Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Do you really NEED it?  Why? >

Do you really NEED it? Why?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you really NEED it? Why?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 AM
bigcountry

I used to think I had to have a shelf. But I have been shooting off my hand pretty good lately. I used to think I had to have D97 string. But I have been doing good with linen and sinew string (fragile), but I have narrowed it down to 5 things. Bow, solid one piece wood, string (can be linen or rawhide), wood arrow, weighted tip (can be obsidian, metal, glass, etc), and fletchings.

I don't need fiberglass backing, shelves, phenolic overlays, antler burr bevels, hand wraps, D97 string, or even silencers. But I like em

Old 03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by early in
I'll just say, the things on my bow each have a specific function to help me be as consistant, accurate and quiet as possible. I "want" them on there for that reason. Could I shoot without them? Yes. Could I shoot WELL without them? NO.
Good Answer! Obviously being as accurate as possible isn't important to some, as long as there is more challenge to it.

I BowHunt to Kill! If I didn't then I would be a nature Lover and take pics. Whatever allows me to be as effecient, and accurate as possible within the legal rules I will take advantage of.

I got all the challenge I wanted back in the late 60's, early 70's. I now make the sport challenging by limiting the size of animal I will put a tag on not by using equipment that I would obviously be less accurate with.

To each their own, and whatever floats your boat

Dan
Old 03-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Obviously being as accurate as possible isn't important to some, as long as there is more challenge to it.
I'll bite, explain this one.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Site Bouncer

Heck I think it's all want as far as I'm concerned, but I'll play.

I think all that's really needed is a string and an arrow (bow and some kinda broadhead are a given) to get the job done.

I can remember shooting my first compound bow off the shelf for two weeks before I could afford a prong rest for it. The sights didn't get put on till the next year. Of course I didn't hit a damn thing but I was out there slinging em! LOL
Old 03-16-2010, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

What else do you "need"? Why?
IT IS SAFE TO SAY THAT WE DON'T NEED MOST OF THIS NEW FANGLED GEAR. BUT, THE HI-TECH EQUIPMENT IS PART OF THE EXPERINCE FOR ME. I LIKE TINKERING WITH DIFFERENT SET-UPS IN SEARCH OF EFFICIENCY AND ACCURACY. IF YOU WERE DROPPING ME OFF ON A DESERTED ISLAND FOR FOREVER, THEN I WOULD WANT A RECURVE WITH A SHELF AND NO SIGHT. BUT OTHERWISE, MY ONLY CONSTRAINT IS THAT I SHOOT A VERTICAL BOW. SOMEDAY, I MAY TRY CROSSBOWS WHEN MY SHOULDERS GO - WHO KNOWS?

A MODERN COMPOUND PROVIDES ME THE BEST OPPORTUNITY TO HARVEST WHITEAILS WITHIN THE ARCHERY SEASON. DESPITE THE FACT THAT SHOOT EVERY OTHER DAY, I KNOW THAT I COULD NOT KILL AS EFFICIENTLY WITH A TRAD SET-UP. I COULD RESTRICT MY SHOTS AND HUMANLEY HARVEST WITH A TRAD SET-UP BUT I LOVE KILLING/EATING THEM TOO MUCH. I GUESS I AM NOT MUCH OF A PURIST.

Has perceived bow noise been an issue for you in the past?
QUIETER IS ALWAYS BETTER.

Have you tried to mitigate the problem with a heavier arrow?
YES, CURRENTLY AT 425 GRAINS. I HAVE WENT AS HIGH AS 480.

Maybe turn down the #-age?
NO, I SHOOT AT THE TOP OF MY BOW'S RANGE (60 LBS).
Old 03-16-2010, 04:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kwilson16
What else do you "need"? Why?
IT IS SAFE TO SAY THAT WE DON'T NEED MOST OF THIS NEW FANGLED GEAR. BUT, THE HI-TECH EQUIPMENT IS PART OF THE EXPERINCE FOR ME. I LIKE TINKERING WITH DIFFERENT SET-UPS IN SEARCH OF EFFICIENCY AND ACCURACY. IF YOU WERE DROPPING ME OFF ON A DESERTED ISLAND FOR FOREVER, THEN I WOULD WANT A RECURVE WITH A SHELF AND NO SIGHT. BUT OTHERWISE, MY ONLY CONSTRAINT IS THAT I SHOOT A VERTICAL BOW. SOMEDAY, I MAY TRY CROSSBOWS WHEN MY SHOULDERS GO - WHO KNOWS?

A MODERN COMPOUND PROVIDES ME THE BEST OPPORTUNITY TO HARVEST WHITEAILS WITHIN THE ARCHERY SEASON. DESPITE THE FACT THAT SHOOT EVERY OTHER DAY, I KNOW THAT I COULD NOT KILL AS EFFICIENTLY WITH A TRAD SET-UP. I COULD RESTRICT MY SHOTS AND HUMANLEY HARVEST WITH A TRAD SET-UP BUT I LOVE KILLING/EATING THEM TOO MUCH. I GUESS I AM NOT MUCH OF A PURIST.

Has perceived bow noise been an issue for you in the past?
QUIETER IS ALWAYS BETTER.

Have you tried to mitigate the problem with a heavier arrow?
YES, CURRENTLY AT 425 GRAINS. I HAVE WENT AS HIGH AS 480.

Maybe turn down the #-age?
NO, I SHOOT AT THE TOP OF MY BOW'S RANGE (60 LBS).
Very Well said!!

Dan
Old 03-16-2010, 06:42 AM
Dominant Buck

FWIW....GregH has a cool photo of his trad. deer............from when he was a BOY!

Just sayin'.

Carry on.

GREAT answers KWilson! Thanks.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BigJ71
Heck I think it's all want as far as I'm concerned,
I think that pretty much sums it up. Cause and effect. We want to hunt so we need a weapon in order to hunt. We want to bowhunt, so we need a bow. We want to be more accurate, so we need a rest, sight or release (or a gun ). We want to be more lethal, so we need the sharpest or biggest broadhead. We want to keep up with the Joneses, so we need the newest, fastest, flashiest bow out there with all the bells and whistles.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Spike

the real issue here is not who wants and who needs. the facts are clear. let me give you an example:

put two archers on the same shooting line at 25 yds. both are very experienced shooters. one shoots a compound with all of his 'fancy' accessories. the other shoots a traditional set-up(rest only).

now decide who you would be more comfortable with allowing to shoot an apple off of your head.

i mean come on guys, if you want to be deadly accurate, you do 'need' all the gear. it all helps. it wont make you perfect, but it will make you shoot better if you have experience with a bow. that is a fact.

P.S. Dan, i hope you read this. keep up the good work bro.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by kdtanner228
the real issue here is not who wants and who needs. the facts are clear. let me give you an example:

put two archers on the same shooting line at 25 yds. both are very experienced shooters. one shoots a compound with all of his 'fancy' accessories. the other shoots a traditional set-up(rest only).

now decide who you would be more comfortable with allowing to shoot an apple off of your head.

i mean come on guys, if you want to be deadly accurate, you do 'need' all the gear. it all helps. it wont make you perfect, but it will make you shoot better if you have experience with a bow. that is a fact.

P.S. Dan, i hope you read this. keep up the good work bro.
this post does not makes sense. Are you saying that only rifles with scopes should be allowed to hunt with? I disagree. Because anyone knows a rifle is more accurate of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.