Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadheads

Old 03-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Spike

Default broadheads

well today i got out shooting my bow and i decided to put out my broadhead target and shoot my broadheads and field points to see if they would fly the same because i havent ever really done it before being a fairly new bowhunter. my first shot was at 20 yards with my field point and it was right were i wanted it so then i shot my broadhead and it didnt shoot anywhere near where my field point did and the arrow didnt really fly true. at 20 yards it shot about 6 inches lower and about 6 inches to the right of my field points. my first thought was thats why i missed 2 deer this year with my bow this past season. i want yalls opinion on this, should i tune my bow to shoot with these broadheads or should i buy some new ones to see if they shoot more like my field points. i have a hoyt avenger bow and was shooting muzzy 3 blade broadheads. if you think i should look for new broadheads what would be yalls opinion on a good broadhead that for you shoots like your field tips? i know every bow shoots different broadheads different but i would like to know what flies good with your bow.

thanks for any replies.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tune the bow so you can shoot the broadheads.

Personally, I shoot Grim Reapers, and Atom's and they both fly very well.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VaWhitetailHunter
well today i got out shooting my bow and i decided to put out my broadhead target and shoot my broadheads and field points to see if they would fly the same because i havent ever really done it before being a fairly new bowhunter. my first shot was at 20 yards with my field point and it was right were i wanted it so then i shot my broadhead and it didnt shoot anywhere near where my field point did and the arrow didnt really fly true. at 20 yards it shot about 6 inches lower and about 6 inches to the right of my field points. my first thought was thats why i missed 2 deer this year with my bow this past season. i want yalls opinion on this, should i tune my bow to shoot with these broadheads or should i buy some new ones to see if they shoot more like my field points. i have a hoyt avenger bow and was shooting muzzy 3 blade broadheads. if you think i should look for new broadheads what would be yalls opinion on a good broadhead that for you shoots like your field tips? i know every bow shoots different broadheads different but i would like to know what flies good with your bow.

thanks for any replies.
Personally, i can get just about any bh to impact the same as my fps. Its all about have properly spined arrows with a properly tuned bow.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Which BH? (junk BH will not fly right because they are not weighted evenly)

first check spine, if you are 100% then you need to raise your nocking point and move your rest to the left. start out moving your rest about 2/32" then move it 1/32" after you re-shoot.

if you don't feel the need to do any of this and from the sounds of it you never shot the BH before you went hunting to even see if you could hit the target at 20 yards...go pay $40 and shot the rage...atleast that way you will hit what you are aiming at.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JNTURK
Which BH? (junk BH will not fly right because they are not weighted evenly)

first check spine, if you are 100% then you need to raise your nocking point and move your rest to the left. start out moving your rest about 2/32" then move it 1/32" after you re-shoot.

if you don't feel the need to do any of this and from the sounds of it you never shot the BH before you went hunting to even see if you could hit the target at 20 yards...go pay $40 and shot the rage...atleast that way you will hit what you are aiming at.

Even mechanicals can fly differently than field points if the bow is not tuned properly. Penetration can also be adversely effected...... Somehting a Rage does not need hampered.

Make sure you bow is properly tuned. Arrows spined correctly. And form is consistent.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend downloading and reading Easton's tuning guide - particularly the section on BH tuning. There are several reasons for BH's not impacting the same as FP's. You should investigate all possible causes and eliminate them - probably in the order of form, spine, nock point, then rest position.

http://www.willowcreekarchery.com/Ea...ning_guide.pdf
Old 03-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Spike

I use 100 grain field points and use rage 2 blade broadheads..And they fly the same...I have a martin compound with easton carbon arrows..
Old 03-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Even if you shoot the mechicals the bow still needs to be tuned!! Here is some pics that I stole from another site but follow the directions and that should take care of things.
Attached Thumbnails broadheads-broadhead-tuning-1-small-.jpg   broadheads-broadhead-tuning-2-small-.jpg   broadheads-broadhead-tuning-3-small-.jpg   broadheads-broadhead-tuining-4-small-.jpg   broadheads-broadhead-tuning-5-small-.jpg  

Old 03-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

One more pic!
Attached Thumbnails broadheads-broadhead-tuining-6-small-.jpg  
Old 03-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's the link:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...oad+head+tuing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.