Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shed Hunting Tips >

Shed Hunting Tips

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed Hunting Tips

Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default Shed Hunting Tips

Do you have any tips that you have developed over the years of shed hunting?

I've been out probably 10 or 11 hours this year walking and haven't found any.

I usually try to check out all the creek crossing, the fence rows, logs over runs, overhanging branches, and some of the bedding areas that I find while I'm out, but I still haven't found any.

Give me some advice!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

get there before your neighbors and tresspassers do , the places you have described that you are lookin should produce horns if the bucks are there and given nobody has allready walked your ground for you its bad to say but it happens alot i found a older guy walking my ground this year and when confronted about it he said he had bn walkin that ground for 30 years . and truth betold hes pry guna keep on walkin it
Old 03-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you are looking in the right spots, but don't over look the corn fields. I have found most of my sheds this year in the field. It is pretty boring, but you have to do what you have to do if you want them.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kickin_buck
Sounds like you are looking in the right spots, but don't over look the corn fields. I have found most of my sheds this year in the field. It is pretty boring, but you have to do what you have to do if you want them.
Iv done this but cheat, find a high spot where you can look down some rows and get the good ole binocs out move accross the rows to see more, kinda the lazy way but when the fields are big.. its nice
Old 03-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

englum If your like me and want to find as many sheds as possible (before the competition, rodents etc. do) in as little time as possible on each tract or parcel of land open to you, skip the trails, fence lines and creek crossings etc. I wasted numerous hours, days, shed seasons etc over the years searching trails, creek crossings, fence etc. It wasnt until I started to concentrate the majority of my time searching in very thick bedding area's and fields that I started finding sheds almost every trip out. The reason I spend 90% + of my time searching these 2 area's ( of course you have to identfy where they are bedding and feeding) is because bucks are spending 90 + % of their time in these 2 area's. And since bucks are spending 90 + % of their time in these 2 area's , there is a 90 + % chance the bucks will drop their antlers in these 2 area's. In short spend your time searching where the bucks spend the majority of their time in, searching trails etc. is like looking for a needle in a haystack because most bucks will use different trails every day to get from their bedding area's to their feeding area's and vise versa. The only time I walk trails etc. is if im trying to learn the area or pattern a particular buck that I was hunting, got pics of or found sheds too. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 03-18-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

But next year I plan on completley changing my tactics on finding sheds!!
Next year my plans are to take a lawn chair and a cooler full of beer smack dab in the middle of the woods, pop open a cold one, prop me feet up on the cooler and then let Shed Pup do all the walking up and down steep hills and getting torn to shreds by green briar and multa-flora rose etc. Pike

[/

Last edited by J Pike; 03-18-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

hey Pike that's very cool!!! Had my hunting springer out with me a few springs ago, lost a drop tine buck the fall before, he takes off and comes back with the skull, makes me smile everytime I look at that euro mount
Old 03-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. How do you guys train them to do that? I got a 1.5 year old golden retriever, is it too late for her?

Ryan.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron now thats very cool!! I would have loved to see your face when your dog strolled up to you carrying your lost buck!

my7-pt, No its not to late, Does your dog currently have a drive to hunt and retrieve? if you have any sheds take every other toy she has away and give her the shed and let her fall in love with it, play fetch and tug a war with it etc.
Then get out in the woods and find as many fresh sheds as possible as soon as possible.
When you find them try your best to keep your scent of them,only handle them with a plastic glove (not latex) or plastic bag etc.
then put them in a plastic garbage bag etc. and then store them in a tupper ware container.
But for now start with any shed regardless of age. If you dont have any I might be able to hook you up with a few or you can buy couple off ebay to get started. What part of central PA. are you from? Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 03-18-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

my 7-pt here is a very good deal on ebay and they would be perfect to get started. But still get out and get some fresh sheds. Pike
http://cgi.ebay.com/Deer-Antlers_W0Q...item4a9f5b16fe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.