Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow axle length

Old 04-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Spike

Default Bow axle length

I recently purchased a short axle bow. Having a hard time in my opinion getting what I consider good groups. At 20 yards I have about a 3 inch group with 4 arrows. It seems like if I hold the grip in a different way regardless of anchor point and where I put the pin I will shoot in a different spot. Sometimes high sometimes low. Will a longer axle bow help with this a little or at all? I use the same anchor point everytime. It just seems like there is no room at all for error. Would a heavier stabilizer help me at all in this area?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

A short axle to axle bow is not as forgiving as longer a to a. Any movement or tension in the grip or ancor point will be accentuated due to the shorter power stroke. You will definitely get more speed from the shorter bow, but forgiveness is sacrificed.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:04 AM
Spike

I have a Maxxis 31. My buddy has an Alphamax 35 and we may be able to swap. I seriously think I could shoot the 35 a lot better. I just don't know if I want to give up my Bone Collector Maxxis. I love the bow it's just a little rough to shoot for me.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

If you are bow hunting and you are deviating 1.5 inches in either direction from your exact point of aim at 20 yards and your target is a couple inches behind the shoulder center rib cage seems to me that any of those 4 shots will result in a dead deer.

Maybe you should put up a 3-D deer target and see how your shots look impacting something like your quarry. You may find that your grouping is perfectly adequate for the task at hand.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Axle to axle is not what you should look at when looking for a forgiving bow imo, riser length is where you get your stability.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know they say shorter axle bows are less forgiving, which surprised me when Matthews came out with the DXT after the Drenaline.

ie the Drenaline was longer than the DXT axle to axle and the dren came out 1st. Made no sense to me, I remember thinking I'd still have bought the dren over the dxt.

Btw, try shooting some groups at 30 and 40yds, see how these groups do. I tend to shoot better groups at longer range, I attribute this to higher focus, whereas at 20yds I know im going to hit the target...
Old 04-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Spike

At 30 yds my groups are almost identical in size maybe a 4inch group with 4 arrows. At 40 it's a different story, I am all over the place, it is very annoying. I hate to think I could have a 200 inch buck at 40 yds and not be able to shoot it with my bow. And the bow has a 7 in brace height.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

My Voyager is all riser!! 34ata
Old 04-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CelticSavage
At 30 yds my groups are almost identical in size maybe a 4inch group with 4 arrows. At 40 it's a different story, I am all over the place, it is very annoying. I hate to think I could have a 200 inch buck at 40 yds and not be able to shoot it with my bow. And the bow has a 7 in brace height.
Before you give up,try working with some different stabs,I have had this problem in the past where my groups at 20-30 were not that bad but any further and I couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a fist full of rice,I had some old stabs and worked with different lenghts and weights,and was amazed at how differently my groups changed with each one,I found that for me a longer stab with end weight not only gave me exellent 40-50yrd groups my 20-30yrd groups improved to the point that I can't shoot at the same target without wrecking arrows.
Maybe it can help you also!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Spike

At 20 yds I Robin Hood arrows a lot. I was thinking a stab would help me at distance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.