Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broad Heads

Old 03-18-2010, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
What are some good expandable broadheads to use.
I've heard so much about "Rage"broadheads and how they are the best

But others say they never work.
You'll find that when talking about mech b-heads... you will ALWAYS have a handful of folks that have nothing good to say about them, regardless of any proof that you could offer.

Of course, most negative feedback on any model of mech b-heads generally comes from folks that just shouldn't have been shooting them in the first place, wether they have poorly tuned set-ups, poor shooting skills, or just any combination of factors that aren't going to produce decent results with ANY b-head. Mechs are a tool.... not a crutch!

I've had excellent results with Rage 2 blades, Rocket Steelheads and Rocket Sidewinders, just to name a few.

However, in my opinion, I believe a person should be shooting slightly more poundage or a higher level of KE than "average" if its the large 2" cutting Rage that you wish to hunt with or your penetration will suffer.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

i use the nap bloodrunner and had great luck with them this year recovered every animal i shot with them even a buck that a bad shot on (neck) fell within 80 yards , when you go to look for new heads check out the bloodrunner or any other nap like the spitfire xp all there heads are good plus there one of the companies that have stood the test of time and they have great customer service , check them out
Old 03-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't really say anything negative about Rage broadheads because I've never shot them. Personally, I don't care for what I see when I look at them closely.

I switched from 1 3/8" to 1 3/4" Grim Reaper Razortips this past season. I was intially worried about penetration using a 3 blade mech that was that big, but I needn't have worried. All four of my bowkills this past season left a bloody arrow sticking up out of the dirt just like the other nine in the two years before that.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I have complete faith in Grim Reaper. I have had excellent results with them. I like the idea that the blades are held closed by inner spring tension - no O rings required, no blade rattle, 100 percent dependable and every bit as devastating, if not more so, as any broadhead out there.

Whatever broadhead you end up choosing, just make sure that you put it where it needs to go and it'll kill the deer. Good luck!

Last edited by LittleChief; 03-18-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

The rage 3-blade have did great with me, I have NO problems with them.. I love the huge holes and the crazy blood trails.. This is the only mech. i've shot but I have also used G5 montechs, slick tricks, and thunderheads (back in the day).. Out of these 3 I would say the montechs were the best, the slick tricks were junk in my opinion and I only shot then for a short time before switching back to the montech to finish out the year.. The only thing I didn't like about the montechs was the lack of blood.. So i switched to the Rage and have been shooting them for 2 years now with nothing but good results..
Old 03-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

Spitfire expandables...http://www.newarchery.com/products/1.../spitfire.html
Deadly
BigBuck95
Old 03-18-2010, 04:58 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ryanhill
i use the nap bloodrunner and had great luck with them this year recovered every animal i shot with them even a buck that a bad shot on (neck) fell within 80 yards , when you go to look for new heads check out the bloodrunner or any other nap like the spitfire xp all there heads are good plus there one of the companies that have stood the test of time and they have great customer service , check them out
i AGREE THERE GREAT, SHARP AND OPEN EASILY ON THE ANIMAL.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had experience with Spitfires, and they ain't no joke! I've NEVER had one NOT open, and they leave a gaping hole! I only use them with my CB though.

I prefer a 100gr Muzzy 3 blade for my compound though. Which is what I hunt with 98% of the time. The CB is for when I get desperate.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

I bought some Rage 2-blades last year. I never shot one at a deer but when I was sitting in my ground blind I had problems with them. They would deploy when I would pop one out of my quiver or whenever I accidently bumped my bow. I was worried that they would open at the worst possible time. I sold them and bought some Epek XC-3's. They seem much more solid. I will give the XC-3's their first test on turkey's this spring and again this deer season.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

100 gr Grim Reaper 1-3/8" Razortips for me. Never once let me down on deer, bear, hog, turkey, etc.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Talking Wow

Wow some of those pix are awesome!
I hope this year I can put a hole like that in a elk.
I am going to use rage broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.