knew it was a good buck for me and that got me pretty pumped..
Old 04-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think you're going to be hunting with Russ, just concentrate that he doesn't shoot you in the butt.. hahahahah... I love messing Russ he's so easy to mess with, I've hunted with him, he's top notch! We live two miles apart and I consider Russ a friend. ( don't tell him I said so )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.