Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Is bowhunting "all" (or mostly) about the challenge, to you? >

Is bowhunting "all" (or mostly) about the challenge, to you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is bowhunting "all" (or mostly) about the challenge, to you?

Old 03-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

In 2004 I was still hunting with multiple weapons throughout the hunting season. I hunted with bows, muzzleloaders, and shotguns. I killed my second archery buck the first week of the 2004 hunting season. I then killed a 6 pointer with my muzzleloader in mid-November the same year. Even though the hunt for the 6 pointer was a heck of a hunt, I did not feel the same when I walked up on that buck. In fact, I kept thinking to myself, "I wish I would have killed that buck with my bow". Every deer I have killed since that 6 point has been with my bow. The entire bowhunting experience is intoxicating.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

its a way of life
Old 03-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Well said Little Chief.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bow season is pretty much about the kill for me. Pike
Old 03-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a passion fueled by the highest adrenaline rush. When you gun hunt you feel the rush but it's not as intense. The level of intensity from bowhunting is almost addictive. Finally, when you gun hunt as a bowhunter you immediately notice that it's so easy compared to bowhunting i.e. limited stealth, scent control, camo cover, movement and most of all limited skills.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

theres plenty of bow only public land near me so i usually bowhunt all season long.most public rifle areas are 2 hour or more drives.

i just love bowhunting bought a recurve this year,thats going to be fun to play with when i get a chance to hunt with it.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

At first it was about the challenge. To me, gun season was getting too easy. See a deer shoot it, season over. Now with archery, it is being quiet, scent control, scouting, more time with nature. Sometimes I don't even care if I see a deer. Having a chipmunk run across your boot, having a grey fox withing ten feet of you, seeing a fisher or a bobcat is all worth the price of the license. I also hunt from the ground without a blind so that is even more of a challenge. I dont always get a deer but when I do, it is worth it to me because of the satisfaction of how I got it.
My uncle came up from Florida one hunting season(gun) and was bragging about his gun. He had a Weatherby 300 mag with a scope on it that cost $3000 and all the money he had invested in it. I turned around to him and said huh, I killed my deer this year with a $3 arrow. He turned and left. I just chuckled under my breath as he walked away. There was another point of satisfaction of bow hunting.........lol

Last edited by aldo88; 03-28-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Is it? Or is it something else? More time in the woods (extending your deer/other game seasons)?

If it is about the challenge.....do you find yourself "uppping" that challenge......or looking for ways to make it easier? Give examples of either.

No wrong answers.
Don't get me wrong, I love to hunt with a gun, but bowhunting takes patience, work, scouting and opportunity seizing, if you will. Not that gun hunting doesn't, it's just that most of the time a.) you don't get a second chance, it's one and done and b.) you have to get that animal to within close range. Its an adrenaline rush...

BigBuck95
Old 03-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

I took up bowhunting basically because I am a police officer and I need to learn patients. But after a few trips to the woods it turned more into a passion and challenge everytime I get to go hunting I am excited and sadened when I have to leave the woods. But can't wait to get back in the woods this fall and do it all over again.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, its mainly about being able to get out in the woods earlier. Being active in bow season gives me an extra 50 days I can be in the woods. I love being in a deer stand too much to miss out on that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.