Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Is bowhunting "all" (or mostly) about the challenge, to you? >

Is bowhunting "all" (or mostly) about the challenge, to you?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is bowhunting "all" (or mostly) about the challenge, to you?

Old 03-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bowhunting to me, is sitting in the quiet woods with anticipation. Yes, I love the challenge of a close range encounter, and I do like the kill. But mostly it's about the being alone. Not to be confused with lonely. People are not in the equasion, and I like that a lot. It's about watching nature go on undisturbed (until I get a shot) and realizing how lucky I am to be able to climb a tree and watch it all. ALONE.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Site Bouncer

To be honest with you Jeff, bow hunting is just another reason for me to be able to hunt. The challenge (or lack there of) doesn't even factor in.

I try to use different types of weapons not for the challenge they bring but for the uniqueness and fresh approach they offer.

I like the nostalgia of a stick bow or the mystique of the revolver, the high tech of a compound or the long distance calculating of a rifle.

Anything to make my experience in the woods longer and exciting, I'm all over it!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot at my 1st Deer in 1957 with a recurve & wooden arrow & I was hooked. I had always shot some type of homemade Bow since I can remember. 1958 I killed my 1st Deer & that sealed the deal. I never had the desire to hunt with anything but a bow & arrow after that. I don't know if it's the thrill of "usually' being so close b/4 the shot or what. Yes, I enjoy the long season ect. ect. but thats not it-it's just the love of a Bow & Arrow & seeing what I can do with it.

I see nothing wrong with those who use a gun to hunt or whatever. I did a lot of bird & small game hunting in my early years & it was great. With 8 years Military behind me, I also know what I can do with a M-14 & M-16 a long ways down the road.

So, I guess it's just that I love "using" a Bow & Arrow.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I like the nostalgia of a stick bow or the mystique of the revolver,
Good call, there, John. I sure hope to take a deer with a handgun, someday, myself. I'm gonna have to get a LOT more accurate with it, though!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Schultzy
Good bunch of post's here everyone!!

To me there's no quieter time In the woods then bowhunting. A person can learn so much just sitting there listening and enjoying what mother nature throws at ya.

As for the challenge In bowhunting. There's a few different ways one could go about this. I'll use whitetails for an example. You could up your challenge with the type of buck your after- whether your going for age, more Inches, or up and close hunting (20 to 30 yard max). You could also make It more challenging by what choice of bow you shoot. I myself go the traditional route and no doubt It ups the challenge and besides I'm not a fan of the high tech stuff so the traditional route Is better for me anyway. Everything I listed Is pretty much the way I bow hunt. It's up and close hunting and at the same time I'm trying to shoot some of the better bucks that are In the area. Doesn't pan out too often but that's the challenge and one I enjoy (most of the time).

All In all It's a little bit of everything for me.
Well stated Steve, very WELL STATED!!!

For me it started out as a way to begin the season early or extend the season. I started out gun hunting when I was 13, not coming from a "hunting family," I'd always loved the woods, just not hunted up to that point. When I was 16, I bought a crossbow because I knew I could use it to get me out there more often, the following year came a compound. And ever since then, I've been addicted. it took me nearly 10yrs of bowhunting to finally kill something. I learned LOTS of tough lessons along the way, but once I finally killed something, it was REALLY an addiction. AS success happened w/ bowhunting the thrill of gun-hunting died, and in 2002, I gave up gun-hunting completely. I've learned MOST of what I've learned on the fly, trial and error, reading magazines, whatever. Never really had a "mentor," but in many ways, it makes every success feel that much better. I'll never be a "great hunter" but I'll always be a persistent hunter!!!

Last edited by OHbowhntr; 03-17-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

30% extends the season
40% the "thrill" of the challange, chase, and as others have said the "up close and personal"
30% love eating the meat.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:28 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

I just love being in the woods and participating in nature as opposed to just observing it. I love to just sit and watch nature, but there comes a point where I have to get on my feet and participate. What little bit of "challenge" I look for in bow hunting comes from taking a Deer while both feet are planted firmly on the ground. It makes them all trophies, especially with archery gear. Therapy in it's purest form.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

i aint sure, i think i just like to shoot my bow, but i probably woulda never picked one up if there wasnt a bow season .....but im glad i did i guess cause I have alot of fun trying to get to a deer with it...i took hntngurls advise and acted like the deer had mack 10's and made it to where i had to get to them before they get to me, and had a good time trying to act paranoid a deer was tryin to kill me...good laughs..

i probably shoot more than most, not all, but most ...and if it hadnt been fer bow season i may have never picked a bow up.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

Mostly the challenge, the harder the challenge the better,I pretty much gave up gun hunting unless the freezer is empty.
I gave up on treestands about 4 years ago to increase the challenge.
And as soon as work picks back up and I can afford too, I plan on making the switch to traditional equipment,and would love to do as BC stated and take game with a bow I made myself that would have to be an awsome rush!
I love being in the woods in the fall has to be the most peaceful and relaxing place I have found,even more so than having your knees in the breeze!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:07 AM
bigcountry

here's a good way to tell if its challenge or extending the season or just an opportunity to chase the rut, or just warmer weather hunting.

If bow season came after gun season only, would you hit it as hard?

I know for me, I would not. I would go, and still go. More just spot and stalk with my longbows. Nothing more challenging than chasing a big deer after guns have warned him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.