Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Is bowhunting "all" (or mostly) about the challenge, to you? >

Is bowhunting "all" (or mostly) about the challenge, to you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is bowhunting "all" (or mostly) about the challenge, to you?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always loved the up closeness of bowhunting. The fact that the deer has to be so close for me to get a shot. But one of the things that I've always loved is the fact that 10 minutes after I settle in to my treestand nothing in the woods knows that I'm there and the animals go about thier daily routine. Plus I just love shooting a bow.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love deerhunting.... the entire process. Here in IL, hunting with a bow, you get to spend over 100 days per season chasin' 'em. It's were I belong.

Initially it may have been to spend more time in the woods and obviousy tag more deer. These days, it's about spending as much time as possible hunting, but the prey are only mature deer. The animals that seem to provide the maximum challenge... the older, smarter, rarer deer of the woods are the ones that seem to keep me going. It seems I spend my life here in the midwest trying to constantly close the distance... I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Can't really say anymore than what hasn't already been posted lol its just an awesome sport and passion. It demands patience and discipline, skill and accuracy, everything that makes it a great challenge. And for me its also a link to a place where I feel at piece with the world and all the stress that comes with it. Its a form of meditation. And putting down an animal at 25 yards that never knew you were there is pretty kewl too
Old 03-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

For me it is the opportunity to be in the woods with a greater chance of not seeing another hunter, and seeing the deer behave in their normal day-to-day routine. The challenge is nice as well, along with more comfortable temperatures. Mostly though it is the hunting solitude.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just like shooting deer. The long bow season allows me to do much more of this.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Site Buck Guru

Never thought of it as a challenge. I think of it as sort of a privilege that I enjoy immensely. However, I enjoy the challenges I encounter while partaking in my favorite hobby.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GregH
Never thought of it as a challenge. I think of it as sort of a privilege that I enjoy immensely.
That's a good way to look at It too. Good stuff Greg!!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's about a lot of different things, and I'm not sure if I'm going to express this right.
At first it was about more time afield, and quickly fell in love with everything about bow season. Solitude, challenge, time of year, closeness to game etc etc.

Then I found ways to up the challenge and that was cool too, but to be honest, when it comes to bucks, it is FAR less challenging for me to kill one in archery season than it is our gun season. I would never have killed the number or quality of bucks, if I only gun hunted.

I enjoy gun hunting still, mostly because I do so with handguns.

Bow hunting is still my favorite thing to do, but its because of everything that bowhunting encompasses, including that it's a "challenge" and including it's "easier".
Old 03-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bowhunting is my passion. Just wish I had a place to hunt, Lol.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've Bowhunted for 40 plus years, a lot of you guys (not all) don't know what a real challenge was. Greg, how was Bowhunting back in the late 60's where you were?

I can hunt every day of the season in IL and as cornfed said it is long. For me it's about matching wits with a certain class animal, although I am out to fill the freezer as well.

I don't feel like filling the freezer is much of a challenge anymore, as I can do that pretty much whenever I'm ready. There are challenges to be had though.

Neither the Hunt for a P&Y class buck or the quest to fill the freezer is successful until a kill is made. If I felt any other way I'd leave the Bow at home. It may not be politically correct but I am a killer. I always have been. I Love it!!

While I enjoy the solitude and quietness of sitting in a treestand while dawn breaks. I would Not hunt without the chance, and anticipation of the Kill.

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.