Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How Long??

Old 03-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got my start in bowhunting 27 years ago when a high school friend called and said they had a left handed used Bear Whitetail Hunter for sale at the shop he worked at. I went down and bought it. Here I am having bowhunted 5 states and 4 species and looking to add to both of those numbers before I am done. I love learning more each year and now look forward to passing it along to my son if he is willing.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started bowhunting in 1987 at the age of 12. Started out hunting with my dad and my uncle, now its me and my 2 sons.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe I'm going on 25 years this year bowhunting. The 1st 10 of them were with a compound. I lost Interest with them and the direction they were going. The following summer my dad bought me a custom recurve for my birthday. Going on 15 years with that same recurve. I'm not going to lie, hunting with my recurve has been a struggle at times but It comes with the package.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Schultzy
I believe I'm going on 25 years this year bowhunting. The 1st 10 of them were with a compound. I lost Interest with them and the direction they were going. The following summer my dad bought me a custom recurve for my birthday. Going on 15 years with that same recurve. I'm not going to lie, hunting with my recurve has been a struggle at times but It comes with the package.
That's ironic Steve how one will start with one type of bow and move to another, and then another will do exactly the opposite.

There really is No wrong or right way to do it as Bowhunting is and always should be a personal choice.

I know I don't agree with everything you choose and I know that goes both ways, but I do respect you as a BowHunter and would gladly share a Bear camp or any Bowhunting camp with you anytime.

I'm envious of you being where you can bait and hunt Bears as a resident! I'd Love to be able to do that but I don't see any Bear population ever being in So. IL in my lifetime

Dan
Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Dominant Buck

That's ironic Steve how one will start with one type of bow and move to another, and then another will do exactly the opposite.
I just figure some people place a lot more emphasis on the "end result" than they do the "manner of taking".

Nothing wrong with that.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

And Some people care what they take. While some obviously do Not.

Not as many Brown & it's down hunters around here any more, but there are a few. I used to be the same way, several years ago.

Like you said nothing wrong with that. It's a personal choice!

Dan

Last edited by MeanV2; 03-17-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I used to be the same way, several years ago.
Nothing wrong with that way, now. Like you said....
There really is No wrong or right way to do it as Bowhunting is and always should be a personal choice.
I agree. The fact that you and I don't subscribe to "Brown is down" is neither here nor there.

Last edited by SWThomas; 03-17-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been chasing whitetails here in IL since 1988, scored my 1st deer the following season and I've been addictively chasin' 'em ever since!

What fnally got me curious enough to take up bowhunting in '88 was that in the summer of '87 we found an old Bear Kodiak Magnum recurve in the garage of a house my buddy had just moved into. We shot that old recurve until we had blistered fingers, yet we loved every minute of it. I remember us joking about what it would be like to try actually try to hunt with a bow! My how times have changed for us! LOL!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

I bought my first bow because I was refused to obtain a licence for a 9mm glock when I was 18. I was so made I bought the bow and the meanest arrows I could find. I went back to the policestation and showed them what I got instead. ( you need to get a licence before you buy a handgun and they can refuse to give you one without a reason but not for bows )
It was a PSE USA spirit and I shot that bow for about 10 years, fingers and kisser.....
About 5 years ago I moved to a different part of the country and I came across a cobwebbed bow in my garage. After shooting and missing a lot of target I decided to buy a new bow. I got a bowtech tomkat and started taking seriously practicing. The first time I shot the bow I badly burned my arm due to too much DL.
The inside of my arm got red, blue, black and then green....
But I was hooked and after making some buddies on HNI I really got serious. I started shooting dutch and belgian competition with a hunting rig and killing the competition.
Last year I shot my first doe and now I'm hooked.
I'm coming to FL in april to hunt me some hogs...
So I can't begin to thank all the nice guys on HNI who helped me out with everything from stance, form and aiming...

F.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

my first bowhunt was when i was 13 back in oz so thats 1977 i figure which means i been out in the woods for 33 years and i hope another 33 or more to go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.