Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Destroyer 350....is the 6" BH too short for me? >

Destroyer 350....is the 6" BH too short for me?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Destroyer 350....is the 6" BH too short for me?

Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Destroyer 350....is the 6" BH too short for me?

been out of bowhunting for 3 years now, but was very avid before. Owned or shot just about every Mathews, Hoyt, and Bowtech made up till' 3 years ago.
Went to my local archery pro shop Saturday and shot the Bowtech Destroyer 350 against several other bows...

WOW........

That's all I could say....No possible way the draw cycle of that bow should be as smooth as it is. Only took about 6-8 shots to get used to the drop into lefoff. Super fast. Super quiet. Super smooth.......but has a 6" brace height.

I'm wondering if for a hunting bow if the 7" BH destroyer 340 would be better????? Or is this one of those rare bows that can shot by most relatively well at its 6" BH???

Also, I had a "draw length suprise". I've ALWAYS shot a 28.5" draw. It's always fit me perfectly. I draw back this 29" Destroyer 350 expecting it to be a tad long.......and it was a tad short.
Felt like a 27.5" or 28" draw. Double checked with the pro shop and sure enough....29".....weird.

Any input on the BH and the "shorter for me" draw length would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is really going to be a personal preference. With the string stoppers they have out now the shorter brace height will be less of a problem for slapping your wrist. The only other consideration I can think of is the arrow stays on the string for an inch longer but that also increases your speed. If you shoot it good and like it I would say go for it.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMO the shorter BH bows of today are very much more forgiving than just a few short years ago.

I still think those with 29" draws and longer would be better off staying with the 7" BH.

The 28" draw on my 350 seemed spot on. I have shot 28" for several years.

My 350 is currently receiving major customization!

Dan
Old 03-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I chose the 340 over the 350 due to the longer brace height and less reflexed riser. The straighter the riser the quicker it settles in your hand and the less torquie (is that a word?) it becomes.

If you have been shooting a Mathews or PSE you have actually been shooting with a draw length about 3/4" longer than marked on the cam. I don't sell, shoot or work on many Hoyts so I can't comment on Hoyts. All of my bowtechs have always been within a 1/4" of what is marked on the cam or module.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Agree with everything above. bigbulls is spot-on... Had a friend of mine who's a pretty big name in the hunting world change sponsorships to Mathews. He couldn't understand why he needed to go 1/2" shorter on his draw length... LOL

I've got a 340 and absolutely LOVE it... with another customized 340 on the way. My first one IBO'd out at 338 with a 7" brace height... I simply don't see the need to have any more speed than that.

To me, it's the best of both worlds: incredible speed (at least "I" think 338 is pretty incredible... ) AND forgiveness and shootability.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MeanV2
IMO the shorter BH bows of today are very much more forgiving than just a few short years ago.

I still think those with 29" draws and longer would be better off staying with the 7" BH.

The 28" draw on my 350 seemed spot on. I have shot 28" for several years.

My 350 is currently receiving major customization!

Dan
hope you put up pics in 'technical' for us to see. =) that is a sweet bow. wish i had the money for one of them things. =)
Old 03-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kdtanner228
hope you put up pics in 'technical' for us to see. =) that is a sweet bow. wish i had the money for one of them things. =)
Most definitely will post some pics!

I'm probably still a week or 2 from being done

Dan
Old 04-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every single destroyer I have sold this year has run an inch long on draw length measured ATA... so don't really put much faith in what the cams say... set that baby so it feels right and sizes up correctly for you.

The difference in speed is really academic between the two... if you are concerned about forgiveness... then take the 340 and don't look back.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Greg / MO
Agree with everything above. bigbulls is spot-on... Had a friend of mine who's a pretty big name in the hunting world change sponsorships to Mathews. He couldn't understand why he needed to go 1/2" shorter on his draw length... LOL

I've got a 340 and absolutely LOVE it... with another customized 340 on the way. My first one IBO'd out at 338 with a 7" brace height... I simply don't see the need to have any more speed than that.

To me, it's the best of both worlds: incredible speed (at least "I" think 338 is pretty incredible... ) AND forgiveness and shootability.
Last years mathews were a full inch... this year... just a half. Totally agree with you there Greg... and I'm a Mathews guy.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Spike

I was worried about the short brace height at first. That was until I shot it, when I decided it was time for a new bow I drove around for two days shooting all kinds of different bows. But the Destroyer felt like it was just for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.